Travelling BKK-LHR with EVA AIR

I Love EVA....has always been good for me..no issues...i just flew back to LOS from LAX last week and would have used EVA but price went up a bit from covid losses...so i went with ne STARLUX which was ok but still working out kinks.....

When covid hit EVA called me to cancel a flight and rebooked me and even put me up at nice hotel in LAX since new flight was long layover--free shuttle--Cambria hotel--nice...a rep helped me when i arrived in LAX as i had no cell service yet.....i always fly the red eye out of LAX so they feed you...glass of wine and nod out for long haul---so most all sleep and wake up at 5am in TPE and keep shades drawn which i prefer so i dont feel so jet lagged....happy to use them again

Also free showers at TPE--really nice airport for a 4 hr layover after the 13 hr flight before bouncing over to BKK then up to CNX....i also nicely ask for exit seat too if empty at gate...

• Like 1

I would not use EVA, on this route only because the flight to Taipei is heading the wrong direction. You are adding time for nothing. 

I recently flew Turkish Air to Europe, it was pretty nice and great food. A-330 in a 2-4-2 configuration.

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

Raz/Des - Skyscanner just now - KLM GBP 640, Eva GBP 750 and Thai GBP 825.

My flight was cheaper a few days before I left than in Feb when I booked it.

What dates?

June, July, August over a grand.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

I would not use EVA, on this route only because the flight to Taipei is heading the wrong direction. You are adding time for nothing. 

What direction? Surely take off from LHR and land in BKK and same return. Don't have to worry about Taipei if you're only going as far as BKK and back.

Unless...EVA pilots are flying via the Falklands or something.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

Hi Buick - yes there were 10 seats across, 4 in the middle - usually in my experience it's 9 and 3. Unsurprisingly, the aisles seemed very narrow too.

In the lounge we were asked to mask up on entering the aircraft - but almost everyone stayed maskless.

Andy - yes I'll go Qatar or Thai next time.

Sid - NOT 'snowflake' at all as you say. I usually enjoy the flight but this was gruesome. Inaudible announcements in particular, should not be trivialised. And just to add, choice of entertainment was poor and sound quality from earphones not good.

Thanks Guys

Went Qatar last year biz class, very disappointing. Paid for seat reservations 63 quid a leg and they just canceled one with no warning and got stuck in the middle area. Said they would give a refund but they changed their minds and never did pay out. Food was absolutely disgusting, better in their economy, plus the seat did not recline. Doha is awful, once in the departure lounge there are no toilets so getting out and in again seems to be a real hassle for them. On the loading bridge for 35 minutes there waiting for them to get the plane cleaned, kids crying and the disabled stressed out, horribel.

Mrs.T and I went to the UK on EVA in 2008, on our return at Heathrow, the EVA desk bloke said, something like "Do you have a return flight", I said, "No, this is my Thai wife, look at her name in her passport, look in my passport, you will see a long stay visa because I live there".............:unsure:

It was a long time ago, but I recall I wasn't that impressed, I prefer the BA night flight, book a seat right at the very back, where there are just 2 seats together, a smile keeps me in supply of vino, can sleep for hours, and a breakfast I can eat, all is good.....????

Quatar was OK, but the stop-over, with a different plane, was not nice...????

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Not really, he went a bit pink...........????

I got on a Air India flight recently and the stewardesses asked me whether I would like to sit in the emergency seats and open the emergency doors if we crashed .

I agreed to sit in the emergency seats , but the airplane didnt crash and I didnt have to open the emergency doors 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I got on a Air India flight recently and the stewardesses asked me whether I would like to sit in the emergency seats and open the emergency doors if we crashed .

I agreed to sit in the emergency seats , but the airplane didnt crash and I didnt have to open the emergency doors 

Gawd, waste of time sitting there then, weren't it......:stoner:

• Haha 2

On 5/12/2023 at 6:39 PM, Homburg said:

I last flew with EVA on that route some years ago when they used 747's and the seats were ok then and I remember the food being fairly tasteless, but otherwise ok. But when the flight landed at LHR all the passengers applauded - as if it was really impressive and maybe even a little unexpected that the pilot had actually arrived at the correct airport! I never booked with them again.

Many Thais still applaud upon landing.

48 minutes ago, SmokeandIce said:

Many Thais still applaud upon landing.

This used to be the case 50 years ago when people in England started travelling to Spain.  They would applaud on landing cos they believed there was a good chance they wouldn't  make it.

No doubt Thai travellers are at roughly the same stage of flying experience.

On 5/14/2023 at 1:06 PM, blazes said:

This used to be the case 50 years ago when people in England started travelling to Spain.  They would applaud on landing cos they believed there was a good chance they wouldn't  make it.

No doubt Thai travellers are at roughly the same stage of flying experience.

Why would anyone get on a flight if they thought there was  a good chance they wouldn't make it? 

On 5/13/2023 at 7:51 AM, JayClay said:

The 4 flights I've taken with Qatar in the last 18 months have all had ths same 3-4-3 configuration you're complaining about in this thread. And some of the worst seats I've ever had the misfortune of sitting in.

I guess all airlines have gone down that route to try and recoup some of the losses made over the last few years. ????

Same with KLM  cheapest i found over the whole year 2023 for a direct flight with only handlugage 12 kilo for 1100+ Euro ...., while normaly i fly priced before between 600 & 700 Euro from Schiphol to BKK or reverse and WITH luggage 23 kilo

Like said before by poster ,  "they try to make up their losses "..... well i guess  they go make again another losses ....

Lucky i only need to fly Thailand again ending 2024 beginning 2025...????

Edited by david555

51 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

... no good? 

Just out of interest 'cause I never tried them looking at their prices in comparison ...

Missus flew with them today and she said it was the worse flight ever.

Seats don't recline (even a little), no power slots. Food was awful and seat was dirty.

• Thumbs Up 1

A few weeks ago I flew AMS-BKK with EVA in Economy. I was lucky to have one of the older B777-300ER's with 3-3-3 seating (for some time they used the 787-10 on this route but it did not have premium economy). Service was fine, I noticed they now have a sheet with pics of the meal choices as you find for instance on Japanese airlines. However, there are only 3 flights/weeks and these are usually very full as many tour operators use EVA rather than KLM.

EVA has recently introduced new flights to two European destinations (Milan and Munich) but these go non-stop from Taipei.

50 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Everyone always seems to talk smack about Thai, but I always thought they were okay. Bummer they dropped the BKK-LAX

That's because they are ok. They're not the best but they're not bad. They are my preferred regional airline but not my preferred long haul airline (Emirates et al are far better for that). 

You have to remember that most of the people on here talking smack have not left their village for years and certainly don't fly regularly - it is just an automatic anti-Thai reaction.

And the stuff about generals, politicians, VIPs traveling in first for free is a TVF myth and hasn't happened for probably 20 years or more. Yet the myth persists. And whenever I have challenged anyone to provide a link to support it they can't. Surely there's a news report about it somewhere in the world?

7 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

That's because they are ok. They're not the best but they're not bad. They are my preferred regional airline but not my preferred long haul airline (Emirates et al are far better for that). 

You have to remember that most of the people on here talking smack have not left their village for years and certainly don't fly regularly - it is just an automatic anti-Thai reaction.

And the stuff about generals, politicians, VIPs traveling in first for free is a TVF myth and hasn't happened for probably 20 years or more. Yet the myth persists. And whenever I have challenged anyone to provide a link to support it they can't. Surely there's a news report about it somewhere in the world?

I love Emirates when it was the company nickel and I was doing Dubai once a month. Tough to beat the Emirates "lounge" in Dubai. 

18 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Like many airlines ex-Thai staff still get cheap tickets. That's one of the reasons the front is full.

100% fact as I know ex-crew.

Edited by RAZZELL
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

Like many airlines ex-Thai staff still get cheap tickets. That's one of the reasons the front is full.

100% fact as I know ex-crew.

Staff / family of staff is entirely different. These are concessional tickets and, like you say, all airlines have them and it is one of the perks for working for an airline. Usually they are subject to many restrictions such as availability and full fare paying passengers taking priority. I don't think Thai is any different. Ex-staff I don't know, I would imagine if any it would only be ones with certain seniority or years of service. But anyway, this is standard airline stuff and not what I was talking about.

What I was specifically talking about was free first class travel  for politicians, VIPs, army that people on here always bang on about. No one can provide evidence at all.  I believe it used to happen 25 years ago but it was stopped at least 20 years ago. It is a TVF Myth (unless someone can show me otherwise - I'd be happy to be corrected).