I think I completely missed the point about (not) having kids

Celsius

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The more you give your kids, the less they like you!

Therein lies the tightrope between giving them a good life or chance in life, and spoiling the #$@# out of them. Spending money on a good education and worthwhile activities outside of school is money well spent IMHO. 

Edited by AndyFoxy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

How much (if any) of their income did your parents spend on your upbringing (if any).

I never asked them.

I went to a decent school. My sister went to school, university with diploma and made her PhD. 

My parents didn't have to pay anything for that education, and it was reasonably good education.

In Thailand the situation is obviously very different starting with (pre) school and then university. For one of my international customers in Thailand the company paid more than a million THB per year for the school of his three young children. Another customer told me he paid 600,000 THB per term for a top school in Thailand for his daughter.

I don't know at what level of fees schools are good in Thailand. Talking to parents they all agree that the cheap schools are just bad.

38 minutes ago, AndyFoxy said:

Nothing more worthwhile than spending my money to give my kid a good life.

If I ever made the mistake of propagating, the LAST thing I would do is overspend on a kid of leave them much inheritance. That would rob them of what I found to be life's greatest pleasure, which is meeting challenges and making one's self a success.

Let the kid find out what he or she is made of.

10 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

‘The Single most significant factor’....    Thats globally and its the ‘aggregate’ answer.... i.e. the most important factor that influences the success of the majority...    as mentioned, there are always going to be outliers. 

Thailand may differ because its lower on the social-mobility scale than many of the countries we come from - its difficult for the poor to get a good education in the first place. 

That said, the vast majority of the wealthy here are educated, many overseas.... 

Thus, if planing and working for success here for your children - good education is important and that costs about 800k to 1 million Baht per year.

Ahhh but you see Richard it's the definition of success ???? of a happy healthy childhood, of pleasure in learning, not arduous tasking, send your kid to boarding school for a 'better quality' of education, but what of being raised in the family home, local lifelong friendships, being a success raising a child is surely not all about the salary they earn at the completion of education

What about the pressures taking a high salary job brings with it, is that success, or partial failure, to push your child in a direction you feel is good 

I told my son school is important to learn to communicate read write and do maths, once you have those skills choose your direction in life when you are older, that's it, at the moment he plays games all day, if that makes him happy ???? ok by me 

3 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

If I ever made the mistake of propagating, the LAST thing I would do is overspend on a kid of leave them much inheritance. That would rob them of what I found to be life's greatest pleasure, which is meeting challenges and making one's self a success.

When I'm on my deathbed, I'd like to know that I gave my kid the best chance in life that I could. Don't worry, he will still face challenges and have to find his own success, but at least I gave him a chance.

As for saying it is a mistake to propagate, it is purely an individual thing. If you want a kid, great. If not, great. Nobody is wrong.

Edited by AndyFoxy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bignok said:

Surgeons do 10 or 12 years of training.

I did 4.

Surgeons do get paid during said training, just not as much. Interns and registrars.

I am not knocking tradies, just your proposition. Tradies have to train too, as apprentices.

3 hours ago, bignok said:

A cherry-picked link, it is blatantly obvious Australia and NZ are  distorted building industry markets, due to demand generated by immigration and tax rorts.

I thought the topic was about having kids?

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

A cherry-picked link, it is blatantly obvious Australia and NZ are  distorted building industry markets, due to demand generated by immigration and tax rorts.

So why are you talking about surgeons? Very few kids will become one.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

The more you give your kids, the less they like you!

My solution was to impart my values, provide food and shelter pay for a good education. Anything else my son wanted, he had to earn and pay for himself. That's the way my father taught me.

On 5/10/2023 at 8:12 PM, Celsius said:

I agree. Thailand will do tho, even let you choose the sex of the child.

The cost is around 500,000b I believe.

I don't know man. It is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. You might feel a bit empty now, but adding a kid into the equation will likely overload you the opposite way. Stresses, worries and routines. 

Are you the type with a low tolerance for chaos ? 

Edited by Harsh Jones

On 5/11/2023 at 10:05 AM, BritManToo said:

biological son is great, 1 daughter wasn't mine also great.

Don't think DNA matters that much.

If I had to choose just one out of the seven it'd probably be the daughter that wasn't mine.

But you said your biological son is great, why would you not choose him?

1 minute ago, bignok said:
7 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Same reason you are talking about tradies, I suppose.

Richard claimed kids needed a great education to have a good life. Simply not true.

Meanwhile you repeatedly provide us with perfect examples of why education is so important - Reading comprehension for one.

I have never claimed ‘kids needed a great education to have a good life’.... 

I have claimed that ‘The single most significant factor influencing success is education’... 

For every trade example you provide there are significantly greater number of people without a good education working on minimum wage... & who works for those tradies? or in factories? - good life?

