Coffee Bean Recommendations

Madgee

20 hours ago, dddave said:

"Abstract 13" is a high end restaurant and hotel coffee equipment and bean supplier with a retail store on Sukhumvit 71 in Phra Khanong.  They have a house "Blue" coffee that is excellent.

https://www.abstract13.com/product-category/เมล็ดกาแฟ/

Thanks. Unfortunately I am in Pattaya, but I had a short sneak preview at the website. It is all in Thai, but I have a Thai Wife who likes Coffee as well.

What do you mean with "House" Blue Coffee. It must come from Jamaica or am I wrong ?

Edited by moogradod

On 5/21/2023 at 4:29 PM, KhunLA said:

Completely different packaging, but as I said, long time ago.  Going to peek in Lotus's & Makro, see if they have.  Rarely shop at Lotus's, but Makro didn't have my yeast, and can't remember where I bought.  Swensen's (2/1 Tues) is in the Lotus's 'mall', so I'll be there Tuesday ????

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/blue-mountain-250-i130163641-s138113303.html?from_gmc=1&exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:19668221003!!!!!c!!138113303!124974055&gclid=CjwKCAjwgqejBhBAEiwAuWHioCUeH53NHQrFkrMUKct0HnnF9zpAQhCP-9dYSia6GEfRrMOil2j2WhoCF_8QAvD_BwE

Thank you ! Could have had a short look at Lazada myself, but somehow I had the impression that I did that already before. You proved me wrong. They even have various kinds .... unfortunately. The torture of the selection (in German we say: ("Die Qual der Wahl") and who knows how fresh the beans are ......

Edited by moogradod

Coffee... like wine is a personal thing.. everyone has their own tastes.

Personally - I buy from https://coffeeculture.asia

They have a good selection... an almost overwhelming selection actually... I like that Premium Arabica A.... and also the Khun Chang Khian Coffee... Medium roast.

They roast to order.

---------

Getting a little technical now...   Much of the quality you get from coffee will be the grinder.

IF the grinder you have is not very good, the coffee will not be so great. 

And... If the ‘grinder’ you have is a blade-grinder, then forget it.... just order the coffee pre-ground by the supplier.

But, IF you have a good Burr grinder (conical ceramic burrs (even stainless steel are ok if not old)), then you can grind to your preferred setting to get your machine and grind dialled in to your perfect tastes. 

When making espresso you are ideally looking for a 2:1 ratio with a good timing for extraction...

i.e. 18gms coffee... 5 second pre-infusion, then a pour of 30 seconds to extract 36gms of liquid.

23 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Thank you ! Could have had a short look at Lazada myself, but somehow I had the impression that I did that already before. You proved me wrong. They even have various kinds .... unfortunately. The torture of the selection (in German we say: ("Die Qual der Wahl") and who knows how fresh the beans are ......

Our local Lotus's didn't have, though no surprise, as has to be one of, if not, the worst Lotus's in TH.   They didn't even have any yeast, and I looked everywhere, even the cold case.  Rest of baking selection was poor, you sell flour, but no yeast.

A good thing actually, as had to search and found a local bakery supply shop I didn't know existed,  Found yeast and while there, saw the bread flour I use, and both cheaper than Makro.   win win 

Yes, there is no shortage of coffee choices here.  I don't do much experimenting any more, as too disappointing.  Not really the coffee purist any way.

ENJOY

Edited by KhunLA

3 hours ago, moogradod said:

Thanks. Unfortunately I am in Pattaya, but I had a short sneak preview at the website. It is all in Thai, but I have a Thai Wife who likes Coffee as well.

What do you mean with "House" Blue Coffee. It must come from Jamaica or am I wrong ?

The Abstract 13 website does have an English option though not everything is translated.  I don't know the origin of their "Blue" variety.  They do speak English so you could send them an E-mail if you're interested.  IIRC, all their blends are Thai grown coffees.

On 5/21/2023 at 8:42 AM, sammieuk1 said:

Hillkoff Chiang Mai delivery anywhere Italian expresso beans unbeatable @220bt per bag ????

On 5/21/2023 at 11:47 AM, Plern said:

A bag... Is that 125gms or 1250gms?

The coffee I buy in the Hilkoff outlet near me are in 250g and 500g packages.  The 220 ฿ would be for 500g.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/22/2023 at 6:25 PM, KhunLA said:

Yes, there is no shortage of coffee choices here.  I don't do much experimenting any more, as too disappointing.  Not really the coffee purist any way.

ENJOY

Thank you. I do not know where I had my mind. I just had a look at our local VILLA yesterday and there it was: Blue Mountain Coffee Beans. About 750 THB compared to the other brands at below 170 THB to the left and right on the shelf for the same quantity.

But as you say - it is a PITA to figure out which brand is the best and it would be so very valuable if one could depend on someones experience and expertise. The Special Edition Nespresso was quite good but as well 3 times the price than their normal capsules. Something for a special occasion.

In Tokyo every better Coffee Shop offers Blue Mountain. I never saw it in a Coffee Shop here.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Just received 2 x 500gm of their Special roast, two days to get here. Very nice taste.

Yes, I ordered the same but received the medium roast by mistake ???? 

They apologised profusely and offered to send out the special roast next day. As they wanted me to return the order they got wrong, I couldn't be faffed so I'll be keeping it and I'll try it out tomorrow.  Mistakes happen. 

Thanks to all who have given me contacts and choices. 

4 hours ago, moogradod said:

In Tokyo every better Coffee Shop offers Blue Mountain. I never saw it in a Coffee Shop here.

I used to see it in coffee shops in Thailand but I probably haven't seen it for over 10 years now. I always thought it was just a Thai blend and not something more 'exotic'. I could have been wrong though. At the time I liked it but then there was not nearly as much choice or quality available in Thailand as there is now.