Retirement Visa Medical Insurance

Hi all, hopefully can pick people's brains to help because nightmare trying to find best way forward.

Basically my father passed away recently and I'm hoping for my mother who is 79 years old to come to live with us permanently in Thailand. I have a Thai wife and 3 children, big house so plenty of room for us all together and although I have had visa based on marriage before I am just using tourist visas at present because of work commitments and never knowing when I'll be back in Thailand, especially when visa needs renewing every year. My question is what is the best way forward for long term stay in Thailand. I'm specifically asking about the medical insurance because at age 79 and climbing it is very difficult to find a insurance company to offer cover. I have read about an O visa which means no medical insurance required for retirement Visa but not sure if she qualifies being family as I am not a Thai citizen and don't think mother in law to my wife counts as family. Any help would be fantastic, cheers in advance everyone 

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Some clear information from ubonjoe in this thread

https://aseannow.com/topic/1126146-piggy-back-visa-for-mom/

Thanks for reply mate, that solves the medical insurance problem it seems, I just need to try to work around my problem of not being in Thailand when my retirement Visa would be renewed every year. Maybe I'll have to change jobs

24 minutes ago, Trucker24 said:

I just need to try to work around my problem of not being in Thailand when my retirement Visa would be renewed every year.

Perhaps there is particular time of the year that you would likely to be in Thailand eg Xmas..

Keep in mind that extension renewal has a 30 day window and 45 at some offices.

Unlike extensions marriage there is no under consideration period. 

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Perhaps there is particular time of the year that you would likely to be in Thailand eg Xmas..

Keep in mind that extension renewal has a 30 day window and 45 at some offices.

Unlike extensions marriage there is no under consideration period. 

Thanks mate, I forgot about that. That's why I couldn't do marriage extension because of under consideration period but as you say not have with retirement Visa. This helps me and my mum. Perfect, fantastic help ????????????

• Thumbs Up 1

If money in the bank is not a problem, the easy solution is for your mother to enter with a tourist visa, establish a bank account in her name, deposit 800,000 baht, and get a Non O visa and subsequent extensions based on retirement.

More complicated solutions that require lower finances are possible, as is the use of an agent to streamline the process.

8 hours ago, Trucker24 said:

although I have had visa based on marriage before I am just using tourist visas at present because of work commitments and never knowing when I'll be back in Thailand, especially when visa needs renewing every year.

Not for your mother, but for yourself > You could consider applying for the 1-year Multiple-Entry Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage at the Savannakhet consulate (just across the Mekong river from Mukdahan).  That Visa costs 5.000,- THB and does not require any financials to be proven, and you only need your original Marriage certificate with a Thai national to apply for it.

During the 1-year validity of that Visa you will be provided on every entry into Thailand with a 90-day Permit to stay (which can be extended at your local Imm Office with a 60-day extension for reason of visiting your wife).  After those 90 (or 150 days) you would need to exit Thailand, but when you travel abroad often it is the ideal Visa because which each entry during the 1-year validity you get once again a 90-day Permit to stay.  And when you exit Thailand just before the 1-day expiry date of that Visa, you can squeeze 17 month out of it...  

I'm not commenting on the visa aspect, but you'll be hard pushed to find any insurance company willing to write a policy for your Mom at that age at any price.

You have to realize Thai private medical insurance is a true insurance  market based on risk.

Even in the crazy US we basically exit that at 65 and enter Medicare, not so in Thailand..

So good luck but even 'if' you find a company there will be so many exclusions it'll be money down the drain.

Hate to sound a doomsayer, but thats the reality of medical insurance for older expats in Thailand

• Like 1

On 5/20/2023 at 4:55 PM, BritTim said:

If money in the bank is not a problem, the easy solution is for your mother to enter with a tourist visa, establish a bank account in her name, deposit 800,000 baht, and get a Non O visa and subsequent extensions based on retirement.

Short of offering a bribe (ie use an agent"" to get around the rules) I have never been able to do that.  I am just not ok with offering bribes so I never pursued it.   The three trips I have been on where I tired to open an account across multiple banks in multiple locations I was always refused and was informed  I needed a Non O retirement visa BEFORE they would open an account.  How ?  I needed to get the correct Visa in my home country (Australia) then arrive and open an account.

perhaps things have changed ?

22 minutes ago, BumGun said:

The three trips I have been on where I tired to open an account across multiple banks in multiple locations I was always refused and was informed  I needed a Non O retirement visa BEFORE they would open an account

You use an agent.

Nothing to do with immigration.. 

1 hour ago, BumGun said:

Short of offering a bribe (ie use an agent"" to get around the rules) I have never been able to do that.  I am just not ok with offering bribes so I never pursued it.   The three trips I have been on where I tired to open an account across multiple banks in multiple locations I was always refused and was informed  I needed a Non O retirement visa BEFORE they would open an account.  How ?  I needed to get the correct Visa in my home country (Australia) then arrive and open an account.

perhaps things have changed ?

