UK government scraps plan to replace all EU laws by the end of 2023

onthedarkside

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

We are still waiting for you to realize that your tactic of sending people on a wild goose chase to deflect is not only boring but repetitive and predictable.

‘Wild goose chase’

Well yes, that does describe the futility of getting Brexiteers to name anyone of 4000 so called ‘EU laws’ they want to get rid of and explain why.

You want to get rid of stuff, but you can’t say way stuff and you can’t say why.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Much as I think Brexit was the most ill thought out, self harming, disastrous thing that any UK government has implemented in the last 30 years, and much as I despise the fact that it was all based on a pack of lies and it has made the UK a worse place and it has stripped the rights of free movement of my children (mostly because of bigoted logic), nobody is going to stand on a platform of rejoining. Not because they don't think that leaving was a huge mistake but because we would be rejoining in an extremely weak position.

We had exceptional power and rights in the EU, we had the power to opt out of things we didn't like (single currency, Shengen), we had special privileges that "normal" member states did not have. We had negotiated excellent rebates. If we rejoin that tomorrow all of that is gone. Gone forever, we would NEVER have those special privileges again, we have lost our bargaining power completely. And no, they don't need us more than we need it. Add to that the ill feeling created by our ridiculous antics, by poisonous buffoons like Farage, Johnson et al.  And all member states would have to agree to have us - - I wouldn't want us back after the way we've behaved!

So campaigning on a promise to rejoin would be pointless as I don't think we even could rejoin for the next 20 years.

Straight from the horses mouth. Even Remainers think Rejoining is a bad idea.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Wise move. When in a hole, stop digging.

Probably delayed 12 months due to Covid and the war in Ukraine. What's important is that the British government decided to postpone it. The British voted to leave the EU. As a result, we do what we want, when we want.

More likely that the Politicians want a two month summer break from going to work at Parliament and repealing those laws and have postponed it until next year .

Remainers are trying to portray this as the U.K changing its mind about Brexit and wanting to keep the laws , whereas its just been delayed for a few months 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

‘Wild goose chase’

Well yes, that does describe the futility of getting Brexiteers to name anyone of 4000 so called ‘EU laws’ they want to get rid of and explain why.

You want to get rid of stuff, but you can’t say way stuff and you can’t say why.

We left the EU so my default position is to remove them all, when we decide to do so. We are British so we do what we want, when we want.

If you think any specific laws are worth keeping, list them and make a detailed case why they should be kept.

If I can be bothered, I will dismiss them one by one. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

More likely that the Politicians want a two month summer break from going to work at Parliament and repealing those laws and have postponed it until next year .

Remainers are trying to portray this as the U.K changing its mind about Brexit and wanting to keep the laws , whereas its just been delayed for a few months 

Good points. Well made.

The timeframe is irrelevant. The fact is that it is our right to remove every single one, if and when we wish to do so.

Since leaving the EU, we do what we want.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/13/2023 at 2:01 PM, RuamRudy said:

You wrote "the British do what we do" as if to imply that brexit had the majority support of the country. At least, that was what I inferred.

If, however, you did not intend to suggest that brexit had the support of the majority of the electorate then I humbly apologise.

The British do what we want as a direct result of the majority of the British electorate who chose to take up their right to vote, voting to leave the EU.

I’m sure you’d apply the same logic to indyref2 in the unlikely event the Scottish people were stupid enough to vote for Independence.

Or would you reject a 60/40 vote to leave the uk because only 70% of those eligible to vote chose to do so?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, candide said:

We've been asking Brexiteers the same question for years, whenever they evoked the EU "red tape", and they have never been able to cite a few of these unbearable laws.

*The E.U law allowing E.U citizens to live and work in the U.K.*

That is the one and only law change that needs to be stated and if the U.K could have taken control of its borders, we probably wouldn't have left the E.U  .

• Confused 2

I'm still struggling with the taking back control and a single tangible benefit produced unless your a competitor or an uber wealthy Tory glad I'm out of it apart from the near junk status of Stirling ????

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

I'm still struggling with the taking back control and a single tangible benefit produced unless your a competitor or an uber wealthy Tory glad I'm out of it apart from the near junk status of Stirling ????

For how long have you lived in the U.K. , post Brexit ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

The Liberal Democrats are outside your fact free sphere.

They tried it. " We will reverse Brexit". At the same time their leader stood there saying " I can't believe I'm standing here as a candidate for UK PM". She lost her seat. 

Please show me where Ed Davey has said he will rejoin or hold a referendum. A link to the Lib Dem manifesto for 2024 GE will suffice. We are talking facts after all.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

Support for reunification is already at just about 50%. Are you projecting that God is going to exempt UK's aged from the usual course of mortality so that it will take another 18 years until there are enough voters to support a referendum? And keep in mind that there are a lot o "don't knows". Folks who most likely  take less of an interest in the topic and are less likely to vote.

