The Coronation.

18 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

What a load of crap kwilco. The first documented coronation in English history was William the Conqueror on the 25th of December 1066. After him came William known as Rufus reigned from 1087 until 1100 so until you research the British monarchy I suggest you stop posting drivel. Our history can be traced to Exhibits in the Tower of London built by William the Conqueror in the 1070s from Henry the VIIs Armour to the chair used for the last execution at the tower in WW2 that my friends is History. We had a crowned king in 1066 and we have a new one now in 2023. suck it up boy's over a Thousand years of English kings and Queens. God save the King.

Oh dear an amateur historian. The monarchy relies on types like you. Ignorance is bliss and you use terms like "documented" in the hope it makes you sound more informed - I'm afraid it just shows how little you understand about ENGLISH, Scottish, Welsh, British history...you don't even understand how tenuous the continuity is. I guess it makes you feel secure believing in fables and stories as "documented" (you obviously don't know what the documents are) and it helps you cling to a simplistic and blinkered view of history as just justification to your own existence today.

I can't even see how you think this "chain of events" you have erroneously catalogued has any justification for today's bun-fight

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stoner said:

england is not exactly on the path to recovery these days. the money could of been spent much more effectively. 

denounce your throne and give all the money and land back to the people of england.

The money is a drop in the ocean, less than a months cost of putting up illegal immigrants in hotels.!

9 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

What a load of crap kwilco. The first documented coronation in English history was William the Conqueror on the 25th of December 1066. After him came William known as Rufus reigned from 1087 until 1100 so until you research the British monarchy I suggest you stop posting drivel. Our history can be traced to Exhibits in the Tower of London built by William the Conqueror in the 1070s from Henry the VIIs Armour to the chair used for the last execution at the tower in WW2 that my friends is History. We had a crowned king in 1066 and we have a new one now in 2023. suck it up boy's over a Thousand years of English kings and Queens. God save the King.

Not true the first coronation at Westminster Abbey was in 1066

I quite liked Charles when he was in touch with nature. He was talking to plants and liked fishing in the lake at Buckingham Palace.

Then he got his head turned by undesirables. He hasn't been the same since.

I was in West Africa when Diana died. Very sad.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

But there is a bottom line - This is good for the UK, its good for the UK economy - the UK brings in more money from having a Royal family than if it didn’t and I believe the Royals work very hard for what ultimately is a life in the public eye under extreme criticism many of us would hate... 

Damned well said. Kind of makes many of the anti-monarchy arguments moot.

In addition, what benefit does becoming a republic bring to the UK? It essentially already is. The monarchy is pretty much in name only and has virtually no negatives for the average Brit. Elizabeth II was incredible for the UK. I bet she worked harder than most of her detractors, right up until her death. Charles will do the same, given half a chance.

I would never swap my life of zero privilege with their privileged yet 100% public life (not that I'd ever have the chance). They live in a goldfish bowl.

Imagine not ever being able to enjoy Soi 6.

1 hour ago, stoner said:

i live in thailand but do hold a british passport. ????

Me too.

However I did do my bit for the Queen and country with 25 years in the RAF, followed in the late 1980s by helping to build the 1G mobile phone systems for both Vodafone and Celnet.

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Me too.

However I did do my bit for the Queen and country with 25 years in the RAF, followed in the late 1980s by helping to build the 1G mobile phone systems for both Vodafone and Celnet.

congratulations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kwilco said:

Oh dear an amateur historian. The monarchy relies on types like you. Ignorance is bliss and you use terms like "documented" in the hope it makes you sound more informed - I'm afraid it just shows how little you understand about ENGLISH, Scottish, Welsh, British history...you don't even understand how tenuous the continuity is. I guess it makes you feel secure believing in fables and stories as "documented" (you obviously don't know what the documents are) and it helps you cling to a simplistic and blinkered view of history as just justification to your own existence today.

