Recommendations please for long term rental, central Pattaya, 20k/month.

JackSinclair

I'm looking at hotels, condos, apartments.  All of course have different merits and disadvantages.

Ideally, central Pattaya , quiet at night, close to baht bus routes

Is there a subtle difference between hotel 'residence' and just paying per month?

Most of the rooms are built for short term vacation stays (geared for tourists) even though they are often rented and marketed with yearly leases and spun as long term condo’s.

Ever wonder why some of the buildings are quite nice, yet have small rooms with just a bed, and a sofa if you are lucky, maybe a small table and a couple chairs? It’s for a short vacation stay, not really a long term residence.

Some examples of “vacation stay buildings” are the Riviera, Treetops, Unixx, The Base, etc. The View Talay’s seem a bit better, probably just because they tend to be bigger, but I still see vacation rooms when I look at most places in Pattaya.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Ever wonder why some of the buildings are quite nice, yet have small rooms with just a bed, and a sofa if you are lucky, maybe a small table and a couple chairs? It’s for a short vacation stay, not really a long term residence.

If you are renting a place for long term stay why would you want it furnished?  

I've seen dozens of condos in Bangkok and the think letting most of them down are the horrible furnishings.

59 minutes ago, Freddy42OZ said:

If you are renting a place for long term stay why would you want it furnished?  

I've seen dozens of condos in Bangkok and the think letting most of them down are the horrible furnishings.

Good point, I don’t typically.  Many places I have viewed don’t allow removal of the existing furnishings. I even ask if it’s ok to buy my own and move it in (many landlords don’t allow it, they want it kept the same as when you move in).

It’s rare to find an unfurnished place. I guess the question is where do they store their cheap crappy furniture or mattress if I want my own stuff.

One thing I usually want to remove right away is a huge sized bed that takes up most of the room. Seems to be an asian thing. I want comfy chairs & a sofa, not a huge bed.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Carlosm said:

Could you let us know the name of your condominium.

PKCP condominium.

I get cheap because I started to rent during the corona.

Normal is 10.000-12.000 depending on size

Edited by PoorSucker
  • Thanks 1

I think no matter where you look in Pattaya you will find that older projects generally have bigger condo unit types with fewer project amenities and newer projects will have a larger number of smaller units but more project amenities.  Older projects will also likely have a fewer number of total units.  Always exceptions, of course.

For example, the smallest condo type available at Northshore Condo is 64sqm.   Total number of units less than 200.  Nice pool, nice gym, nice ping pong and snooker areas, small library, nice lobby, lots of garage parking, good front desk.  Built before things like sky pools, sky gardens, sky lounges, jogging trails, lagoon pools, co-living spaces, theatres, etc., have come into vogue. 

The Riviera Jomtien and Riviera Wong Amat projects, in contrast, have around 1000 units, with many of the units less than half the size of the smallest Northshore condo.  But, you get a ton of project amenities.  And, most of the new projects do offer some larger 2-bedroom units if you need more space.  My partner and I had 2-bedroom units at Unixx, Axis, Lumpini Park Beach, and Centric Sea.

As always, it's important to first select the general location you want to be at and then find the project that best suits your lifestyle and your budget.  If you never swim but an on-site gym is very important, the View Talays probably wouldn't suit.   If you don't drive, you might want a project close to the baht bus line.  Unixx, I believe, is still running its own shuttle bus.   Some of the newer 1000-unit projects can be very busy, with more of a hotel atmosphere than that of a residence.    Some love that, some don't.   No project is perfect but the goal is to come closest to your wants, needs, and budget.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, newnative said:

But, you get a ton of project amenities.

You make that sound like a trade off for the smaller units..... but don't you think these better amenities are charged for in modern buildings by higher service charges on the units?

• Confused 1

"central Pattaya , quiet at night," 

If you find one please let me know it. Also some rooms have very thin walls. If you stay in a hotel it is easier to move than if you stay in a "serviced apartment". If you want to stay in one of the serviced apartments don't forget to ask how much they will charge you for water and electricity. You can also check Airbnb. 

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

You make that sound like a trade off for the smaller units..... but don't you think these better amenities are charged for in modern buildings by higher service charges on the units?

Condo maintenance fees can vary widely--and higher fees don't always translate to higher service, we have found.  With larger projects you should get some economies of scale.  1000 owners paying for the front gate guard at, say, Riviera Jomtien, vs. 200 owners paying for the guard at Northshore.  The View Talays have both large numbers of units and also few amenities--with a very low condo maintenance fee as a result. 

As a buyer, the monthly maintenance fee can be factored into the buying decision but it's never been a big factor for us as even the highest fees we have had have been less than what we were paying in the US.  A high fee never swayed us to eliminate a project from consideration--even when one of the projects had a monthly fee of 7,700 baht, which included weekly maid service.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1