You mean like the remainers?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Treaties are treaties, there’s a clue in the name.

Name a law and explain why it must be removed.

Given there are supposedly 4000 so called ‘EU laws’ it shouldn’t be difficult to pick one.

So rude.

Fishing. Right I'm sure your concern on their behalf is sincere.. The UK fishing industry was clobbered by Brexit because the fresh fish industry now has to pass through time-delaying EU customs regulations to export fish. 

As for small businesses:

Brexit has clobbered smaller businesses

https://www.economist.com/britain/2022/04/30/brexit-has-clobbered-smaller-businesses

I remember back in the day when Brexit supporters were claimng that no barriers to trade would be imposed because it would hurt the EU more than the UK and that such countries as Germany couldn't afford to imperil auto sales to the UK. The former claim never even passed an arithmetic test and it turned out the Germany wasn't in it solely for the money.

The UK fishing industry was clobbered when we joined the EEC.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

For how long have you lived in the U.K. , post Brexit ?

19 months trapped by covid +about 8 months caring for my father what's your point? ????

Edited by sammieuk1

Support for reunification is already at just about 50%. Are you projecting that God is going to exempt UK's aged from the usual course of mortality so that it will take another 18 years until there are enough voters to support a referendum?

The agreement last time was there would just be ONE referendum , one referendum and that would be it . 

No second referendums to ask again .

ONE referendum and thats it 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

The agreement last time was there would just be ONE referendum , one referendum and that would be it . 

No second referendums to ask again .

ONE referendum and thats it 

Are you talking about Brexit or Scottish independence? ????????????

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Much as I think Brexit was the most ill thought out, self harming, disastrous thing that any UK government has implemented in the last 30 years, and much as I despise the fact that it was all based on a pack of lies and it has made the UK a worse place and it has stripped the rights of free movement of my children (mostly because of bigoted logic), nobody is going to stand on a platform of rejoining. Not because they don't think that leaving was a huge mistake but because we would be rejoining in an extremely weak position.

We had exceptional power and rights in the EU, we had the power to opt out of things we didn't like (single currency, Shengen), we had special privileges that "normal" member states did not have. We had negotiated excellent rebates. If we rejoin that tomorrow all of that is gone. Gone forever, we would NEVER have those special privileges again, we have lost our bargaining power completely. And no, they don't need us more than we need it. Add to that the ill feeling created by our ridiculous antics, by poisonous buffoons like Farage, Johnson et al.  And all member states would have to agree to have us - - I wouldn't want us back after the way we've behaved!

So campaigning on a promise to rejoin would be pointless as I don't think we even could rejoin for the next 20 years.

Same as I think joining was the most ill thought-out, self-harming, illegal and disastrous act that any UK government has implemented in the last 52 years, after the most blatant lies were distributed by its supposed leader of the day. 

The UK's "power and rights" in the EU were steadily waning after Thatcher, with opt-outs and rebates already largely bartered away by Major, Blair and Cameron. In 2015, the EU was pushing for its own army, finance ministry and foreign ministry, and well on its way to achieving the dream of creating a single European super state, whereby the UK would have eventually become a mere vassal province. Should the UK rejoin, then all these ambitions and dangers would resurface.

I agree that by rejoining the UK would be in an even weaker position than before. But but I also think that If your children are determined enough, then they will still be able to move and work in the EU or elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, nauseus said:

Same as I think joining was the most ill thought-out, self-harming, illegal and disastrous act that any UK government has implemented in the last 52 years, after the most blatant lies were distributed by its supposed leader of the day. 

The UK's "power and rights" in the EU were steadily waning after Thatcher, with opt-outs and rebates already largely bartered away by Major, Blair and Cameron. In 2015, the EU was pushing for its own army, finance ministry and foreign ministry, and well on its way to achieving the dream of creating a single European super state, whereby the UK would have eventually become a mere vassal province. Should the UK rejoin, then all these ambitions and dangers would resurface.

I agree that by rejoining the UK would be in an even weaker position than before. But but I also think that If your children are determined enough, then they will still be able to move and work in the EU or elsewhere.

With the Sunny uplands approaching  , I doubt his Children would want to go anywhere else other than being in the U.K 

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The UK fishing industry was clobbered when we joined the EEC.

You seem to forget it was in decline for decades.

What finished it off wasn’t the EU, it was the change in the law (by a Tory Government) that permitted British fishermen to sell their fishing rights.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You seem to forget it was in decline for decades.

What finished it off wasn’t the EU, it was the change in the law (by a Tory Government) that permitted British fishermen to sell their fishing rights.

I didn't forget. But the UK fleet was cut nearly in half after the CFP took effect.