I can't even see how you think this "chain of events" you have erroneously catalogued has any justification for today's bun-fight

Do you understand what History is Kwilco or are you just winding up members with your anti-monarchy comments before you carry on look in a Dictionary under History? we have a thousand years of it or would you rather overlook that part. As for Westminster Abbey, I don't believe I posted where the earliest Coronation was but History tells us it was indeed William the Conquerer in 1066 at Westminster Abbey. We had "English" Kings before 1066, but no "British" kings until 1700s. Quoted by you Kwilco wrong again. Here is another 1 from the Amateur Historian Henry the V111 was born in Greenwich in 1491 and Crowned in 1509 where do get your 1700s from Kwilco? please enlighten us.

7 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

Do you understand what History is Kwilco or are you just winding up members with your anti-monarchy

I have 2 history degrees and I'm not an anti-monarchist. you have displayed absolutely no indication at all they you know what history is.

Unlike some who blindly slaver and droll over an ill-conceived delusion of what the monarchy actually is, I KNOW what it is, I know what the constitution is and know what it involves and what part in a democracy it plays.

People who don't present one of the biggest current threats to British society.

19 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

Do you understand what History is Kwilco or are you just winding up members with your anti-monarchy comments before you carry on look in a Dictionary under History? we have a thousand years of it or would you rather overlook that part. As for Westminster Abbey, I don't believe I posted where the earliest Coronation was but History tells us it was indeed William the Conquerer in 1066 at Westminster Abbey. We had "English" Kings before 1066, but no "British" kings until 1700s. Quoted by you Kwilco wrong again. Here is another 1 from the Amateur Historian Henry the V111 was born in Greenwich in 1491 and Crowned in 1509 where do get your 1700s from Kwilco? please enlighten us.

Henry VIIII was King of ENGLAND - the The first king of Great Britain was King George I, who reigned from 1714 to 1727.

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Using funds from the Crown estate.

No - the British government pays - the Crown estate does NOT. this is not the same as the weddings or funerals.

Edited by kwilco
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

BTW - have you any idea what jingoistic point you are trying to make???

Edited by kwilco

Just now, kwilco said:

No - the British government pays - the Crown estate does NOT.

The government have received over 3 billion pounds from the Crown estate in the last 10 years.

They have paid out, by way of Sovereign Grant about 800 million. I think even you can work that out.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, kwilco said:

Henry VIIII was King of ENGLAND - the The first king of Great Britain was King George I, who reigned from 1714 to 1727.

No need for caps I'm not playing your games Kwilco The Thread is King Charles the 111 Coronation and the History that goes with it from 1066 until today stay on topic or move on.

35 minutes ago, kwilco said:

I hate to disagree, (No I don't!)

Queen Anne became monarch of the Kingdom of Great Britain after the political union of the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland on 1 May 1707.

There have been 13 British monarchs since the political union of the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland on 1 May 1707.

England and Scotland had been in personal union since 24 March 1603.

On 1 January 1801, the Kingdom of Great Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland merged, which resulted in the creation of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, which became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland on the secession of southern Ireland in the 1920s.

Queen Anne became monarch of the Kingdom of Great Britain after the political union of the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland on 1 May 1707. She had ruled England, Scotland, and the Kingdom of Ireland since 8 March 1702. She continued as queen of Great Britain and Ireland until her death. Her total reign lasted 12 years and 147 days.

George I  28 May 1660 – 11 June 1727) was King of Great Britain and Ireland from 1 August 1714 and ruler of the Electorate of Hanover within the Holy Roman Empire from 23 January 1698 until his death in 1727. He was the first British monarch of the House of Hanover as the most senior Protestant descendant of his great-grandfather James VI and I.

List of British monarchs - Wikipedia

Edited by scottiejohn

32 minutes ago, BarraMarra said:

No need for caps I'm not playing your games Kwilco The Thread is King Charles the 111 Coronation and the History that goes with it from 1066 until today stay on topic or move on.

So you've finally realised what nonsense you were talking - but still no point to it? 

I think a few Scots, and Welsh, even Irish will be feeling a bit left out by you.

Edited by kwilco

23 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I hate to disagree, (No I don't!)

