Private Sector ‘Confident Senators Will Back Pita For PM’

webfact

image.jpeg

by TNR Staff

THE head of Thai Condominium Association Mr. Peerapong Jaroon-ek said today (May 21) the private sector is certain senators would definitely endorse Move Forward leader Pita Limjaroenrat for prime minister as they would not dare oppose voters who gave his party a huge victory with Pheu Thai Party coming second, Matichon newspaper said.

Peerapong, who is also CEO of Origin Plc, also foresees economic and social improvement  after the new government is formed with this boosting confidence among both Thai and foreign investors.

The military-designed constitution calls for the naming of a partisan candidate for prime minister to secure yea votes from more than half the combined total of 500 MPs and 250 unelected senators or at least 376 votes.

The latest move toward the setting up of a post-election government is seeing the progressive party-led coalition with eight partners and a united force of 313 MPs, including 152 Move Forward MPs, 141 Pheu Thai MPs, 9 Prachachart MPs, 6 Thai Sang Thai MPs, two Pheu Thai Ruam Palang MPs, one Thai Liberal MP, one Fair Party MP and one Palang Sangkhom Mai MP.

Full story: https://thainewsroom.com/2023/05/21/private-sector-confident-senators-will-back-pita-for-pm/

tn.jpg

-- © Copyright  THAI NEWSROOM 2023-05-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

5 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

He has more confidence than I do... 

The EC and the senate have a spanner ready to put into the wheels of change.

yes and he has no source...what poll did he do in the "private sector"?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well they'll also have to "back" his legislative agenda. They won't, obviously, so it's all moot.

Current Senators have their term end in 2024.

I honestly do not know what happens then? A new five year term could be implemented by Royal Decree? Or will someone appoint new Senators,or will there be an election? I think appointment or election erquires a change to the Constitution.

18 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

He is just adding to the public pressure for the Senators to do the right thing. These are his views garnered through his position as head of the TCA - a position one expects has significant dealings with many many private sector operators.

I find it hilarious that you are questioning this guys commentary when every time some bozo says “my wife heard” and then prattles on with some nonsense about how evil Thaksin is, you swallow it hook, line and sinker without a single moment of considered thought.

Its over, your side lost, Pita will be PM and Thailand will be a democracy - enough with the desperation.

a) There is no "my side"

b) how does the private sector want higher minimum salary and left leaning politics?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, h90 said:

a) There is no "my side"

b) how does the private sector want higher minimum salary and left leaning politics?

a) pro junta is your side - if you are unsure, just go and read your posting history.

b) The private sector, like nearly every other Thai, simply want the incompetent, inept and corrupt junta gone - at any price.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

You can't beat a well constructed, erudite argument.

I think there is already something brewing....With making 112 so big, MF will get some resistance and various fractions will try different things to block them. If it works is a other question, but I am sure Army, Yellows, Monarchists, Conservatives will try

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

He is just adding to the public pressure for the Senators to do the right thing. These are his views garnered through his position as head of the TCA - a position one expects has significant dealings with many many private sector operators.

I find it hilarious that you are questioning this guys commentary when every time some bozo says “my wife heard” and then prattles on with some nonsense about how evil Thaksin is, you swallow it hook, line and sinker without a single moment of considered thought.

Its over, your side lost, Pita will be PM and Thailand will be a democracy - enough with the desperation.

I seriously doubt Pita will be allowed the seat, and I like the guy a lot. it really doesn't matter what the people think here. the system is designed here to the benefit of a few,  and there is enough to deny Pita if they want. they had tanks rolled in to overthrow an elected government. if they want to pull the rug under Pita on technicalities, then it's even easier this time. sorry to say

1 hour ago, cncltd1973 said:

I seriously doubt Pita will be allowed the seat, and I like the guy a lot. it really doesn't matter what the people think here. the system is designed here to the benefit of a few,  and there is enough to deny Pita if they want. they had tanks rolled in to overthrow an elected government. if they want to pull the rug under Pita on technicalities, then it's even easier this time. sorry to say

Times change.

Pita has been drawing large crowds nearly everyday AFTER the election.

He is already the most powerful person in Thailand.

Not sorry to say - he will be PM in short order.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Well they'll also have to "back" his legislative agenda. They won't, obviously, so it's all moot.

I honestly do not know what happens then? A new five year term could be implemented by Royal Decree? Or will someone appoint new Senators,or will there be an election? I think appointment or election erquires a change to the Constitution.

