What is Next for Thailand’s Political Future after the Election

snoop1130

346620352_1409680079865727_4541069679447154214_n-630x420.jpg

PHOTO: Pita Limjaroenrat - พิธา ลิ้มเจริญรัตน์

Although Thailand’s general election resulted in a heroic victory for the Move Forward Party, their bid to form a coalition government may not be plain sailing after certain members of the upper house (Senate) made it clear that they will not vote for the party’s prime ministerial candidate as the country’s 30th premier.

Under the current constitution, the 250 senators appointed by the now-defunct National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) are allowed to join MPs in electing a prime minister in Parliament.

This will be the second and likely last time they will participate in the selection of the prime minister with the lower house. In the 2019 election, senators joined MPs in voting for General Prayut Chan-o-cha to become prime minister.

Full Story: https://thepattayanews.com/2023/05/16/what-is-next-for-thailands-political-future-after-the-election/

PattayaNews.jpg
-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2023-05-16

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

I don't know if it is possible, but I foresee the senate members abstaining in the vote for PM meaning nobody can become PM. Therefore, allowing Prayuth to keep holding the position of temporary PM indefinitely for the next 2 years.

8 hours ago, Sunderland said:

I don't know if it is possible, but I foresee the senate members abstaining in the vote for PM meaning nobody can become PM. Therefore, allowing Prayuth to keep holding the position of temporary PM indefinitely for the next 2 years.

I would think if they were to abstain then only 251 votes would be required to elect a new Prime Minister. 

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Under the current constitution, the 250 senators appointed by the now-defunct National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) are allowed to join MPs in electing a prime minister in Parliament.

Totally wrong.