3 Months as Tourist in TH in 1 Stretch – Visa Questions

Hello, starting around November 2023 I would like to stay in Thailand as a tourist 3 months in a go. I'm EU-citizen, above 50, healthy, health-insured internationally. I don't like visa runs.

1) Plan 1: 2 Months + 1 Month

So my Plan 1 is:

1. before traveling, apply online für a TR visa for 2 months (already done 1 time before)

2. in country, get extension for another month from Thai Immigration office upcountry for 1900 THB (already done several times)

Is that a good/the best solution? I need it completely stressfree and legal.

2) Plan 2: Get 3 Months in 1 Stretch?

Or could i get 3 months in 1 stretch without the necessity to extend in-country? I am confused here. What about Non-Immigrant Visa O-A "for applicants aged 50 and over who wish to stay in Thailand for an extended period without the intention of working".

Do I need a health certificate from GP? (I'm healthy, but the GP makes me sick.)

Do i need a paper from my health insurance?

Source:

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/84508-non-immigrant-visas

Is a solution for 3 months in 1 stretch more costly than 2 months + 1 month extension? I might choose the 3 months in 1 stretch anyway to spare me the hassle of visiting an immigration office in TH.

3) Working in TH for EU customers:

In TH, i'd do a bit of computer work for EU customers (as done before, as digital nomads do). Is that officially ok? I don't work for Thai customers, for Thai money, I don't do any journalism, blogging, vlogging, commercial photography, influencing (Thai-related or not) etc.

4) Departure Ticket:

Personally i only need a one-way ticket into Thailand. My real return ticket I would buy 2 days before flying out.

But to apply online for a TR visa, i think i need to upload a departure ticket? For that, I would buy a cheap ticket like BKK-Cambodia with Air Asia, just for presentation purposes. Should this flight be timed for 58 days after entering Thailand? (1)

I would not fly on this cheap no-show-ticket, because i want to stay longer in Thailand.

But then after say 58 days I don't fly out, but I visit Thai Immigration (somewhere upcountry, not Pattaya, Phuket, Bkk, Samui, Chiang Mai; I speak some Thai). I wouldn't have a departure ticket valid say 88 days after entering Thailand. Is that a problem? If I extend the visa for one month for 1900 THB, do I need to show a valid departure ticket? I did this extension for 1900 THB several times before, but don't remember the question for a departure ticket. But one time they asked for my next hotel bookings and admonished me not to work in TH.

Your take? Thanks!

(1) Sometimes online services for "renting", "sharing" or "generating" onward tickets are suggested. I won't use them.  

1) Plan 1: 2 Months + 1 Month > 

Yes, applying for a 60-day Tourist Visa and extending for 30-days at at local Thai Imm Office is probably the easiest option to stay 90 days in Thailand without having to do a border-run. 

2) Plan 2: Get 3 Months in 1 Stretch?

You could also apply for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (when over 50 years of age).  You would have to balance the convenience of Plan 1 vs Plan 2 based on the requirements for the 60-day Tourist Visa vs the 90-day Non Imm O Visa. 

Note that applying for the 30-day extension can only be done for the Tourist Visa and not for the Non Imm O Visa, and such 30-day extension application is a quick and easy process which can be done at any Thai Imm Office (1.900,- THB and delivered on the spot).

3) Working in TH for EU customers:

No problem doing on-line work for Non-Thai customers during those 90 days, but do keep low-profile.  

4) Departure Ticket: 

Yes, unless the requirements to apply for a Tourist Visa explicitly require a return-flight, your plan to provide a cheap 'throw away' outward bound ticket on day 58 would be fully OK, when an outward bound flight is required. 

And you can indeed book the one-way return flight when in Thailand. But do check beforehand whether it would not be cheaper to buy the return-flight rather than buying 2 single one-way flights.

You would also need to make a Hotel-booking for the first 1-2 days on arrival in Thailand.  By using a site like booking.com you can search for Hotels that allow free cancellation up till day of arrival, when you have alternative plans for lodging.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you take Option 1), Immigration will not require an onward flight reservation when you apply for the 30-day extension.

As far as your question 3) is concerned, according to the letter of the law, it is not theoretically allowed. However, it is 100% tolerated as long as your work has zero relationship with a Thai employer or Thai customers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, henrik2000 said:

What's that, a proof i'm registered with a hotel?

More or less. The TM30 notification reports that a foreigner is staying at a particular address for 24 hours or more. The hotel or occupier of a property is obligated by law to submit this. If staying in a hotel, ask them for a receipt confirming that it has been done, and take it with you to Immigration.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, henrik2000 said:

Red Phoenix and Dr Jack, thanks for good details!

What's that, a proof i'm registered with a hotel?

To apply for extension to a tourist visa generally the immigration office will require proof that you are living in that province.

When you check into a hotel, they by law they make a report.

It's referred to as a TM30.

Ask hotel if they will do that and can provide you with screenshot of that.

That will satisfy immigration for 30 day extension. 

• Like 1

I've done four or five extensions over the years and used all three offices on Phuket, the latest in February 2023. I've NEVER been asked for a TM30 and assumed that the IO simply looks it up on their computer as my hotel/landlord has declared me online.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Tim and Jack, thanks for clarifying TM30!

If you say screenshot - sounds like i could show it to Immigration from my phone? Even photograph it off their screens?

The Hotel that notifies the Imm Office that you are staying there, will do this by issuing a TM-30 on-line.  And so they will make a print-out of the notification when a hotel-guest requests this (and it is required by the Imm Office when applying for the 30-day extension as proof of the address where you are staying).

Edited by Red Phoenix

19 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

If you say screenshot - sounds like i could show it to Immigration from my phone? Even photograph it off their screens?

No..

Take a print out (hard copy) .

Your hotel can provide that. 

21 hours ago, henrik2000 said:

Unfortunately not, immigration offices like paper. Lots of paper. They aren't usually satisfied with anything you show them on your phone and might well send you away to print it.

• Thumbs Up 1