Oil Slick Discovered on Jomtien Beach Causing Concern for Tourism

webfact

image.jpeg

CHONBURI: -- May 25, 2023, a group of bed umbrella operators in Jomtien, Moo 12, Nong Prue Subdistrict, Bang Lamung District, Chonburi Province, reported the presence of an oil slick floating in the nearby sea. Prompted by the alarming news, a reporter rushed to the area to conduct an inspection.

Upon arrival, it became evident that the sandy beach was marred by oil stains, and the sea within a radius of approximately 50 to 100 meters was also affected, emanating a foul odor, reported Siam Rath.

Mr. Madsa Ongart, a 62-year-old bed umbrella owner, shared his account of the incident. He explained that around 7 o'clock in the morning, as part of his regular routine, he began setting up the bed umbrellas for the day's service.

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

To his dismay, a strong smell of oil permeated the entire area, compelling him to investigate its source. As he approached the receding sea water, he discovered an oil slick floating on the surface.

The sandy beach was also tarnished by lingering oil stains. The severity of the oil odor has dissuaded tourists from venturing into the water, leading to a decline in swimming activities.

It is suspected that the oil contamination originated from either a large transport ship or an oil tanker, potentially due to an oil spill.

image.jpeg

Picture: Siam Rath

Consequently, Mr. Madsa Ongart urgently appealed to the authorities to intervene and rectify the situation. The initial response from the umbrella entrepreneurs was to refrain from opening their services, given the apprehension among tourists who are hesitant to swim in the affected area.

The discovery of the oil slick in Jomtien Beach has raised significant concerns, particularly for the local tourism industry.

Efforts are now underway to identify the responsible party and ensure appropriate measures are taken to address the oil spill and mitigate its impact on the environment.

Authorities are urged to expedite their response to contain the situation promptly and restore the pristine beauty of the beach, allowing tourists to once again enjoy the coastal offerings of Jomtien.

Top Picture: Siam Rath

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-05-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

7 hours ago, webfact said:

It is suspected that the oil contamination originated from either a large transport ship or an oil tanker, potentially due to an oil spill.

No sh*t Sherlock.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Brylcreem from silver surfer's probably ????

Black Brylcream... now that would have sold by the billions.

I fondly remember from my youth may father using that product, if I couldn't see him I damn sure knew where he was.

15 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I fondly remember from my youth may father using that product, if I couldn't see him I damn sure knew where he was.

I met a guy in Pattaya once, and his claim to fame was he did the old 'Brylcreem Bounce' TV advert..... more original than Special Forces. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I met a guy in Pattaya once, and his claim to fame was he did the old 'Brylcreem Bounce' TV advert..... more original than Special Forces. 

Better than the Brut aftershave lotion... jeez that stuff stung.

• Haha 1