Travelling BKK-LHR with EVA AIR

On the 10th I flew with EVA to London - it was a disappointing experience after flying with Finnair, Qatar and Thai in recent years.

1. the economy seats were the narrowest that I can recall and the legroom tight

2. the flight schedule was brought forward 40 minutes then we boarded and left 1 hour late
3. the safety review before take off was forgotten

4. it was so cold I wanted gloves

5. public announcements - volume too low and couldn't make out what they were saying at all - they should use pre-recorded messages where possible. Taiwan English proved hard to follow.

6. food service was frantic - really really rushed. Coffee arrived amidst the chaos of eating main course. Why? Is it so they can knock off asap ? Staff were almost running up and down the aisles on occasions.

7. as soon as the first meal was cleared they came around and closed the window shutters - it's a daytime flight FGS

8. the interior of the 777-300 ER looked shabby - dust build up around the a/c vents, carpet worn

9. the service was totally impersonal

I am booked to fly back later with EVA but I'll be choosing another airline next time.

Edited by TorquayFan
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

We used EVA from BKK to LHR return, back end of last year. Don’t recall what aircraft it was, but it was comfortable and the level of service was OK. Only issue was having to wear a face mask during the flight but that I understand was a Taiwanese rule, that the airlines had to comply with. 

16 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

EVA

Unfortunate.

I've personally always enjoyed flying with them albeit it was in premium economy.  

I think flying economy is a cattle call and basically be happy getting to point B from point A with no frills on any airlines is the point. 

Luckily it was a short flight. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Des cheers - yes I was happy enough with Eva last time - 5 years ago.

Mr J - re. Thai - a plus is they go direct and are 9 across format I think.

Toby - I don't agree - I think it amazing that they can fly you 6,000 x 2 miles with baggage for approx £800, usually in relative comfort.

One point in favour of EVA - baggage in the hold - 2 x 23 kg - remarkable. Perhaps I'll go in the hold next time !

• Thumbs Up 1

Spicy no - the LHR route is TPE-BKK-LHR and LHR-BKK-TPE

Marin - they might require masking inwards to TPE - I don't know. Going to LHR they certainly asked us to mask up on the aircraft but only a few did !!

13 minutes ago, spicysalad said:

I believe all EVA flights transit in Taiwan. OP probably flew BKK-TPE-LHR.

Transpac yes, I have stopped many a time in Taipei, But you do not fly backwards mate.  TPE/BKK/LHR.

45 minutes ago, Des1 said:

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I have flown from Vancouver to Bangkok using various airlines over the years and EVA has been the best. Especially if things go wrong, which has happened on a couple of occasions, flight delays and missing connections etc. Their customer service is top notch. The way they helped people get home during covid, extra staffing at their Bangkok office, was really great. I always fly with them now. I am from Canada and sorry to say we have probably the worst airline in the world .. Air Canada.

Back in the day pre covid I only used Eva BKK>Pearson.Business on their 777 was great.Not cheap but those flights are killer for me.It was just shy of 24 hours door to door Pattaya>St.Catharines.

Previously I used KAL YVR>BKK when I lived in Nanaimo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TorquayFan said:

Andy - yes I'll go Qatar or Thai next time

The 4 flights I've taken with Qatar in the last 18 months have all had ths same 3-4-3 configuration you're complaining about in this thread. And some of the worst seats I've ever had the misfortune of sitting in.

I guess all airlines have gone down that route to try and recoup some of the losses made over the last few years. ????

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

Back in the day pre covid I only used Eva BKK>Pearson.Business on their 777 was great.Not cheap but those flights are killer for me.It was just shy of 24 hours door to door Pattaya>St.Catharines.

Previously I used KAL YVR>BKK when I lived in Nanaimo. 

So, you are saying it was a good airline? What about KAL?

6 minutes ago, Des1 said:

So, you are saying it was a good airline? What about KAL?

I flew Bus class twice with Eva Bkk>TO 777, yes very good.Keep in mind that was 4-5 years ago.

I haven't used KAL for 10 years so can't say.

They were okay at the time.

24 minutes ago, JayClay said:

The 4 flights I've taken with Qatar in the last 18 months have all had ths same 3-4-3 configuration you're complaining about in this thread. And some of the worst seats I've ever had the misfortune of sitting in.

I guess all airlines have gone down that route to try and recoup some of the losses made over the last few years. ????

Yes, probably all the same. The difference appears when there is a problem, missed flight connections etc. EVA Air , in my experience, has great customer service.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, TorquayFan said:

Des cheers - yes I was happy enough with Eva last time - 5 years ago.

Mr J - re. Thai - a plus is they go direct and are 9 across format I think.

Toby - I don't agree - I think it amazing that they can fly you 6,000 x 2 miles with baggage for approx £800, usually in relative comfort.

One point in favour of EVA - baggage in the hold - 2 x 23 kg - remarkable. Perhaps I'll go in the hold next time !

Maybe £800 single on Thai :laugh:

Have to be extremely lucky with dates to get a return for that amount now.

RAZZ

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

Maybe £800 single on Thai :laugh:

Have to be extremely lucky with dates to get a return for that amount now.

RAZZ

Yes, probably referring to perhaps pre-covid rates.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1