Thailand’s Election Results May Reverse Cannabis Policy

webfact

14 hours ago, h90 said:

and dirty harmful variants come on the market. I am a non-smoker but I would never tell other people what to do

lol! is it a crime to express an opinion? in any case, unless you are a member of the thai parliament - which decided to legalise cannabis - why are you attacking my comments? or because i don't smoke cannabis, i've got no  right to have an opinion about it?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They could have exercised some control over the way it was implemented

in the first place.

Just stupid idiots. and more stupidness to come by the sounds of it.

It's all gone to Pot. :stoner:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pique Dard said:

because i don't smoke cannabis, i've got no  right to have an opinion about it?

Of course you can.

But have a bong first. your feel much more mellow. :giggle:

Edited by quake
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pique Dard said:

lol! is it a crime to express an opinion? in any case, unless you are a member of the thai parliament - which decided to legalise cannabis - why are you attacking my comments? or because i don't smoke cannabis, i've got no  right to have an opinion about it?

I am not attacking your comment, I am just disagreeing. You have every right to an opinion.
But banning drugs brings more dirty version to the market...mixed with other harmful substances...making it more unhealthy
It is in principle wrong to tell other people what they are allowed to or not allowed to as long as it does not harm others. Why would the government has a say what I do with my body?
I don't smoke neither marijuana or anything else (I am actually against all narcotics) but I would never want to tell my neighbor what he is allowed to smoke. I don't know why politician think they are entitled to do that.
But it is not an attack against you it is a friendly exchange of arguments to see which opinion is better.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, quake said:

Of course you can.

But have a bong first. your feel much more mellow. :giggle:

I don't smoke cannabis either, so why should we have to use something that we don't like just because other people do.

My apologies if your post was an attempt at satire, but it didn't work for me.

Edited by billd766
corrected some bad spelling
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Banning it again would cause some pain to those who spent big overbuilding weed shops, but financial pain is rarely part of political calculus. If the Thai majority is anti-weed, they won't shed any tears for those who lose.

I have heard from some Thai people, even young ones, that many shops look comical and 'give Thailand a bad name'. That is their opinion. Some do create a carnival atmosphere and seem to be sets from a Cheech and Chong movie.

I'm not a user, so it won't bother me one way or the other if they stay or go. I know there's a market for it, though probably a lot smaller than the now ubiquitous shops would suggest.

I would hope users are discreet and take into consideration other's private space. Cig smokers often fail to do that and impose their habit on others. Two days ago I was eating in an al fresco area of a restaurant, where there were many signs with weed leaves and the int'l "NO !" symbol on top of it, yet some foreign guy maybe 65-70 years old lit up a boner whose heavy smoke covered both inside and outside the shop. That is rude. That sort of inconsiderate behavior could well lead to a renewed ban.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Banning it again would cause some pain to those who spent big overbuilding weed shops, but financial pain is rarely part of political calculus. If the Thai majority is anti-weed, they won't shed any tears for those who lose.

I have heard from some Thai people, even young ones, that many shops look comical and 'give Thailand a bad name'. That is their opinion. Some do create a carnival atmosphere and seem to be sets from a Cheech and Chong movie.

I'm not a user, so it won't bother me one way or the other if they stay or go. I know there's a market for it, though probably a lot smaller than the now ubiquitous shops would suggest.

I would hope users are discreet and take into consideration other's private space. Cig smokers often fail to do that and impose their habit on others. Two days ago I was eating in an al fresco area of a restaurant, where there were many signs with weed leaves and the int'l "NO !" symbol on top of it, yet some foreign guy maybe 65-70 years old lit up a boner whose heavy smoke covered both inside and outside the shop. That is rude. That sort of inconsiderate behavior could well lead to a renewed ban.

I call BS.

Smoking weed in public like that is already illegal.

Any customer should have complained about that and gotten  that A hole to stop.

The vast majority of weed users in Thailand have interest in causing a public disturbance.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 2

While the position on cannabis of the MFP, led by Pita Limjaroenrat, is less clear, as reported by Australian Finance Review, the leader of the Pheu Thai party, Paetongtarn Shinawatra, has taken a firm stance on cannabis and said that she doesn't want his children to grow up in a country where drugs are easy to find, and cannabis is liberalized, as reported by Bloomberg. Furthermore, the Pheu Thai party aims to reclassify cannabis as a narcotic while preserving its medical use.

This is probably used as a bargaining chip in coalition building.

45 minutes ago, peter zwart said:

Paetongtarn Shinawatra, has taken a firm stance on cannabis and said that she doesn't want his children to grow up in a country where drugs are easy to find, and cannabis is liberalized,

Maybe she can join her father in Dubai?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I call BS.

Smoking weed in public like that is already illegal.

Any customer should have complained about that and gotten  that A hole to stop.

The vast majority of weed users in Thailand have interest in causing a public disturbance.

The staff asked him to take it out in the street, away from the shop.

I don't know the rules---legal in public or not---and neither did they foreigner.

4 hours ago, Walker88 said:

The staff asked him to take it out in the street, away from the shop.

I don't know the rules---legal in public or not---and neither did they foreigner.

Not legal in public but probably not well enforced either.

On 5/17/2023 at 5:10 PM, Jingthing said:

Left wing people are generally libertarian on weed legality and other similar social issues.

I see the opposite....I see banning, cancel culture, speak mandates, weapons ban, hostility against home schooling or religious schools, vaccines etc etc mostly from the left wing. Weed (and other narcotics) is pretty much the only topic where they are libertarian
Not that the right wing is any better, they are just the opposite good on guns but against weed.
True libertarian that also support liberty in areas they don't like are as rare as unicorns

• Like 1

20 hours ago, peter zwart said:

While the position on cannabis of the MFP, led by Pita Limjaroenrat, is less clear, as reported by Australian Finance Review, the leader of the Pheu Thai party, Paetongtarn Shinawatra, has taken a firm stance on cannabis and said that she doesn't want his children to grow up in a country where drugs are easy to find, and cannabis is liberalized, as reported by Bloomberg. Furthermore, the Pheu Thai party aims to reclassify cannabis as a narcotic while preserving its medical use.

This is probably used as a bargaining chip in coalition building.

Easy....good parenting and the kids won't use narcotics...and selling to kids is banned anyway. And the Shinawatras aren't that poor that the kids hang out in the slums with nothing to do.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Will be fun to see all the cannabis shops in Pattaya and Bangkok's tourist areas closing again...

Wonder, what businesses will move in there. Guess there's always demand for more

7-Eleven outlets...

Will be much better for the country. Dirty druggies need to go elsewhere.

• Confused 2