Facial recognition for Banking apps

Just  been to Bangkok Bank and had my photo taken apparently  for transfers over 50k. Now have to go to Krungsri to do the same. My Thai wife has 4 accounts with  Thai banks and hasn't been  notified by any of them.  My UK bank has also suggested I use facial recognition.

Krungsri says I need to  do this before next mth.

Does anyone know why they are doing this and if we will still receive OTPs or SMSs  as before? 

And of course  why Thai's  are exempt?

Quite why the BOT insists on forcing banks and their app developers to implement a highly technical security measure, which will obviously have lots of problems until they perfect it, when all the big tech phone manufacturers already have biometric security built in to their phones.

You can guarantee that the fingerprint scanners/faceID systems are way more secure, and reliable than what a thai bank will implement - based off a photo.

Couldnt they just force the app to require biometrics for any transfer - in fact my Kplus already does to open the app, and then also asks for a PIN for any transfer.

????‍♂️

Edited by Sigma6
spelling

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Is it necessary for large INCOMING transfers?

No, only for outgoing transfers over 50K, for example paying a bill with QR code or transfer to another account 

Too many people getting scammed out if their money by fake call centers then complaining and asking the bank for their money back.

This measure protects the banks as much as the customers.

This technology is not new. If you want to register a Thsi telephone sim card online you have to have your face recorded as it moves.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, blackcab said:

Too many people getting scammed out if their money by fake call centers then complaining and asking the bank for their money back.

This measure protects the banks as much as the customers.

This technology is not new. If you want to register a Thsi telephone sim card online you have to have your face recorded as it moves.

But how are they going to implement this when you transfer money via a PC?

Everybody needs to buy a webcam? :thumbsup:

Edited by MJCM
Added some extra linebreaks

24 minutes ago, Sigma6 said:

You can guarantee that the fingerprint scanners/faceID systems are way more secure, and reliable than what a thai bank will implement - based off a photo.

Couldnt they just force the app to require biometrics for any transfer - in fact my Kplus already does to open the app, and then also asks for a PIN for any transfer.

????‍♂️

I guess they want a mug shot of people who shift money around. It's not just about verification and safety. Anyway, one more safety layer doesn't bother me, provided of course the system doesn't malfunction.

By the way, why don't EU banks use fingerprints and face recognition instead of TANs and PHOTO-TANs with which so many things can go wrong and lock you out of your account for weeks? Probably because of crappy data protection laws. Data protection laws protect nothing at all, they just f..k up people's lives.

Edited by JackGats

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

But how are they going to implement this when you transfer money via a PC? Everybody needs to buy a webcam? :thumbsup:

most have it already build in , even tablets

EDIT , sorry i did not noticed  about PC

Edited by david555

2 minutes ago, david555 said:

most have it already build in , even tablets

EDIT , sorry i did not noticed  about PC

No worries, I added some line breaks plus made PC bold to make it a bit more clearer

2 hours ago, david555 said:

KK message when checking in settings :

"facial verification with bank is only for Thai customors "

So no worry"s by  KK ????

No I believe it's for everyone and must be done before 27th of June per messages I've gotten from the banks    there is so e bad translation of the requirements iveseen also  

I made a rare appearance at my bank, Krungsri Head Office in Bangkok at the end of April to collect my bank letter for IMM, and was asked to do the facial recognition. Three attempts by 2 staff, and they couldn't get the machine to work. Wasted about half an hour, on top of the inordinate length of time to collect a preordered letter.

What could possibly go wrong with this?

Edited by samtam
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Dan O said:

No I believe it's for everyone and must be done before 27th of June per messages I've gotten from the banks    there is so e bad translation of the requirements iveseen also  

I just opened Kk mobile ,opened settings and scroll down and choose Facial etc. And you get the message " only for Thai.

So phone Kk and tell them your solution as they are wrong ???? ...

Edited by david555

25 minutes ago, Dan O said:

No I believe it's for everyone and must be done before 27th of June per messages I've gotten from the banks 

I don't think that any bank has stated officially that it has to be done by 23rd June, I think that they're all just saying that facial recognition starts on 23rd June.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I don't think that any bank has stated officially that it has to be done by 23rd June, I think that they're all just saying that facial recognition starts on 23rd June.

Krungsri has as I was receiving notices with the date of June 27 each time I logged on via the phone app. I've already gone and gotten my pic done last week. They copied my data page of my passport, my savings account book and took the facial pic.

There was no real explanation other than it had to be done

3 hours ago, david555 said:

I just opened Kk mobile ,opened settings and scroll down and choose Facial etc. And you get the message " only for Thai.

I'm not your secretary so I don't need to do your work. It's your bank so you should deal with it. Your settings for facial recognition are probably similar to whether you want a finger print for log in and has nothing to do with the new requirements being rolled out. 

14 hours ago, Dan O said:
17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Expand  

Krungsri has as I was receiving notices with the date of June 27 each time I logged on via the phone app.

I know, I've still got the Krungsri notice on my app and it does not state that registering one's photo with them has to be done by 23rd June, it says that the facial recognition process starts on 23rd June.

18 hours ago, david555 said:

I think what will happen is that the new system won’t work unless you have a Thai national ID card, such that “farangs” won’t be able to transfer more than 50k baht at a time from their phones.

I would be happy to be wrong about that prediction but I am pessimistic. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I know, I've still got the Krungsri notice on my app and it does not state that registering one's photo with them has to be done by 23rd June, it says that the facial recognition process starts on 23rd June.

Your idea of what the message means is slightly different than mine. You have to do it before they can start so here is the message:

If you haven't had your photo taken with us, please visit any Krungsri Bank branch with your ID card/passport (for foreigners) to register your face for identity verification in KMA starting from 27 June 2023 when transferring money 50,000 Baht or more per transaction and cumulative transfers of 200,000 Baht/day. 

Just now, Dan O said:

Your idea of what the message means is slightly different than mine. You have to do it before they can start so here is the message:

If you haven't had your photo taken with us, please visit any Krungsri Bank branch with your ID card/passport (for foreigners) to register your face for identity verification in KMA starting from 27 June 2023 when transferring money 50,000 Baht or more per transaction and cumulative transfers of 200,000 Baht/day. 

Yes, that's right, it has to be done before +50k transfers can be made and that procedure starts on 23rd June, there is not a deadline of 23rd June for the photo to be taken as you stated, that can be done anytime.