The Coronation.

1 minute ago, Celsius said:

I used to watch coronation street decades ago. A fine programme 

It's still going you know. But Buggernation Street on You Tube is much funnier.

king Charles 111 !!!!!!

If you want to wax lyrical about our newest monarch @BarraMarra do, at least take the trouble to get his title right! He is not the one hundred and eleventh of his namesake.

King Charles III

Edited by Moonlover
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, actonion said:

I was looking forward to watching the Coronation..

I have TMN Television, the Coronation started well,   then the screen went blank for 30 minutes, (no service), then came back on, this went on   for the  duration of the Coronation off, on, off, on,  at least 12 times

Time to find a new provider

BBC was fine (and free).

31 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I used to watch coronation street decades ago. A fine programme 

Ena Sharples and Len Fairclough.....don`t make em like that anymore :cheesy:

p.s. God save King Charles ????

1 hour ago, bendejo said:

Coronation?  Oh, is that the thing Harry was at today?

:wink:

Not for long bendejo once the Gold Coach left for Buckingham Palace Harry was back on the Tube to Heathrow to fly back to the US.

• Haha 2

aussie mates      are complaining its a load of rubbish ,religious mumbo jumbo and twaddle ,muslims will feel its not for them ..stones in  the royal regalia was looted generations ago from colonised nations 

who else thought they looked faintly ridiculous on the balcony in ermine and crowns? not to say miserable, did either smile once. I watched the Windsors series off Ch 4 last week so maybe that made them look that way, very funny series with harry Enfield as Charles, gets Camilla spot on.

Edited by proton

22 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

There's no point in telling how ignorant the Anti-royalists are there brain hasn't got the capacity. 

Thought the Muppets Show is back on Screen when I've seen some pictures in the news.

5 minutes ago, proton said:

Not this old whine again, Brits abolished the slave trade in 1807 then spent a fortune over 60 year trying to stop it and freed over 100k slaves of the African coast. Meanwhile a king in Nigeria wrote to Q Victoria asking her to let him continue selling slaves as the ban was coasting him a fortune!

Indeed. People forget how many black leaders became I credibly rich because of the slave trade.

Edited by youreavinalaff
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, billd766 said:

Thank you.

I was proud to have served and still proud of it some 39 years later.

I took my oath to the King this morning, out loud at home.

The words have changed a bit since the one I took in January 1960 but the meaning is still the same.

I saw no reason not to take the oath especially as it is not compulsory, and it was my choice.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, proton said:

who else thought they looked faintly ridiculous on the balcony in ermine and crowns? not to say miserable, did either smile once. I watched the Windsors series off Ch 4 last week so maybe that made them look that way, very funny series with harry Enfield as Charles, gets Camilla spot on.

Not me.

There is a group of anti Royalist in the UK called the Republic UK who wish to abolish the Monarchy.

To me they are simply a very noisy group of people trying to tell the millions of people in the UK that the Monarchy should be abolished,

Out of curiosity I did a search on the internet and came up with this,

https://www.republic.org.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmN2iBhCrARIsAG_G2i7ydYpVhf9qlC8-Zd4XCw2FbLLLun2_3gzxd5dtmPh1NB8OEOgV3rYaAhWHEALw_wcB

Why we protest
This great country of ours is full of creativity, potential and possibility. The problems we face can mostly be traced back to our flawed political system, one that puts too much power in the hands of too few.

The campaign for a republic is about democratic reform, democratic principles and ridding the country of an institution that serves itself and those in power - the few, not the many.

Most people in the UK believe in democratic values and the importance of democracy in creating a prosperous and fair society.

About Republic
Republic is a membership-based pressure group campaigning for the abolition of the monarchy and its replacement with a directly elected head of state.

We represent all Britain's republicans, bringing the case for a republic to a wider audience while scrutinising the actions of the royal household. We are strictly non-party political and have the support of over 80,000 republicans.

We are a democratic organisation, led by our members and underpinned by a set of core principles.  We are an inclusive movement, with members and supporters from across the political spectrum and from a diverse range of backgrounds.

They have over 80,000 supporters and believe in democracy, but casually ignore the millions who celebrated yesterday.

They also complained about the cost of the coronation and moaned about the taxpayer having to pay for it all. They also conveniently ignored the Sovereigns' List and the income from tourist which more than covered the costs.

AFAIR the majority rule in a democracy but nowadays it seems as though they only need to shout louder and louder to get attention and the majority are simply ignored.

IF they ever get more than 35 million supporters I amy take some notice of them, though at 78 I cannot see that happening in my lifetime.

To me personally they are like the one annoying fly that is always buzzing around. but you can never catch.

That is my Sunday rant over.

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2023 at 11:33 AM, youreavinalaff said:

Indeed. People forget how many black leaders became I credibly rich because of the slave trade.

And the fact that many ‘whites’ were also dragged into the slave trade.... some suggest to a greater extend than blacks... 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_slavery#:~:text=In the mid-19th century,race of victims or perpetrators.

https://news.osu.edu/when-europeans-were-slaves--research-suggests-white-slavery-was-much-more-common-than-previously-believed/