Move Forward ‘fever’ changes political temperature as Thais prepare to vote in new government

webfact

image.jpeg

Move Forward Party “fever” is now spreading from online to on the ground, with its popularity clearly rising in the run-up to the May 14 election.

Loud cheers and long applause erupt wherever its leader Pita Limjaroenrat turns up these days. Observers say no other contesting political leader has been able to whip up such a phenomenon.

“The next step for Move Forward is to translate this popularity into actual votes of support, in the same way as Chadchart Sittipunt [did during the gubernatorial election],” said Dr Olarn Thinbangtieo, a lecturer at Burapha University’s Faculty of Political Science and Law.

Olarn is convinced that Move Forward Party will perform well in the general election, perhaps even capturing seats in provinces that have long been considered the strongholds of other political camps.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/move-forward-fever-changes-political-temperature-as-thais-prepare-to-vote-in-new-government/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-05-10

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

They will do very well. So well in fact that the coup maker will try to have them dissolved by his mates in the EC on some trumped up charge.

Indeed, although I suspect that the dissolution and wholesale bannings will not take place until after the election itself.

Thus a double whammy will be achieved, removal of the likely majority party in parliament, and the disenfranchising of the majority of the electorate.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

Indeed, although I suspect that the dissolution and wholesale bannings will not take place until after the election itself.

Thus a double whammy will be achieved, removal of the likely majority party in parliament, and the disenfranchising of the majority of the electorate.

If that happen, we will see protests that we never see before. It will not be red or yellow but students and youth demonstration which will be large and widespread. In the past youth demonstrations, majority of people agree with the demonstrations staged by young people and the Student Union of Thailand. They will also get the sympathies from parents whether yellow or red. Any untold incidents from the military and police that result in injuries or deaths will be explosive. I don't think any of the generals would dare cross this rubicon. Moreover this will be the first election under a new regime and he would not want his reign to start with chaos and mayhem.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

If that happen, we will see protests that we never see before. It will not be red or yellow but students and youth demonstration which will be large and widespread. In the past youth demonstrations, majority of people agree with the demonstrations staged by young people and the Student Union of Thailand. They will also get the sympathies from parents whether yellow or red. Any untold incidents from the military and police that result in injuries or deaths will be explosive. I don't think any of the generals would dare cross this rubicon. Moreover this will be the first election under a new regime and he would not want his reign to start with chaos and mayhem.  

I don't think he has a say. The deal was cut which preserved wealth, guaranteed status in return for ceding power.

The stakes are very very high. They may see little choice but taking the gamble.

They stole the country ten years ago. Since then they have run it as their personal fiefdom. I don't think they will give it up without a fight.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I don't think he has a say. The deal was cut which preserved wealth, guaranteed status in return for ceding power.

The stakes are very very high. They may see little choice but taking the gamble.

They stole the country ten years ago. Since then they have run it as their personal fiefdom. I don't think they will give it up without a fight.

It would have been 'éasier' if it is Pheu Thai as they can framed their boogeyman to "justify" their action. but not with MFP that has little political baggage.  

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Move Forward Party “fever” is now spreading from online to on the ground, with its popularity clearly rising in the run-up to the May 14 election.

Move Forward or Pheu Thai I don't really mind, or even if they have a coalition after the vote.

As long as the present regime of the two P's plus another P in uniform are kept away from politics and Anutin is shown the exit stage door.

On 5/10/2023 at 9:29 AM, herfiehandbag said:

I'm not convinced that's how it would work. Look back at when Future Forward was dissolved. The party name disappeared, was renamed Move Forward BUT none of the elected politicians were banned. Allowing for the same/similar scenario, even if MFP was dissolved all it's elected politicians would retain their seats and just register a new party name. Infact nothing would be achieved by the junta by just dissolving the party, EVERY elected MFP politician would also have to be banned from politics.

16 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

I'm not convinced that's how it would work. Look back at when Future Forward was dissolved. The party name disappeared, was renamed Move Forward BUT none of the elected politicians were banned. Allowing for the same/similar scenario, even if MFP was dissolved all it's elected politicians would retain their seats and just register a new party name. Infact nothing would be achieved by the junta by just dissolving the party, EVERY elected MFP politician would also have to be banned from politics.

Hard to stomp out that ingrained cronyism you say?