Coronavirus / Face Masks Intl Traveling Report

On 5/20/2023 at 6:58 AM, Plern said:

Not a mask in sight thank God.

I've been in Southern California now for the past 10 days, and I've seen quite a few people wearing masks wherever I go, myself included.

Not a majority or even more than 10%, but I've never been alone here in wearing a mask wherever I've gone...

Mostly falling into two categories: 1. older folks including myself, and serving staff at various kinds of workplaces.

People are still dying and getting very sick from COVID here every day, even if in lower numbers than last year.

These days, it's up to people, especially those in the various higher risk groups, to protect themselves as best as they can, since the government has basically abdicated on the issue.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Flew in to the US last week on ANA. Attendants only wore when serving. Maybe 5% onboard wore masks. Here in S. Oregon again maybe 5%, mostly older on the streets, but it seems  a bit more younger people wearing in markets.

I read that besides the filtering of the air on planes, the air is exchanged with outside air quite a lot.

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've been in Southern California now for the past 10 days, and I've seen quite a few people wearing masks wherever I go, myself included.

Not a majority or even more than 10%, but I've never been alone here in wearing a mask wherever I've gone...

Mostly falling into two categories: 1. older folks including myself, and serving staff at various kinds of workplaces.

People are still dying and getting very sick from COVID here every day, even if in lower numbers than last year.

These days, it's up to people, especially those in the various higher risk groups, to protect themselves as best as they can, since the government has basically abdicated on the issue.

You've always been a mask advocate despite the evidence. I'm not surprised. So, less than 7/100 people still wearing masks. Probably ill, infirm and or hypochondriacs.

We live in different worlds

• Thumbs Up 2

41 minutes ago, Plern said:

You've always been a mask advocate despite the evidence. I'm not surprised. So, less than 7/100 people still wearing masks. Probably ill, infirm and or hypochondriacs.

We live in different worlds

Clearly different worlds. One where evidence counts and one where evidence is disregarded.

You've always been a mask advocate despite the evidence.

That sentence would be correct this way "You've always been a mask advocate because of the evidence.".

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's about all that should, especially older folks, who don't seem to survive respiratory infections. 

Staff ... feel sorry for them if made to wear, but does make a wee bit of sense, since many employers frown about employees taking sick time off of work.  Something I never understood  ...  you're not too sick that you can't work, so come to work and get everyone else sick, so even more people call out sick ????

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

<snip>

Which, IMO, is how it should always have been - governments should give ADVICE, not enforce restrictions on adults, as, right from the outset, it was the higher risk groups who needed protection - the majority of those who got really sick from Covid were in the various higher risk groups.

15 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Credit to you for leaving the “safety” of Thailand, where masks are still worn commonly as a safety blanket.

But seriously, you're exhibiting some confirmation bias here around the actual level of mask wearing in California.

1 in 100 if you're lucky, that's probably being generous now. "Not a majority or even more than 10%" - ah, lucky if it was 1% in reality. 

Same as pretty much everywhere in the world now, Thailand excepted. 

I am not saying you didn’t see others still wearing-  but is is rare,  and getting rarer by the day.

On 5/22/2023 at 8:42 AM, stevenl said:

Clearly different worlds. One where evidence counts and one where evidence is disregarded.

That sentence would be correct this way "You've always been a mask advocate because of the evidence.".

Ive always abhorred masks. Shunned them as much as possible. Never stopped traveling even during lockdown multiple long haul bus trips. Never to my knowledge have I or my wife had covid. We also work in buildings with thousands of people buzzing about on a daily basis. No one that I know nor anyone they know died from covid. Every elderly person I know has recovered fully.

Boo

12 hours ago, Plern said:

Ive always abhorred masks. Shunned them as much as possible. Never stopped traveling even during lockdown multiple long haul bus trips. Never to my knowledge have I or my wife had covid. We also work in buildings with thousands of people buzzing about on a daily basis. No one that I know nor anyone they know died from covid. Every elderly person I know has recovered fully.

Boo

So that is proof masks don't work. Thanks for showing the level of reasoning you apply.

On 5/22/2023 at 5:59 PM, VBF said:

Which, IMO, is how it should always have been - governments should give ADVICE, not enforce restrictions on adults, as, right from the outset, it was the higher risk groups who needed protection - the majority of those who got really sick from Covid were in the various higher risk groups.

I somewhat agree about mandates, it all could have been done better.

OTH, the vast majority of cases that spread Covid were not high risk groups, rather, younger mobile people and everyone else. Lots of graphs show this. Had they been able to cut spreading in half, high risk deaths would have dropped accordingly.

• Like 2