Cyclone Mocha will bring rain to Thailand until Monday

snoop1130

8E947F07-5BC5-4A83-B4C9-9F69EB8541FB.png

Cyclone Mocha will not directly hit Thailand after it makes landfall in Myanmar this Sunday, but it will bring rain from today through Monday, with isolated heavy downfalls in some areas, according to the Thai Meteorological Department today (Friday).

It has advised small vessels in the Andaman Sea to remain ashore from tomorrow until Tuesday, due to rough seas with waves of 2-3 metres.

47 provinces across Thailand, except in the south, are forecast to see continuous rain today, due to the southerly and south-easterly winds which are blowing through northern Thailand.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/cyclone-mocha-will-bring-rain-to-thailand-until-monday/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-05-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Interesting name for this Cyclone "Mocha".  I wonder what the next name up is in the rotation.......As far as rain goes, we do need to see the rain.  I am more worried about the thunderstorms that this will create inland and the fires that will be started by the lightning.

• Confused 4

I guess the folks who posted the confused emoji's on my earlier post did not read the linked article which said:

"There will be thunder storms in 70% of northern central and north-eastern provinces until 5am tomorrow"

Lightning does occur with Thunderstorms and does cause fires with some of the strikes.

57 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

with isolated heavy downfalls in some areas

Drove to the district town today, 18 km.

Heavy rain, big puddles on the road,.

Driving back and after about 3 km: dry roads.

Still nothing widespread.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Lightning does occur with Thunderstorms and does cause fires with some of the strikes.

And potential power outages. Two days ago fortunately only a 2 second dip.

Guess it's over-voltage protection.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

I guess the folks who posted the confused emoji's on my earlier post did not read the linked article which said:

What linked article?

or did you mean the OP?

BTW which bit of your confusing post do you actually think people were "commenting" on.

I suggest you try re-reading it tomorrow after a "mocha"!

Edited by scottiejohn

20 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

What linked article?

or did you mean the OP?

BTW which bit of your confusing post do you actually think people were "commenting" on.

I suggest you try re-reading it tomorrow after a "mocha"!

Nothing confusing about my post if you had bothered to read it as written and then looked at the actual full story. Which would be this link at the bottom of the OP, if you click it and read it you will obtain more information, unless of course your post was pure sarcasm. 

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/cyclone-mocha-will-bring-rain-to-thailand-until-monday/

Additionally, here is an article for you so you understand how cyclones are named for the Area we are in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_North_Indian_Ocean_cyclone_season

Storm names[edit]

Within this basin, a tropical cyclone is assigned a name when it is judged to have reached cyclonic storm intensity with winds of 65 kilometres per hour (40 mph). The names were selected by a new list from the Regional Specialized Meteorological Center in New Delhi by mid year of 2020.[19] There is no retirement of tropical cyclone names in this basin as the list of names is only scheduled to be used once before a new list of names is drawn up. Should a named tropical cyclone move into the basin from the Western Pacific, then it will retain its original name. The next eight available names from the List of North Indian Ocean storm names are below.[20]

• Mocha (active)
  • Biparjoy (unused)
  • Tej (unused)
  • Hamoon (unused)
  • Midhili (unused)
  • Michaung (unused)
  • Remal (unused)
  • Asna (unused)

So the next Cyclone name could be one of the following listed above, hence my comment.

Edited by ThailandRyan
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Drove to the district town today, 18 km.

Heavy rain, big puddles on the road,.

Driving back and after about 3 km: dry roads.

Still nothing widespread.

Thank you for the update ....  pls be careful driving in the rain  ....    tks

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

"There will be thunder storms in 70% of northern central and north-eastern provinces until 5am tomorrow"

Possibly people were slightly confused by the idea of lightning starting fires during heavy rain storms, when everything is extremely wet.  I'm not denying it could happen, it just seems a little unlikely or unusual.

Is it electrical fires in buildings?

(It also could have been the three ideas kind of smushed into one paragraph.)

Edited by BangkokReady

25 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Possibly people were slightly confused by the idea of lightning starting fires during heavy rain storms, when everything is extremely wet.  I'm not denying it could happen, it just seems a little unlikely or unusual.

Is it electrical fires in buildings?

(It also could have been the three ideas kind of smushed into one paragraph.)

Reading your last line and then re-looking at my post I can see how I mashed them all into one paragraph. The last time we had Thunderstorms roll through our area down here south of HH the rain was minimal, but the lightening did start some fires up in the mountains above the Military base. Even with heavy rain lightening can cause fires if it hits dried dead tree's and then the wind whips up.

• Thumbs Up 1