I think I completely missed the point about (not) having kids

Celsius

12 minutes ago, bignok said:

I agree, have a kid. Don't adopt. When it's 50% your dna it means more. Good luck.

Not sure how I could love my daughter anymore, simply because she has my DNA.

Aside from being there for the birth, surely an amazing experience, but not seeing how the rest would mean more or less, birth vs not.

Did you adopt also, to come up with that analysis ?

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

It may not be a popular narrative but children are for young people. Some countries will not do in-vitro for first time potential mothers if they are 40 or over. 

I agree. Thailand will do tho, even let you choose the sex of the child.

The cost is around 500,000b I believe.

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Kids cost a lot of money. And they often cause a lot of headache.

And, IMHO, anybody who wants kids should be committed to take care of them until they finish university.

Are you ready and able to do that?

Do you have a partner who is ready and able to do that, for the next 20 years or so?

I think parents should foremost think about what is best for the kids. And not so much that the parents want kids and maybe want to form them according to their wishes.

My youngest boy is 12 and I am 67.

I wouldn't mind another 1 or 2.

If its good enough for Bob DeNiro....... 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

i think there are two issue to consider here .....  I see adoption as just an excuse to fill a void in someone life,  it's kinda like you want a new toy so some go down the adoption road,  the other issue is age .... although OP is only 50yrs old,  when the child is 10 .... he'll be 60 ...  then when the teen is 16 and still enjoys the excursions with mum & dad he'll be 66yrs old ...  and that is getting on a little, and when he's 20, dad will be 70yrs old ....    not that any of this is wrong .....   just a couple of points to consider ..

Kid 40, dad 90. 

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

If you don't know by now. Forget it.

Surprises me that even in wartorn or drought-stricken countries, they still have time/urge to produce more babies. If it were possible, I would sponsor a vasectomy/sterilisation program in a lot of the poor countries instead of sending money to help them survive and have more. Snip snip.

They share food, houses. Kids arent expensive at all unless private schools. Kids help with house work and farm work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

If you don't know by now. Forget it.

Surprises me that even in wartorn or drought-stricken countries, they still have time/urge to produce more babies. If it were possible, I would sponsor a vasectomy/sterilisation program in a lot of the poor countries instead of sending money to help them survive and have more. Snip snip.

Totally agree except i would not limit it to "poor" countries. There are way to many people on this planet already

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Why then are there so many ads on TV asking you to send your £2 a month so the kids can get fresh water, get cleft palates fixed, all sorts of illnesses.

Makes it difficult to decide whether to adopt a donkey or a panda etc. or help cure cancer or dementia in UK.

I always wondered  why they don't build the villages nearer to the water supply ?   seems like common sense to me

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Have you and your lady considered adopting?

We tried 17 years ago. Far far too difficult and long winded. We went for IVF at the Nawabutr Clinic Bangkok and we had 3 children after 2 attempts. 

• Like 1

Whether you want them or not , I would think very seriously about what kind of life they might have given the way the world is currently going.

The planet needs more humans like Thailand needs a new temple or woman's hairdressers.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1