Outrage as Thai rape sentence slashed in half, raising questions about justice system

snoop1130

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

No, they don't make it up. It's the Thai law. Confess and get it halved. We may think it's preposterous, especially in cases when the confession is totally irrelevant, but it's their law. On the other hand, look at the justice system of some first world countries and it's often just as crazy.

What is outrageous is that in a case like this he got only 6 years to start with. The jury should be composed of women who suffered rape, then it would be a different music.

I believe sentencing is the Judge's prerogative and there seems to be a total lack of consistency of judgement by this cabal of out of touch intellectuals. You have 'hanging Judges on one hand and 'Liberal Judges' on the other. One set is too harsh and the other set is too soft and there's nothing in between

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

What is outrageous is that in a case like this he got only 6 years to start with. The jury should be composed of women who suffered rape, then it would be a different music.

Thailand does not have jury trials, judges decide here but, if it it did, a stupidly biased jury such as you suggest would be ridiculous.   

5 hours ago, quake said:

Funny how one thread can generate so much hatred and an other

thread, most people don't care about, or call out for blood.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1295698-phimai-9-year-old-girl-electrocuted-at-sports-field-power-pole/

Is that the one where the girl, herself, tampered with the circuit-breaker causing her own death?

4 hours ago, h90 said:

"because he confessed and it was his first crime"

Also because no violence and she did not fight back....

It is something different if someone beat the woman half dead or if it is without violence.

Rape is violence!

2 hours ago, jvs said:

Rape is violence!

So you want to punish one who beat her half dead and one who didn't do body damage equal?
I would say as more violent as harder we must punish these men.

Edited by h90
typo

2 hours ago, RobU said:

I think it was only last year Germany changed their law on rape. Until then if a woman did not fight back it could not be classed as rape even if the man was holding a knife to her throat same in some other European countries

it is clearly rape but there is a difference in the violence...from it could be almost consensus to beating her half dead and with horrific internal wounds....(I don't read such things anymore because else I can't sleep so horrific are cases)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobU said:

I think more like 90-100 years. This is England of the 1930's or even 1920's 'Yes yr lordship you killed someone with your big beautiful car but in mitigation you were drunk at the time/ You didn't maintain your machinery properly and someone died, but you are a decent chappie of good breeding, so let's call it an accident'.

so indeed 2 generations is about 100 years or more

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 6:07 AM, hotchilli said:

What system, they make it up as they go along.

Yes your honour I did it.. okay half the sentence?

I'm not defending the outcome here or the defendant involved.

But in truth,  they're not "making it up as they go along."

It's a standard, longstanding practice in Thai criminal courts to reduce sentences by half if the suspect/accused confesses -- thus saving the court system from having to do a full-blown trial.

Not saying that's right or good. But unfortunately, that IS the way they do it here.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1