Your use of outliers and cherry picked ‘links’ highlights the flaws in your own education.

When evaluating the whole of society (in the vast majority of societies / countries)  it’s proven that ‘education’ remains the most significant factor towards success.

3 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Having kids, new born, when older than 50-60 yrs old, and good chance you won't be around for them, and they'll need to deal with your death .. and lack of financial support, when needed.

Do you have any narrower brushes in your repertoire?

33 minutes ago, bignok said:

Richard claimed kids needed a great education to have a good life. Simply not true.

Wrong...  There may be outliers who have skills and managed to start their own businesses etc without a good formal education... But there are so many more people without a good formal education who struggle and form whom life is quite rubbish.

This of course depends your metric of a good life.... IF working in factory 9-5... going home to an evening of TV, perhaps the Pub with mates on a Friday night... spending all year looking forwards to that 2 week Majorica holiday...  then the outlook may well be different.... 

But at least give children an opportunity, rather than wrongly deciding that ‘education’ is not necessary.

If you believe education is not necessary and refuse to prove your children with the best possible chance, you are selling them short.

Edited by richard_smith237

47 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You're the one arguing chemistry degrees and surgeons pay scales while mentioning toilet training for pets and avoiding becoming drug addicts.

Edited by NanLaew

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

This is one of the most ridiculous boomer tropes ever.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Do you have any narrower brushes in your repertoire?

None needed.  

I would not have a kid, knowing it would die before I would die.

Why would you put that on a kid, when the odds are, you will die before he or reaches their 20th birthday.  If not 10th birthday or earlier if born when you are 60.

My life expectancy was 67.7 yrs, and just pasted that now, by 6 months.  Only because of an 'almost' emergency, probably life saving medical procedure, about 6 months ago or that 67.7 would have been very accurate.

39 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wrong...  There may be outliers who have skills and managed to start their own businesses etc without a good formal education... But there are so many more people without a good formal education who struggle and form whom life is quite rubbish.

This of course depends your metric of a good life.... IF working in factory 9-5... going home to an evening of TV, perhaps the Pub with mates on a Friday night... spending all year looking forwards to that 2 week Majorica holiday...  then the outlook may well be different.... 

But at least give children an opportunity, rather than wrongly deciding that ‘education’ is not necessary.

If you believe education is not necessary and refuse to prove your children with the best possible chance, you are selling them short.

No I believe in choice. No one way to happiness. Lots of wealthy people are miserable.

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

Ahhh but you see Richard it's the definition of success ???? of a happy healthy childhood, of pleasure in learning, not arduous tasking, send your kid to boarding school for a 'better quality' of education, but what of being raised in the family home, local lifelong friendships, being a success raising a child is surely not all about the salary they earn at the completion of education

What about the pressures taking a high salary job brings with it, is that success, or partial failure, to push your child in a direction you feel is good 

I told my son school is important to learn to communicate read write and do maths, once you have those skills choose your direction in life when you are older, that's it, at the moment he plays games all day, if that makes him happy ???? ok by me 

You seem to be of the impression that a happy healthy childhood and excellent education are mutually exclusive - this is not so. 

It's perfectly possible to have both a wonderfully happy childhood and an excellent education at the same time (there are good examples in Thailand: Harrow, Bangkok Patana etc).

Giving the child as many tools as possible so they have choice and can make informed choices is one of the best gifts we can give them for their future success.

How that success is measured is individual, as you mentioned, high-salary jobs may not be that measure, but having a great education doesn’t mean a child will go into a high salary high pressure job, it just means they’ll have a greater choice and greater opportunity. 

But.. If a child does not show the potential for eduction, there are all other options - its all about doing our best to help our children meet their potential - Not doing this and not giving them the best chance is selling them short IMO.  Those who don't value education should not be having children IMO. 

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

No I believe in choice. No one way to happiness. Lots of wealthy people are miserable.

Agreed... Choice... So would you choose that Education is unnecessary for a child because they can get a job as a plumber ????   

Or.. would you give your child the best education you can so they can make their informed choices along the way ???

That doesn't mean every youngster has to go to University etc... But at least do our very best to place them in a position where they can make the best choices. 

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed... Choice... So would you choose that Education is unnecessary for a child because they can get a job as a plumber ????   

Or.. would you give your child the best education you can so they can make their informed choices along the way ???

That doesn't mean every youngster has to go to University etc... But at least do our very best to place them in a position where they can make the best choices. 

Finish school then become a plumber if you want.

8 minutes ago, bignok said:

Finish school then become a plumber if you want.

Your dumbed down oner liner responses are trollish...    a discussion with you is a complete waste of time.

A quote attributed to Mark Twain is entirely relevant here..... “Never argue with a....”  :whistling: