Lake Nona Middle School teacher resigns after ‘offensive’ student presentation

onthedarkside

image.png.74747b4989fcc4d5bbef7f81a0c2470f.png

ORLANDO, Fla. — An English Language Arts teacher at Lake Nona Middle School left their job after the school opened multiple investigations after complaints about presentations made by students in class on Wednesday.

The parent who sent the video said their student had the same assignment, which was to give a presentation about a topic of their choice.

Jose Diaz, who is of Mexican heritage, said his son was also in the class and that several students made inappropriate presentations on topics like “Why I don’t like Black people” and “Why I don’t like Mexican people.” Diaz said he was the third parent to complain to administrators on Thursday.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/lake-nona-middle-school-teacher-resigns-after-offensive-student-presentation/2GARQGQABREIVG56KVPKMXYTWQ/

image.png.99e4f6ca759f6dfeefaae39959ae5f6b.png

Video Report: https://www.haystack.tv/v/lake-nona-middle-school-teacher-resigns-offensive-student-presentation

2 hours ago, puchooay said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

Asking where they got their ideas from then using critical thinking and debating to discuss.

That’s the disantios influence the ignorant white trash feel it’s ok now any correction by the teacher or corrective action by the teacher could get them fired welcome to Florida but don’t worry every meth head can conceal carry no background checks no questions asked no wonder the teacher quit 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Racism is not a ‘controversial issue’ it’s an inherent evil, there’s absolutely nothing controversial about that.

Is it really that easy?

People are different. Mexicans are different than Americans than Germans than Thais, etc. It might be the skin color, the culture, the average height, school system, whatever.

People who are confronted with other people look at what happens and make conclusions.

And sometimes they like what they see and sometimes not.

And if they see 100 people from group A doing something then it's easy to imagine that they think all of them are like that.

Living together with lots of different people is not easy. And I think we shouldn't pretend it is easy.

In an ideal world, the students would have facts presented to them first by the teachers. Covering the difficult issues of racism, discrimination, gender issues.

Then is the time for presentations from students, once they have those facts.

BUT this is Florida, where some books on the holocaust are banned, hundreds of others banned including an Anne Frank book. Gender issues banned, lessons on some race-related concepts banned.

No wonder the students are ignorant to the facts. The teacher who allowed this thankfully resigned.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

In an ideal world, the students would have facts presented to them first by the teachers. Covering the difficult issues of racism, discrimination, gender issues.

BUT this is Florida, where some books on the holocaust are banned, hundreds of others banned including an Anne Frank book. Gender issues banned, lessons on some race-related concepts banned.

No wonder the students are ignorant to the facts. The teacher who allowed this thankfully resigned.

Its worth noting that the Ann Frank diaries were not banned or removed in Florida and a different book ABOUT Ann Frank got removed from school libraries because of the sexually explicit content and not enough focus on the Holocaust (in that book) 

https://www.foxnews.com/media/anne-frank-novel-banned-florida-school-sexually-explicit-content-minimization-holocaust

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Its worth noting that the Ann Frank diaries were not banned or removed in Florida and a different book ABOUT Ann Frank got removed from school libraries because of the sexually explicit content and not enough focus on the Holocaust (in that book) 

https://www.foxnews.com/media/anne-frank-novel-banned-florida-school-sexually-explicit-content-minimization-holocaust

Noted but I never said the actual Ann Frank Diaries were banned. A picture version of her diaries was banned however. Along with "One of this year’s rejected Holocaust textbooks was called “Modern Genocides,” and the other was an online learning course titled “History of the Holocaust.” Both were intended for high school students."

Regardless this was a very small detail of my post with regards to the topic at hand and my point being that the students needed learning and facts first from the teacher before giving presentations on such subjects. I'm not going further into book bans, plenty of topics on that already.

5 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

The students were asked to make a presentation about any subject.

That is why the teacher did not present any facts before hand. Impossible to present facts about everything.

Tempest, meet teapot. Teapot, this is tempest. Nice to meet you.

This is being treated with oh so much seriousness and gravity by the shocked, shocked I tell you adults who are surrounding the situation. These are 12-13 year old kids, given the freedom to talk about what they wanted.  So they did. No reason for them to be punished at all. Nobody used slurs, profanity, or offensive images. Just stated their opinions, probably based on what they see/hear on the news every day. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

The students were asked to make a presentation about any subject.

That is why the teacher did not present any facts before hand. Impossible to present facts about everything.

A responsible teacher will have checked what the topic was before it was presented and ensured it was appropriate for the setting rather than have half the class laughing at it and the other half shocked, especially since some students there are of Mexican heritage and other's there who are black.

However yes it would have been difficult to present some facts and education first in Florida with the censorship hammer in place for some subjects and discussions. Including the Bill to Limit School Discussion of Race or slavery. Luckily there was also not a topic on gays or even girls periods as that's also banned.

The legal Mexican heritage student who took the video and whose father complained had every reason to.

The teacher obviously knows what he did is wrong otherwise why resign?

Like I said, only in a DeSantis Florida..........

A post where the quoted post was clipped from the entire post has been removed.

28. You will not make changes to messages quoted from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. Do not shorten any post in a way that alters the context of the original post. Do not change the formatting of the post you are quoting.

I have spent years in the classroom and have often allowed students to do presentations in class.  The subjects had to be approved, but about the only thing that was off the table was the Monarchy.  

Students could take a position in making a presentation, but they had to have authoritative sources.  The rest of the class also had the opportunity to ask questions. 

It's a classroom setting and the emphasis needs to be on learning.  That means doing some research, having a thesis and being able to argue a position.  

This appears to be little more than hate speech.   I'd be interested to know how the teacher graded the presentations.