Prosecutors Sought Records on Trump’s Foreign Business Deals Since 2017

onthedarkside

image.png.0ce9b2ebbcf58d5ba2f8d89b55ab8852.png

Federal prosecutors overseeing the investigation into former President Donald J. Trump’s handling of classified documents have issued a subpoena for information about Mr. Trump’s business dealings in foreign countries since he took office, according to two people familiar with the matter.

It remains unclear precisely what the prosecutors were hoping to find by sending the subpoena to Mr. Trump’s company, the Trump Organization, or when it was issued.

But the subpoena suggests that investigators have cast a wider net than previously understood as they scrutinize whether he broke the law in taking sensitive government materials with him upon leaving the White House and then not fully complying with demands for their return.

READ MORE

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/05/22/us/politics/trump-records-foreign-deals.html

image.png.96ae38de40ab645d995a32e73ec2d938.png

No paywall archive link

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Pink Mist said:

One has to wonder just how many dirty deals he has done the world over. The rich dont just get rich by doing things the right way, they use shell companies and proxies to do the main work.

Behind every great fortune there is a crime. — Balzac (maybe)

Actually, it was his father's fortune.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, bendejo said:

Behind every great fortune there is a crime. — Balzac (maybe)

Actually, it was his father's fortune.

From what I remember his father was something of a slime bag as well ... slum landlord and exploiter of prospectors or something on those lines I believe ...

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, bendejo said:

Well, all of that letting him slide during his term turned into a "give him enough rope" scenario.  Did he really think he was going to get away with all this stuff? 

Treason charges are in the wind.

I'd like to say 'we can but hope'. Except that would mean he had probably committed treason - meaning the damage would sadly already be done and no longer undoable.

Hopefully they will find something with enough evidence to persecute,at the very least find what and how he betrayed us to mitigate the damage (if he did) it’s quite possible he made copies of lots of sensitive material to use for leverage I wouldent put that past him 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, LosLobo said:

You might be getting confused between Trump's father and his grandfather though likely having a similar reputation,

His grandfather was a brothel owner in the Klondike.

Yeah thanks, that's the one, I just trawled it from memory like I said. That's where the fortune originates ... DNA I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do understand that Americans bandy the word treason around mainly because they cannot think of a stronger word or phrase than "I don't like him." Yet, the number of people who have called treason here on AN (and Twitter!) is excessive. The US Constitution is very specific.

Article III, Section 3, Clause 1:

Treason against the United States, shall consist only (my emphasis) in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The last American found guilty of treason was in... 1952. It is so rare for people to be accused officially of treason that even famous spies like Aldrich Ames, Robert Hanssen and Jonathon Pollard were prosecuted for espionage, not treason, because Congress had not declared was on the USSR.

Sorry for being pedantic but when anyone says, "He's a traitor" whether about Trump or the group that invaded the Capitol, I can't help but feel they are hurting their own, perhaps otherwise not unreasonable, argument by not understanding the facts.

Apologies for the intermission.