Myanmar junta says it will rethink relationship with Thailand

webfact

32 minutes ago, h90 said:

I speak about Thailands politics against Myanmar....Myanmars dictatorship does not treat Thailand so there is no appeasement. Thais voted, but foreign politics was not a topic in the election.

Foreign policy was not a topic in the election?

From a pre-election interview:

During a recent interview with the Standard, Pita Limjaroenrat, the leader and prime ministerial candidate of the Move Forward Party, pointed out that “international relations was less about choosing sides than choosing principle” because “the new world order is no world order.” Pita explicitly “promised to move fundamental rights to the front of Thailand’s foreign policy.” 

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

During a recent interview with the Standard, Pita Limjaroenrat, the leader and prime ministerial candidate of the Move Forward Party, pointed out that “international relations was less about choosing sides than choosing principle” because “the new world order is no world order.” Pita explicitly “promised to move fundamental rights to the front of Thailand’s foreign policy.” 

OK I stay corrected in this....

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, smedly said:

no big loss

It's horrible for the people who we're finally enjoying prosperity and freedom under Aung San SUU Kyi.

It's absolutely beautiful country that not unlike Thailand keeps having the military come in and overthrow the electric governments.

What a sad history. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chilli42 said:

… LPG next?  That would get some attention.

Thailand is importing gas from Myanmar, or? I read that a long time ago so it might have changed.

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I feel sad for all of the ethnic groups in Myanmar. This is turning into a humanitarian crisis.

It already is.  Thailand's current junta keeps throwing them back across the border.   

Just now, MrJ2U said:

It's horrible for the people who we're finally enjoying prosperity and freedom under Aung San SUU Kyi.

It's absolutely beautiful country that not unlike Thailand keeps having the military come in and overthrow the electric governments.

What a sad history. 

We had a staff from the very west of Myanmar...he equally hated Aung San SUU Kyi and the military....but he had softened on the military because they helped against the Rohingya (his words not mine)...but he still hates them. He actually hated every other ethnic of Myanmar....I guess not easy to get peace there.

• Confused 2

What a crass statement.

It's the Thais who are rethinking the relationship with the butcher's from Burma.

After years of the despicable Thai army running the country being in cahoots with their butchering cronies, it's about time Thailand stood up for something other than the slaughter of the innocent and democratic principles, neither of which Too and his Muppets ever did.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The second most powerful man in the Myanmar regime, General Soe Win, warned his troops that Thailand’s likely new government was ‘pro West’ and would help the ‘terrorists’ operating in his country, according to The Irrawaddy newspaper.

Time to stock up on those fighter jets and subs.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

General Soe Win is a genocidal terrorist, and a madman serial killer. Of course he is going to feel threatened by a neighbor with forward thinking policies. And of course he would have been more comfortable with the extremely regressive Thai army, and backward dinosaurs like Cha Cha. Too bad. If he wants to isolate their ugly regime further, it is on him. History will remember these maniacs.

Soe_Win.jpg

3 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Dangerous man, next he will choose to give Uighurs and Tibetans refugee status and endanger all the piles of Baht coming from the evil empire.

• Haha 1

Good Afternoon,

I fully open the door to Democracy , I see a lot people here questioning Thailand’s motive?? 
As for weaponry and wanted to buy newer technology, Thailands has decades old equipment it’s absolutely normal to be looking to purchase and of course a Junta would belly ache it’s a threat to there oppressive ways !!
Look at China ???????? And Russia ???????? Would you prefer there ways !!?? I think not !! That goes for Junta’s , Dictator’s and other Oppressors, WE DON’T WANT IT !! 

9 hours ago, webfact said:

Myanmar’s military government said this week that it would have to rethink its relationship with Thailand following statements made by the next prime minister-elect of Thailand following his election victory, according to local media

One country sorted out by it's people voice, if only Myanmar had a fair chance at the ballot box instead of life on the wrong end of a barrel.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, h90 said:

Thailand has a lot border trade with people on the other side...and these aren't the richest of the society.

The job of the government is to come along with the neighbors....not warmongering and being terrorists. No matter if the neighbor has a government they don't like.

Lao is communist dictatorship, Cambodia is not really democratic in Malaysia is the Sharia. Biggest trading partner is China a communist dictatorship, another big partner is USA, the worst warmonger and state terrorist on the planet. Should Thailand be hostile to all of them? Or rather be neutral and do business?

Thailands exports to Myanmar total approx. $4 billion (https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/exports/myanmar). Myanmar ranks 16th in the list of top Thailand export countries (https://tradingeconomics.com/thailand/exports-by-country) and although not insignificant, it doesn't even make the top 10 and is only 1.6% of Thailands total exports. The difference with the other 15 countries ahead of it though are none of them are currently committing genocide on their own people. This I would argue supercedes 1.6% of total exports - a fact many on this forum agree with and hopefully so does the new incoming PM.     

• Like 1

But of course. With China licking its chops in ousting Democracy from

Myanmar, Thailand will be the next domino, although that may take some'

time.  Any attempt to help the Resistance in Myanmar will not sit well with

them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1