Work Permit, and Visa Cancellation!

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the cancellation of a work permit and visa, and I would greatly appreciate your insights and guidance on this matter.

Here's some background information:

I will be concluding my employment with my current company in Bangkok on 31st May, as I am transitioning to a new opportunity with a BOI company in Chiang Mai. To avoid potential delays and complications, I am considering handling the work permit and visa cancellation process myself, rather than relying on my soon-to-be ex-employer.

I have heard conflicting information on whether it is permissible to cancel the work permit and visa independently. Some people say it can be done, while others claim it must be done by the employer. I am uncertain about the correct course of action.

If any of you have experience or knowledge in this area, I kindly request your guidance on the following questions:

• Is it legally possible for me to cancel my work permit and visa on my own, without involving my employer?
  • If self-cancellation is allowed, could you please provide me with the necessary steps and documentation required for the work permit and visa cancellation process?

I genuinely appreciate any information, advice, or personal experiences you can share.

first of all you need a termination letter from your employer. 

then go to the immigration and tell them you are done with your work. they will ask you your termination letter.

bare in mind that the date on your termination letter is your last day in thailand.

because it also cancel your visa.. probably non-b.. immigration will tell you that you have 24 hours to leave thailand right after you tell them and show them the termination letter. im not sure you can ask them 7 days for 2000 baht or not. 

you have 2 options here..

1) you talk with your new job and prepare all the documents for your visa. if they can do that you dont need to leave the country.. you can do everything in the same day.

2) if the new job cannot provide you with the documents you need to leave the country when you cancel your work.

i strongly advice you that to prepare your tax documents for your next work permit.. thats the first thing they will ask you when you want to expend your visa when you get the new work

• Like 1

2 hours ago, problemfarang said:

because it also cancel your visa.. probably non-b

Visas are NOT cancelled, only extensions of stay

immigration will tell you that you have 24 hours to leave thailand

No they will not, you leave that day or apply for a different extension of stay

7 days for 2000 baht

The 7-day refused extension costs 1900 Baht, the same as every extension

you talk with your new job and prepare all the documents for your visa. if they can do that you dont need to leave the country.. you can do everything in the same day.

That would be if he was applying for a new extension of stay at the SAME office as where he is cancelling the old one, and obviously that is not the case for the OP

first of all you need a termination letter from your employer. 

This is correct

• Like 2

This is incredibly helpful and applies exactly to my situation.  I will be changing jobs in 3 months.  Problem Farang's advice makes great sense and helps much.  My biggest question regards my work permit.  I understand that my work permit and visa will be terminated when I present the letter of termination.  My new employer will put together the paperwork for my new visa extension, but won't they need my work permit to do that?  I guess what I am asking is which comes first, getting a new work permit or getting the visa extension?  Saving a trip out of country would be great.  

Oh, and I am sure there are lots of threads on this, but if I DO need to leave and come back, what's the best place to fly to for this, and can I fly out and back same day?  

Thanks so very much!!!!  

Thank you for the inputs guys. I really appreciate it. 

6 hours ago, problemfarang said:

1) you talk with your new job and prepare all the documents for your visa. if they can do that you dont need to leave the country.. you can do everything in the same day.

My new job informed me that they will take care of everything once I get the work permit cancelled. The issue here is I must be in Bangkok for my Work Permit cancellation. I don't think I can make it to Chiang Mai the same day and continue Work Permit application. 

3 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

That would be if he was applying for a new extension of stay at the SAME office as where he is cancelling the old one, and obviously that is not the case for the OP

Can I apply for a new work permit If I got an extension of stay (7 Days)? If I understand correctly, the new work permit and visa must be issued within 7 days for me to not have to leave Thailand. Is that right?

3 minutes ago, mrtpp said:

Can I apply for a new work permit If I got an extension of stay (7 Days)? If I understand correctly, the new work permit and visa must be issued within 7 days for me to not have to leave Thailand. Is that right?

The 7 days to leave the country is final. It is not an extension in the normal sense. Once you have an order to leave the country within 7 days, you must always comply. However, assuming you are eligible for visa exempt entry into Thailand, you can just do a same day border bounce at most land crossings for a 30-day visa exempt entry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

The 7 days to leave the country is final. It is not an extension in the normal sense.

My last question is: Can I cancel my own work permit without getting my current employer involved?

I have the following documents:
1. Termination Letter
2. Visa (Extension of Stay) Cancellation Letter
3. Certificate of Employment (I think this is for the new job)
4. Work Permit Cancellation Form

I have heard of people who were able to do it, and people who needed their employers to do it for them. So, if possible, I would like to do it myself. 

17 minutes ago, mrtpp said:

My last question is: Can I cancel my own work permit without getting my current employer involved?

I have the following documents:
1. Termination Letter
2. Visa (Extension of Stay) Cancellation Letter
3. Certificate of Employment (I think this is for the new job)
4. Work Permit Cancellation Form

I have heard of people who were able to do it, and people who needed their employers to do it for them. So, if possible, I would like to do it myself. 

yes you can

just take the termination letter and the work permit with you to the labor office.

it will take 15 min to do all.

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

yes you can

just take the termination letter and the work permit with you to the labor office.

it will take 15 min to do all.

Thank you so much for the information.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2023 at 7:41 PM, problemfarang said:

dont forget passport hahaha

I have one more question about the labor office. Can it be any nearest labor office, or must it be the one that issued me the work permit?

On 5/30/2023 at 12:42 PM, mrtpp said:

I have one more question about the labor office. Can it be any nearest labor office, or must it be the one that issued me the work permit?

it must be the one your work place working with. its about the area. so you cannot go just the one you want

• 4 months later...

Luckily, I was able to do everything in June. Canceling my work permit and stay extension in Thailand turned out to be tough. My ex-employer didn't want to help, I had to beg them to at least give my Thai friend the power of attorney to cancel my work permit and visa on their behalf. They even went as far as to tell me that they couldn't help cancelling the extension of stay because I hadn't committed any crimes and that I am not a criminal. Of course, I later found out that was a lie. Turns out, the lack of help from my ex-employer made canceling both my work permit and stay extension complicated. They wanted to make it hard for me as a punishment for leaving them. 

Anyway, thanks you guys for sharing useful information with me.

Edited by mrtpp