Englishman fights for his life after motorbike crash in Phuket, Thailand

snoop1130

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

As you aren't a tourist , I don't see why you should be privy to any income for tourists .

I can see the retirees appeal though , they come to Thailand once and pay 300 Baht and they are full insured  throughout there lengthy stay, all funded by genuine tourists who just stay for a few weeks .

Tourists fund retirees medical expenses .

Agreed....   

What I have suggested as free emergency medical care is for Visa Exempt arrivals of upto 30 days. 

For those with Visa’s there is an opportunity to provide proof of Insurance at point of application (i.e. 60 day Tourist Visa / Non-Imm etc)...  The same for Extensions of Stay...  

Additionally, I have also mentioned (in this thread I believe), the possibility of allowing long-stay foreigners to ‘pay in to and enrol’ in the Thai National Health Scheme (when they are on resident Visa’s - i.e. Extension of stay based on Retirement / Marriage etc)...

50 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes, covered, they don't deliberately get sick on holiday. 

So people who need open heart surgery within six months , they can come to Thailand and get the surgery done for 300 Baht ?

If it means keeping them alive yes... 

But really how many people who are in need of open heart surgery are going travel halfway across the world to a country with such poor first response / poor emergency response and risk their life ???

Again... your ‘whatifery’ concentrates on the unlikely and extreme minority. 

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Moot point - with that level of ‘whatshouldery’ we’d live in a perfect world... 

... clearly thats not the case. 

Thus, realistic alternatives need to be discussed to ensure people who fail to protect themselves are protected...  Its easy to say its their own fault and walk away, but that neither solves or attempts to understand the problem.

How about refusing entry to Thailand to anyone who isn't fully insured for the duration of their stay and only giving them a permissions to stay for as long as they have insurance 

One weeks insurance = One week visa ?

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, but as you are not a tourist , why should you benefit from the money that tourists spend ?

I think this has been repeated enough that you should understand the point by now Mac... 

The suggestion I had (have) is that Thailand covers the Emergency Medical Treatment at Public Hospitals of those Visa Exempt Arrivals (for up to 30 days) who are uninsured.

Thus: Any of us living here would not benefit from this at all. This is about protecting tourists who may have overlooked insurance needs - its also excellent optics for tourism.

The proposal of 300 baht (by the Thai authorities) is fraught with logistical issues, I dont see how this could work.

Meanwhile, anyone with a Visa can either Provide prove of their own Insurance on application.

OR... they can opt into the Thai National Health Service and pay a yearly fee (however much to be determined).

24 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

How about refusing entry to Thailand to anyone who isn't fully insured for the duration of their stay and only giving them a permissions to stay for as long as they have insurance 

One weeks insurance = One week visa ?

I think the better option would be to provide a ‘desk’ which offered insurance for those arrivals who do not have insurance.

BUT....  this would create mayhem every arrival would need to be checked for insurance too.

This worked in Covid when there were far less flights...

But who would do these checks ???...   I’m not sure Immigration would be prepared to take the responsibly, and there is enough issue with queueing and delays at the immigration check already... 

so.. Would there be an MoPH check-point too ???...  Further check points can’t be good - no one wants that. 

What is definitely necessary though is a ‘practical broad-brush solution' to ensure such situations like those suffered by poor mans family do not happen.

On 5/10/2023 at 6:25 PM, Mac Mickmanus said:

So people who need open heart surgery within six months , they can come to Thailand and get the surgery done for 300 Baht ?

Thanks for providing an example showing why this discussion is pointless. 

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I do agree , discussion (here ) is pointless 

Any time you are in a discussion with people that only care about how altruistic they sound, while they never really consider what the actual results will be, and never suffer the ramification of their ideology it's pointless.

That said, it is often entertaining. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Any time you are in a discussion with people that only care about how altruistic they sound, while they never really consider what the actual results will be, and never suffer the ramification of their ideology it's pointless.

That said, it is often entertaining. 

Trying to take a different perspective, that of the doctors and nurses. What is the effect upon them of delaying/discontinuing treatment? They are, of course, tax and social security contributors themselves. However, they are in a caring profession and must get demoralised from seeing patients die who they could have saved?  

48 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Trying to take a different perspective, that of the doctors and nurses. What is the effect upon them of delaying/discontinuing treatment? They are, of course, tax and social security contributors themselves. However, they are in a caring profession and must get demoralised from seeing patients die who they could have saved?  

What is stopping them from continuing treatment? 

16 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

Nothing providing the family fundraiser keeps pace with the bills.

If the doctors that care so much waved their fees it would keep the cost down as well.

Do you have an example of someone with a good chance of survival being left to die in a hospital here for lack of funds? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

If the doctors that care so much waved their fees it would keep the cost down as well.

Do you have an example of someone with a good chance of survival being left to die in a hospital here for lack of funds? 

A most frequent and reliable contributor in Pattaya who no longer posts on Facebook reported that a friend of his, a retiree with no motor, accident or health insurance policy came off his moto, landing upon his head. No crash helmet. Government hospital saved his life. Moving forward, the guy needed brain surgery estimated at 1.5 million baht. Unable to pay, he was moved onto a ward of 40 dying patients where personal care continued until he passed away from his injuries. As to what his chances of survival were and what state he would have been in following the brain surgery we shall never know. Personally, I have no sympathy, the guy had choices, wear a crash hat, take a moto taxi, taxi cab, baht bus or walk.