Abhisit may return as leader of the Democrat Party

webfact

image.jpeg

Former Democrat party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva should return to the helm after Jurin Laksanawisit resigned to take responsibility for the party’s losses in the general election, according to deputy leader Sathit Pitutecha today (Tuesday).

The Democrat party won 26 parliamentary seats in the general election.

He claimed that Abhisit is the appropriate person replace Jurin, adding that party executives will have to sit down and discuss the matter.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/abhisit-may-return-as-leader-of-the-democrat-party/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2023-05-17

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

He claimed that Abhisit is the appropriate person replace Jurin, adding that party executives will have to sit down and discuss the matter.

What is it with Thai politics and not letting go of the past?

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

This coward?

either ordered the shooting of unarmed civilians on the streets or sat by idly and allowed it, or after being made PM by the military he just showed he actually had no powers and was a proxy for the army.

Yes indeed, along with the Deputy PM Suthep. Both were exonerated.  Interesting to note - is Abhisit also a Britsh citizen??

From Wikipedia:

Abhisit Vejjajiva is a Thai politician who was the prime minister of Thailand from 2008 to 2011. He was the leader of the Democrat Party from 2005 until he resigned following the party's weak performance in the 2019 election. Wikipedia
Born: August 3, 1964 (age 58 years), Wallsend, United Kingdom
Party: Democrat Party

1 hour ago, kingkenny said:

This coward?

either ordered the shooting of unarmed civilians on the streets or sat by idly and allowed it, or after being made PM by the military he just showed he actually had no powers and was a proxy for the army.

I really dislike Abhisit.....but the red shirts weren't unarmed and at the first attempt to clean out several soldiers died. Additional they burned several houses in that area.
His fault was that he let it get out of control for month and he lied on TV...beside his overall bad performance and being a WEF member.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, wordchild said:

I have no doubt he will support MFP.

He is a man of principles.

also an enormously talented guy.

Thailand (and MFP) could really benefit from his return to frontline politics 

That is satire, right?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

What is it with Thai politics and not letting go of the past?

Indeed. Abhisit and those like him are part of the problem not the solution. Voters have realized this hence their very poor showing.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, h90 said:

I really dislike Abhisit.....but the red shirts weren't unarmed and at the first attempt to clean out several soldiers died. Additional they burned several houses in that area.
His fault was that he let it get out of control for month and he lied on TV...beside his overall bad performance and being a WEF member.

I really don't have time to go through every victim with you, but to simplify I am pretty damn certain the nurse helping in temple was not armed, I am also certain that a soldier killed by another soldier as he was riding to help him was not firing at the army.

This coward had the ability to come clean in the hearings but kept quiet.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes indeed, along with the Deputy PM Suthep. Both were exonerated.  Interesting to note - is Abhisit also a Britsh citizen??

From Wikipedia:

Abhisit Vejjajiva is a Thai politician who was the prime minister of Thailand from 2008 to 2011. He was the leader of the Democrat Party from 2005 until he resigned following the party's weak performance in the 2019 election. Wikipedia
Born: August 3, 1964 (age 58 years), Wallsend, United Kingdom
Party: Democrat Party

two passports I believe. as a slight aside he was at Eton with Boris Johnson.

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/17/2023 at 3:53 AM, h90 said:

His fault was to do what he was "told" to do. Instead of dissolving the House quickly and organising elections, as Yingluck did, he played the waiting game in order to make sure Prayut would be nominated in September as new army chief. Be a use that was the plan. Even if that meant letting the army kill around 100 protesters and other people (I.e. nurse).

On 5/18/2023 at 6:31 PM, SpaceKadet said:

If was in his position I would do exactly the same. What do you do to a bunch of terrorists that threaten to torch BKK.

Red democracy shows how to govern. We didn't win so we will burn you....

You have to admit that he had more balls than any politico, and resigned his post when the Democrat party decided to support the junta, after saying they would not.

In fact, he's probably the only one educated in political sciences in Thailand, unlike the rest of bafoons that can only count brown envelopes. 

yet he never had the balls to say it was all his decision, strange that eh? Oh wait....... he never had the balls because he never had the balls, he was a puppet with no power, that when all this happened he shrunk into his shell and never had the balls to say what actually happened.

Abhisit was my all-time favorite Thai PM. He had the stones to say that Thailand needed to become a welfare state. An obvious move forward for anyone who knows the facts about Thailand. The poor are crushed and destroyed while the rich become even MORE obscenely wealthy.

On 5/18/2023 at 1:31 PM, SpaceKadet said:

If was in his position I would do exactly the same. What do you do to a bunch of terrorists that threaten to torch BKK.

Red democracy shows how to govern. We didn't win so we will burn you....

You have to admit that he had more balls than any politico, and resigned his post when the Democrat party decided to support the junta, after saying they would not.

In fact, he's probably the only one educated in political sciences in Thailand, unlike the rest of bafoons that can only count brown envelopes. 

Evoking "we didn't win"! Lol!

Me stupid I thought it was the yellow-green establishment which never won any free and fair elections since 1996.

PT did win elections, and the red shirts protested in order to have democratic elections. Abhisit never won elections. Abhisit has been the puppet of the military. The main reason he opposed the Junta was that, instead of putting him as PM like in 2008, they decided to put themselves as PM.

On 5/17/2023 at 7:46 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I hope he retires and has a happy life.

I think he was one of the best politicians Thailand ever had. And certainly the best PM from the last decades.

But until now the majority of Thais clearly didn't want a smart and honest leader.

Let's see what will happen now.

You’re endorsement of this sad, inept, complicit and cowardly man is a savage indictment against him.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, candide said:

Evoking "we didn't win"! Lol!

Me stupid I thought it was the yellow-green establishment which never won any free and fair elections since 1996.

PT did win elections, and the red shirts protested in order to have democratic elections. Abhisit never won elections. Abhisit has been the puppet of the military. The main reason he opposed the Junta was that, instead of putting him as PM like in 2008, they decided to put themselves as PM.

Yes, I remember the fancy pictures from that election. Commie red north and blue central and south.

PT only won because the north is the most populous, and because of the populist policies they were shouting out. I suppose 500 baht per vote helped some too. It's easy to appease a poor man, stick a note in his hand and he will suck on anything. Including torching Bangkok for the sake of their version of Democracy!!!!

Thaksin also famously said that only those that voted for his party would benefit from his policies. What a leader for a county! And let's not forget that he only got something like 35% of the eligible votes. Hardly a majority.