The rules for the election of the new senate next year are laid out in the Organic Act on the Acquisition of Senators. There is an elaborate system on multiple levels of government from national to local to pick from a list of applicants. No change in the consitution is needed for that. Senators can't be member of any party and also can't have served as senator before amongst other requirements.

https://www.ect.go.th/ect_en/download/article/article_20210806135906.pdf

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

200 new Senators will be selected by selection committees, according to the process described in the Constitution. The composition of the selection committees is prescribed (I remember it includes the heads of agencies). Link provided in the post above by eisfeld.

It is not clear who will appoint the selection committees, probably the EC.

So as usual, appointed people will appoint each other. Due to the political "colour" of the EC and the other agencies members, we can expect a dominantly pro-yellow establishment new Senate.

Edited by candide

10 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Times change.

Pita has been drawing large crowds nearly everyday AFTER the election.

Not sorry to say - he will be PM in short order.

from your lips to God's ears

10 hours ago, eisfeld said:

The rules for the election of the new senate next year are laid out in the Organic Act on the Acquisition of Senators.

Thanks for that. I've read that before but assumed it just covered the first term.

Did that just cover the initial "acquisition of Senators"? Or does it imply that when the initial five year terms ends, that mass replacement would occur just as it would for replacing a few Senators, who let's say pass away during their term?

Can that Act be changed/modified/replaced by Parliament? Or a PM?

That would not require a change to the Constitution.

11 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Do you believe that........or it is just enthusiasm? I would be surprised if he was second!

Edited by jacko45k

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Do you believe that........or it is just enthusiasm? I would be surprised if he was second!

He is the leader of a motivated mass movement that will only grow in numbers as the demography shifts towards younger generations.

Who, right now in Thailand, could call the people to the streets and have that call answered by perhaps a million souls?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Did that just cover the initial "acquisition of Senators"? Or does it imply that when the initial five year terms ends, that mass replacement would occur just as it would for replacing a few Senators, who let's say pass away during their term?

AFAIK when the term ends, the constitution on senate appointment proceedings will have to be re-written due to the legal technicality as regards to the selection and appointment of the senators. The body (NCPO) that was assigned to select the panel of 8-10 person committee has been disbanded after the coup. 

No provision in the constitution for mass replacement but there are provisions for resignation and death. 

2 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

The constitution allows amendment to the military-backed constitution adopted in 2017. In 2020,  oppositions pushed for amendment to abolish the Senate and demanded change but was voted down by the joint houses. Civilians can pushed for amendment if they can garnered sufficient signatures. Re-drafting the whole constitution will need a referendum. 

Edited by Eric Loh
wrong word
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Thanks for that. I've read that before but assumed it just covered the first term.

It actually covers what happens after the first term. What happens during the initial first five years is laid out in the constitution under Section 269. This is where they lay out the role of the NCPO in selecting senators. After the first term all senators will be replaced and can't run for a second term.

Any law has to pass the house of representatives first and then has to pass the senate which can block it.

https://www.admincourt.go.th/ADMINCOURT/upload/webcmsen/Publication/Publication_021220_132718.pdf

This is my understanding of the matter after reading the documents. I'm not a lawyer or expert on the topic.

6 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

AFAIK when the term ends, the constitution on senate appointment proceedings will have to be re-written due to the legal technicality as regards to the selection and appointment of the senators. The body (NCPO) that was assigned to select the panel of 8-10 person committee has been disbanded after the coup. 

No provision in the constitution for mass replacement but there are provisions for resignation and death. 

This is not correct. The constitution does not need rewriting in that way. It already contains sections that deal with the selection of senators for the initial term with the NCPO involved in Section 269 and for the terms after the initial period in Section 107. I've linked the relevant Organic Act before that is referred to in the constitution.

The constitution also contains provisions that the term of the senators are limited to one so the whole senate will be mass replaced. Section 108 b) (9):

Section 108. A Senator shall have the qualifications and not be under any of
the prohibitions as follows:

b. prohibitions:

(9) having held office as a Senator under this Constitutio

Edited by eisfeld

On 5/21/2023 at 8:53 PM, MrMojoRisin said:

a) pro junta is your side - if you are unsure, just go and read your posting history.

b) The private sector, like nearly every other Thai, simply want the incompetent, inept and corrupt junta gone - at any price.

Don't be too quick with your judgements and assessments as applying to the deeper relationships of the private sector [largely corporations and other powerful business interests] and the rich history of a ruling military class, as they all could be considered family within their corrupted circles. 

21 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Who, right now in Thailand, could call the people to the streets and have that call answered by perhaps a million souls?

Think about it...... there is another.