Queen Anne became monarch of the Kingdom of Great Britain after the political union of the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland on 1 May 1707.

There have been 13 British monarchs since the political union of the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland on 1 May 1707.

England and Scotland had been in personal union since 24 March 1603.

On 1 January 1801, the Kingdom of Great Britain and the Kingdom of Ireland merged, which resulted in the creation of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, which became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland on the secession of southern Ireland in the 1920s.

Queen Anne became monarch of the Kingdom of Great Britain after the political union of the Kingdom of England and the Kingdom of Scotland on 1 May 1707. She had ruled England, Scotland, and the Kingdom of Ireland since 8 March 1702. She continued as queen of Great Britain and Ireland until her death. Her total reign lasted 12 years and 147 days.

George I  28 May 1660 – 11 June 1727) was King of Great Britain and Ireland from 1 August 1714 and ruler of the Electorate of Hanover within the Holy Roman Empire from 23 January 1698 until his death in 1727. He was the first British monarch of the House of Hanover as the most senior Protestant descendant of his great-grandfather James VI and I.

List of British monarchs - Wikipedia

James 1 was King of England and Scotland - to begin with she was Queen of Scotland England and Ireland  after the act of Union under Anne- and George 1 was the first to be crowned King of Great Britain. Read my post....looks like you've had to Google everything - you should learn how to research rather than search and read the statement you are referring to properly.

Edited by kwilco
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, youreavinalaff said:

The government have received over 3 billion pounds from the Crown estate in the last 10 years.

They have paid out, by way of Sovereign Grant about 800 million. I think even you can work that out.

The Crown is institution of the British monarchy and represents the reigning monarch.

The cost of the Crown is funded through the UK government's Sovereign Grant, which covers the costs of the official duties of the monarch, including the maintenance of the royal residences, travel, and salaries for the staff of the royal household.

In the financial year 2021-2022, the Sovereign Grant amounted to £85.9 million. This is a significant reduction from the previous year, which was £87.5 million, due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the royal household's activities.

It's worth noting that this figure doesn't include the additional costs of providing security for members of the royal family, which are covered separately by the government.

It's also worth mentioning that the UK monarchy is estimated to bring in significant revenue through tourism and other sources, and the cost of the Crown is subject to ongoing debate and scrutiny.

Security doubled the real cost of this coronation - none of this is paid by the King

19 minutes ago, kwilco said:

The Crown is institution of the British monarchy and represents the reigning monarch.

The cost of the Crown is funded through the UK government's Sovereign Grant, which covers the costs of the official duties of the monarch, including the maintenance of the royal residences, travel, and salaries for the staff of the royal household.

In the financial year 2021-2022, the Sovereign Grant amounted to £85.9 million. This is a significant reduction from the previous year, which was £87.5 million, due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the royal household's activities.

It's worth noting that this figure doesn't include the additional costs of providing security for members of the royal family, which are covered separately by the government.

It's also worth mentioning that the UK monarchy is estimated to bring in significant revenue through tourism and other sources, and the cost of the Crown is subject to ongoing debate and scrutiny.

Security doubled the real cost of this coronation - none of this is paid by the King

Nice bit of cut and paste from a republican website. 555

5 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Nice bit of cut and paste from a republican website. 555

show me - its my words - I'm always amused that if I use some of my own writings people think i've cut and pasted it from somewhere else.

However rather than go for the messenger, how about presenting a counter argument - I guess you can't

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

show me - its my words - I'm always amused that if I use some of my own writings people think i've cut and pasted it from somewhere else.

However rather than go for the messenger, how about presenting a counter argument - I guess you can't

error

Edited by kwilco

Charles just looked exhausted. At least till the balcony scene when he managed a little animation.

(Admittedly almost any movement could make the crown fall off or go skew-whiff, which wouldn't be a good look.)

I was looking forward to watching the Coronation..

I have TMN Television, the Coronation started well,   then the screen went blank for 30 minutes, (no service), then came back on, this went on   for the  duration of the Coronation off, on, off, on,  at least 12 times

Time to find a new provider

• Thumbs Up 1