A Chiang Mai Sucess Story

ThaiPauly

Just read this in July's Citylife. P18 Column 2

"And of course Gecko Books are now vying with 7/11for properties all over the City." written by someone with a lot of knowledge of Chiang Mai

will the next Bill Heine please take a bow :D

I think you mean Bill Heineke? Bill Heine doesn't have two cents to rub together. :D

when "Heineken" i prefer the dark one, ice cold, no glass, just out of the bottle :o

UG, maybe an idea for the online selling:

I send you an email with titles, authors and whatever i can find out...

You respond to the email if you have something and the sale is on!

You do not have to put up with keeping a website list up to date and just might hire someone to source for you the requested books from emails in your shops. Also keep lists ready for incoming books in your shops, so wanted books can be put aside.....

A bit off topic, I seem to remember Gecko doesnt sell any Thai language books.

Can anyone recomend me somewhere that has a good stock of second hand Thai books.

I'm trying to get the TGF to read something other than comics.

Ta

A bit off topic, I seem to remember Gecko doesnt sell any Thai language books.

Can anyone recomend me somewhere that has a good stock of second hand Thai books.

I'm trying to get the TGF to read something other than comics.

Ta

My wife doesn't know, but at DK they might not be second hand but they are cheaper. Ie the 6th harry potter book was almost 200baht cheaper than elsewhere.

Well done.

For a negative comment: I went in when the first one opened (how many yrs ago??); selected a coupla thousand baht worth of books, and asked for a discount. The proprietor (UG??) said he don't negotiate. I left the books there and aint been back. Has the policy changed?

Congratulations Ulysses! Me, too, had no idea you were connected. BTW, the peak last week in your business was probably caused by my daughter. She LOVES R.L. Stines and Gecko is the only place for her to get them!!!! Keep it up.

I was interested in some titles on Buddhism, they have some new books as well.

Unfortunately, the Indian imports which sell in India for 160 Rupees, had a 500bt price tag, and secondhand books aren't exactly bargains either, unless you read unknown authors and don't mind handling books which have been recycled 20 times.

Sorry, just telling the truth. I was disappointed when I picked up some books - yes, I did still buy a couple.

Unfortunately, the Indian imports which sell in India for 160 Rupees, had a 500bt price tag, and secondhand books aren't exactly bargains either, unless you read unknown authors and don't mind handling books which have been recycled 20 times.

Sorry, just telling the truth. I was disappointed when I picked up some books - yes, I did still buy a couple.

Get out of town - you're dissing one the most respected members, sponsors and gastronomes around here - jeez, do some research.

JxP

JxP, respected or disrespected, its a free forum isnt it ?

Actually no - just try posting something 'sensitive' and see how quick it gets wiped, often without explanation. Or suffer the consequences of a good gang bang. The forum is run by people who make money from it; they make the rules.

In defence of UG, I will say this:

You are always free to buy your books anywhere; there are other shops.

His prices as marked are a fixed price- he does not discount.

Having said that, I have no problem buying books there. Why? Because he has great selection, and his prices are fair.

If you can find the same book next door or elsewhere in town, for cheaper, go for it! (and drive all over town....)

BTW, I have no personal friendship with UG (apart from kidding around with him on this forum), no vested interests (partnership, etc), hel_l, we don't even agree at all on American politics (who does, these days?!?). But I feel he is an honest businessman, trying to make a living, and he works very hard. Like 7 days a week. No Lie.

McG

Thanks Black A, but what/where is DK ?

Basically you drive past Tapae gate (mike's burger side) for about 1-2km and look for a big blue and white sign with a book on it and a large DK in the middle, it is on your left hand side. Turn in and head straight to the back. Hope this helps a little bit.

Get out of town - you're dissing one the most respected members, sponsors and gastronomes around here - jeez, do some research.

JxP

That's a bit harsh, not dissing anyone, I am just sharing my experience and first-hand impression.

Does the guy being "one the most respected members, sponsors and gastronomes" change the facts that I observed? :o

Maybe I'd be happier eating in one of their restaurants? :D

Edited by bruceboy

Thanks Black A, but what/where is DK ?

QUOTE(JuniorExPat @ 2007-07-15 20:41:52) *

QUOTE(bruceboy @ 2007-07-15 20:32:19) *

JxP

That's a bit harsh, not dissing anyone, I am just sharing my experience and first-hand impression.

Does the guy being "one the most respected members, sponsors and gastronomes" change the facts that I observed? rolleyes.gif

Maybe I'd be happier eating in one of their restaurants? laugh.gif

Absolutely - and, once again, I promise to myself never, ever post under the affluence of incohol again - posting for the sake of posting is never wise even when sober!

JxP :o

Well done.

For a negative comment: I went in when the first one opened (how many yrs ago??); selected a coupla thousand baht worth of books, and asked for a discount. The proprietor (UG??) said he don't negotiate. I left the books there and aint been back. Has the policy changed?

^I can never understand people who want service, and selection yet begrudge someone making an honest living.

I find Gecko books offers a very good selection at reasonable prices.

News flash if they didn't make a profit they would not be in business.

:o