Opening a bank account is the hardest part of the process, but not insuperable. An agent can help (for a price). Doing it alone is possible, but requires persistence and an understanding of how the bank employees think. Assuming you are not fluent in Thai, take along a Thai who comes across as "high class" to help. You may need to purchase (not completely worthless) accident insurance (3,000 baht or so) as a sweetener to induce the bank employees to help (they get a small commission).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Doing it alone is possible, but requires persistence and an understanding of how the bank employees think. Assuming you are not fluent in Thai, take along a Thai who comes across as "high class" to help. You may need to purchase (not completely worthless) accident insurance (3,000 baht or so) as a sweetener to induce the bank employees to help (they get a small commission)

Previously that was the case.

Now requires a certificate of residence and that is not possible in Bangkok since to obtain a certificate of residence you need to have made a TM47 and that not possible on visa exempt or tourist visa entry. 

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Previously that was the case.

Now requires a certificate of residence and that is not possible in Bangkok since to obtain a certificate of residence you need to have made a TM47 and that not possible on visa exempt or tourist visa entry. 

Some banks will accept other proofs of residence (such as a long term rental contract combined with evidence of a TM30 notification). As ever in Thailand, there is no consistency in the requirements between banks and individual branches.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Some banks will accept other proofs of residence (such as a long term rental contract combined with evidence of a TM30 notification). As ever in Thailand, there is no consistency in the requirements between banks and individual branches.

Won't continue the debate.

CW insist upon a TM47 to issue residence certificate. 

TM30 and lease will not do.

The alternative is to obtain "letter from embassy". This is also the case for TDL.

The problem is some embassies eg Oz , USA and others to not endorse address. 

In some provinces yes immigration may/will issue certificate of residence with eg TM30 and lease etc. 

Not possible in Bangkok. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

Won't continue the debate.

CW insist upon a TM47 to issue residence certificate. 

TM30 and lease will not do.

The alternative is to obtain "letter from embassy". This is also the case for TDL.

The problem is some embassies eg Oz , USA and others to not endorse address. 

In some provinces yes immigration may/will issue certificate of residence with eg TM30 and lease etc. 

Not possible in Bangkok. 

I do not know for now  , but in early day's starting my non o ret. ext. i asked just to the immigration officer woman desk 8 a letter to KK branch to assist me to open a KK account for purpose keeping the 800 k thai baht needed for my ret. ext.  (just paid 200 baht fee that time in 2013 ) was delivered at the spot )

This became my second KK account besides my first one opened in 2209 just whit mij triple entry non -o

An immigration request letter  to a bank is  like a " not to refuse request " , it might still be an option to work....

Edited by david555

5 minutes ago, david555 said:

I do not know for now  , but in early day's starting my non o ret. ext. i asked just to the immigration officer woman desk 8 a letter to KK branch to assist me to open a KK account for purpose keeping the 800 k thai baht needed for my ret. ext.  (just paid 200 baht fee that time in 2013 ) was delivered at the spot )

This became my second KK account besides my first one opened in 2209 just whit mij triple entry non -o

An immigration request letter  to a bank is  like a " not to refuse request " , it might still be an option to work....

Think you mean triple entry tourist visa.

In any event that was 2013. 

Things have changed dramatically.

Even the banks such as Bangkok Bank on their guidelines refer to having existing customer with you etc etc is all out the window.

Most banks in various provinces are requiring certificate of residence or letter from embassy.

This is all down to newish money laundering laws.

My post that you quoted was referring to Bangkok where you cannot obtain a certificate of residence without having done a TM47.

This does not apply in other provinces where some immigration offices will provide certificate with TM30 and perhaps lease. 

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Think you mean triple entry tourist visa.

In any event that was 2013. 

Things have changed dramatically.

Even the banks such as Bangkok Bank on their guidelines refer to having existing customer with you etc etc is all out the window.

Most banks in various provinces are requiring certificate of residence or letter from embassy.

This is all down to newish money laundering laws.

My post that you quoted was referring to Bangkok where you cannot obtain a certificate of residence without having done a TM47.

This does not apply in other provinces where some immigration offices will provide certificate with TM30 and perhaps lease. 

That is why i kept my KK account alive  with money on it when i left Thailand in Sept 2022 , hoping still account being alive when returning end 2024 latest ????

(also no problem taking out my money for the biggest part , simply by  K+ mobile , not one problem , because in different stages and to different E.U. banks )

Edited by david555

1 minute ago, david555 said:

That is why i kept my KK account alive  with money on it when i left Thailand in Sept 2022 , hoping still account being alive when returning end 2024 latest ????

Your account will remain alive.

The only reason the bank cancel them is when funds in the account cannot cover bank charges eg card fee. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your account will remain alive.

The only reason the bank cancel them is when funds in the account cannot cover bank charges eg card fee. 

pasport expiere  12 FEb. 2025 ......KK keep records for that and invited me in the past for come with new one , so i keep in mind , i

am surprised that i can open now KK mobile on my E.U. sim number , (not asking for the Th. sim who is out the smartphone and in a dumb phone who is sometimes open but not always ...., ) but with the original smartphone i used in Thailand , so i guess because internet and the original used phone IMEI body numberr i gues , but was anyway surprised

Edited by david555