Dark predictions as the opposition parties look set to sweep to power in next weekend’s Election

webfact

10 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Very unlikely the government will accept losing the election. Disturbances will occur, and the military will stage yet another coup 'to restore law and order'.

Not this time.

80% of the population want the military gone.

The country has never been so united.

The good guys have won.

34 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Indeed Thailand is not willing to reform, although it is very needed, but there is a chance now with the young ones, with new views because of the internet and hopefully a better education that shows how unfair the richest is getting richer, and surely the Shinawatras not want as anew coup glooms as the family wants to bring back the ones in Dubai. Yes I am optimistic, but I think i will be disappointed

You'll be disappointed.

Forget about your Western values and enjoy your time in LoS but don't bother trying to understand Thai politics.

I do wonder why foreigners think they have all the answers to an alien nation. Actually, mind-boggling. 

6 hours ago, h90 said:

The Move Forward is owned by an oligarch and heavily supported from outside.....So it will be only other people who feed on the tax payers money...But no one care for the poor people, they are just a way to get to the feeding trough

Interesting, didn't know MF is owned by an oligarch.I thought it was a grassroot movement of the young, the educated, the disenchanted, a new generation  fed up with the inequality and injustices of Thai politics and society. Who is this oligarch?

15 hours ago, rwill said:

Hopefully we won't be seeing this on every channel after the election...

a sign.jpg

I can remember that moment ... and the feelings of anger, sadness and powerlessness that went with it.

They also have a terrible taste in music but then again I wouldn't expect any better from those sorts.

• Like 2

We are the great Thai army. We are the noble ones. See how much great work we did in the past 9 years. You should let us rule for life. We love the power and the perks, and you are only lowly citizens. You are not important. Your well being is not important. We are important. Listen to us, and do not defy our will. Don't you understand these simple principals? 

566723.jpg

Prayuth-Chan-ocha-Thai.jpg

Edited by spidermike007
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, candide said:

When they lose, they will have a try at getting rid of the winners. It won't be a military coup, because they don't need it with their constitution. The constitution has been designed to this end: to "legally" get rid of elected governments the yellow/green elite doesn't like. 

Then of course, they will be protests. This time it won't be the red shirts, because they know (by experience) they can be killed.

It will be the new democracy protest. This is a big problem for the elite because they are the children of the core supporters of the elite. They cannot just open fire on them as they did on the NE "buffaloes" in 2010.

I hope you are correct.

10 hours ago, torturedsole said:

I'm not interested in Thai politics because a) I'm not Thai; b) I can't speak Thai; and c) I'm not interested in politics.

Although, my Thai wife (and long-time UK citizen) is interested in Thai politics and for reasons of their own, my wife and MiL are Prayut voters. I don't get involved and just nod in agreement like a good husband.

What I'm trying to say is - and entirely selfishly - I prefer the general peace and quiet since 2014 over the potential for turmoil after next week's election. 

What you are saying is that you support whoever has the most guns and is willing to use them.

10 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

The poor people vote for those they believe will best improve their lot in life.

Unsurprisingly, all of the current polling shows PT and MF monopolising that voting segment.

Perhaps you are not quite as informed as you believe yourself to be.

"The poor people vote for those they believe will best improve their lot in life."

That's what Thaksin did, and then he delivered, particularly in the north and northeast where the majority of voters live.  Barely literate parents accustomed to losing children to preventable diseases saw schools and clinics opened and roads built so their children could get to them.  They liked that, any corruption Thaksin was guilty of was secondary. 

That's what made Thaksin such a threat to the elite, he showed that democracy could work for the majority, not the privileged few. 

Inequity in Thailand is still so bad that the same approach still works.  The voters assume all politicians are corrupt so they vote for the corrupt politicians that will get things done for them.  Of course people who like the status quo (obviously that includes a great many expats) will use the corruption that has always been part of Thai politics to justify the next coup, just as they did with the last coup.  They of course ignore the fact that corruption is also at the core of the coup leaders.

• Love It 1

was going to post something but then I realized that we have no say so on anything happening here, although we adopted this country to live, spend money, take care of family and so forth, unfortunately we still have no say so, we are temporary allowed guests

the other point, my father taught me to enjoy life as much as possible, in order to do so, he said, don't discuss politics, religion and/or races, have been following his advise 555

• Like 1