Transferring money from overseas to Bangkok Bank (or any other)

Is there any complications encountered when money is transferred to a bank account in Thailand from overseas?

What are the limits, if any? (of course I am not referring to millions of $$$$)

It depends how much you send, sending over a certain amount (I am not sure about the amount) could incur delays both at the sending side and the receiving (Thailand) side.

I regularly send approximately 100K THB to my Thai BBL Bank account from my European Bank account via Wise and it’s usually there the following day at around 2pm. (Only if there are Thai Bank holidays then it will take longer to arrive)

Edited by MJCM
Typos
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

No problem sending 9,000 pounds from UK bank to Thai bank. 2 working days 20 quid fee. + 3-500b fee from Thai bank. Always send in home currency as better exchange rate at Thai bank for me.

Losing around 1100 Baht on the bottom line landing in your account than via Wise

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

Losing around 1100 Baht on the bottom line landing in your account than via Wise

2 hours ago, ravip said:

Is there any complications encountered

No complications though.. with large amounts with wise you lose a lot more init.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, brianthainess said:

No complications though.. with large amounts with wise you lose a lot more init.

No

In fact only a few days ago I did a sample comparison for somebody with £35,000

I sent £9,700 in GBP from Lloyds Bank yesterday afternoon UK time and it arrived in Bangkok Bank account today about 3pm Thai time. Total received (after any BKK Bank fees) was 409,144 THB. Rate worked out at 42.18 THB/GBP. Seems ok to me. The sending fee from Lloyds was £9.50 and I did it online (have regular payee setup). Very fast and easy. Wise rate right now is 42.93 THB/GBP however we needed the ease and availability of getting the Foreign Funds Receipt from the bank.

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ask you oversea bank what the correspondent bank in Thailand is and open an account there if possible. My European bank has the Bangkok Bank as such a bank. No fees for me and transfers are within hours.

I didn't know this at the beginning and had an account at Krungsri Pattaya. I transferred Euro to my Euro account there. The money went to a bank in New York, to the Bangkok Bank, to the Krungsri headquarter and from there to the Pattaya branch. I had a lot of fees ????. I made this mistake only 1 time. Now my accounts in foreign currencies are at the Bangkok Bank. I always change later here. 

And keep all the documents of the money transfer. Then it is easier to transfer money out of Thailand. 

• Thanks 1

Has anyone sent cash from Thailand back home using their Wise account, I can't see a straightforward way to do it via the app.

Also can I pay myself from my Thai bank to my overseas PayPal as an alternative to Wise?

I have a one-off expense in the motherland looming.

Thanks in advance. 

9 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

Ask you oversea bank what the correspondent bank in Thailand is and open an account there if possible. My European bank has the Bangkok Bank as such a bank. No fees for me and transfers are within hours.

I didn't know this at the beginning and had an account at Krungsri Pattaya. I transferred Euro to my Euro account there. The money went to a bank in New York, to the Bangkok Bank, to the Krungsri headquarter and from there to the Pattaya branch. I had a lot of fees ????. I made this mistake only 1 time. Now my accounts in foreign currencies are at the Bangkok Bank. I always change later here. 

And keep all the documents of the money transfer. Then it is easier to transfer money out of Thailand. 

I had a similar problem twice, sent money from OZ in $AUD was sent to a "Holding" bank bank of Thailand, next time to some other bank, it got ex-changed at their rate, after some phone calls to OZ, they told me to put on the 'instructions for bank'' DO NOT EXCHANGE FUNDS.. which i now do whether UK bank or OZ bank. never had that problem again. BKK were very helpful and had told me what had happened, they printed it off  the tracking from their computer . 

12 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Has anyone sent cash from Thailand back home using their Wise account, I can't see a straightforward way to do it via the app.

No the facility is not available with Wise

Not that I've used them but Dee Money seems to be a valid option