Samut Prakarn immigration of hell - change to retirement visa almost made impossible

You could try to complain to her boss, but, that may end badly.

Here are some questions to ask yourself: 

How much time you got left on your current stamp? 

Can you move provinces in that time?

Can you get a visa exempt entry by flying to anywhere nearby and returning, then move to another province?

Note you MUST enter the other country by their immigration channels not just sit in a transit lounge. It can be a same day return, no worries there. 

Can you go to Savannakhet and get a tourist visa, then use that time to move to another province? 

After all you've no kids.  

If you move to the other province, for goodness sake, do your TM 30 THERE within 24 Hours of flying back, try to arrange a new address before hand. At a pinch a hotel will do. I'd recommend Chiang Mai, because AIRPORT!

You can figure out the smoke season problem later, in all other respects it's a great place to live, we just go to the beach for the worst of the smoke, it's cheap if you keep away from tourist traps. 

You must do this new location TM30 immediately, because if you don't, when you go for your retirement visa exemption, they'll send you back to evil lady all over again. 

Note also that your "dad" visa extension becomes void once you depart, so you won't need a re entry permit. But they'll still ask you why you're at their office when they see your old stamps. 

Be clear they know you've moved away from your old place because, no kids. 

I know you may love your home, but this is Thailand as you understand, and sometimes, walking away from an impossible situation is the easiest way in the long term. 

I wish you all the best.

And there is always a solution. 

On Facebook there's a group called Thai Visa Advice, no connection to ASEAN now, and they are very very good at tricky situations like this. It's the private group with 51K members, not the imitation group of the same name. Just join up, and ask them, it's free. 

Chok Dee 

PS: You can register at a new province, and then return to your home while you move, it's not strictly by the book, but the risks are low if you keep away from the authorities, IE drive safely don't get drunk and arrested etc! How long till you have to leave the house? These are questions from you to consider, please don't reply to me because I'm only helping from my personal experience moving provinces and changing visa status at the same time. Just remember everything hangs on where you do your next address notification. Don't mess that up!

Edited by chalawaan
New info.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, john donson said:

So what where all my bank deposit, tabien baan copies for ???

Did you have those documents prepared along with an updated bank statement, along with the documentation letter? Its not clear from your post to me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

Mrs rings the boss up and he has been very helpful when I have had the odd problem with them. I got refused an extension once there on the basis that they did not do them, despite having the forms to fill out and a big sign outside saying they did, that was a woman, long retired, she told me to go to Bangkok Immigration, despite not living in Bkk. 

Can you give us a clue to her name? Got to go next week for an extension, probably be a discussion about the TM30 nonsense again!

10 hours ago, john donson said:

I complained to her boss, a few years ago, till, so was been told, they were about to throw me out of the office, while I insisted they help me sort this out as I was the only care giver for my children at that time, but did not bother them at all.

so for complaining to the boss, they are part of this big ... let's not get sued and use names that could be libel...

for the replies: I had all the documents as I always do, what is not clear? everything needed for a retirement visa and even more like documents of children's id card, tabien baan, birth certificate, pictures of them in school uniform in front of school logo (they tried to pull that one a few years ago, but had one on my phone but where is that listed on any immigration website), proof of payment of school, ...    where does it state you need all that info on a retirement visa ??? NOWHERE is for sure.... tricks to force you to use on of them connected agents.

While I was waiting for ZERO people waiting before me for 75 minutes , there were some agents with no documentation and a stack of passports going in and out in a few minutes...

13 counters to help but only a few really working... doing nothing at all... nice job...

most of them over there HARDLY speak any UNDERSTANDABLE English... the times I went there with my kids, they spoke to them instead of me, the adult parent...

suggesting I change province because of some corrupted evil IO ?

someone saying I have no kids?  what ? they are on holiday ... but I explained to them they will not be back before my extension expire...

you did read the title ...  almost ...

Only after I threaten to call the higher up, evil IO disappeared for some time, made me wait another 90 minutes before I got my extension... wanting to see my bankbook again, while I made copies and for the bank letters, stating 800k for 3 months and another 6 month statement from the bank

so with all documents, the magical in and out in 30 min as some other posters write, did not happen and spend 3 hours to what was supposed to be an easier option then parent of thai child, which initially was denied by same evil woman years ago, with all needed documentation presented...

to end the story... she told me, next year you leave thailand...

which I replied with... no I will be back, as I will have a few remaining months left before my child turns 20...

but let me guess, there will be a problem that I don't have a 12 month rental contract left, once again...  

the arrogance and incompetence and abuse of these people given little power...

Having the cash in the bank for three months when it should only be two is something they have insisted on. Poster last year said he was denied an extension as only had the money in for two months, he had been doing extensions there over ten years. I always make sure it's in for three, give them as few reasons to catch you out as possible. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Caldera said:

It's not unusual for immigration to demand to see your wife (if currently on marriage extension) or child one last time when making that change to retirement extension.

It's BS though, right?

8 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

The reason Imm Offices often require that your wife is accompagning you when changing your Visa for reason of marriage to reason of retirement, is to ensure that your wife is aware of the change (as it might be the early forbode of you wanting to divorce her). 

Like I said, BS.

45 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

#2 - An even easier alternative is making use of a Visa Agent.

Do you have contact details of agents who are confirmed to provide handholding service for Samut Prakan office?

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I did a quick Google search, and this Samut Prakan based Visa Agent turned up.

https://thaivisacentre.com/

and also on Facebook >

https://web.facebook.com/thaivisacentre/?_rdc=1&_rdr

= = =

Thanks but I was looking for actual experience rather than a Google search. Asking for a friend who has a low tolerance for dealing with the Thai runaround. He contacted Thai Visa Centre earlier in the year but they couldn't help him.

3 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I find it always helps to go to immigration offices without the attitude for a stress free and productive day.

I agree that your attitude often turns out to be a 'self-fulfilling prophecy' for what you encounter. 

But in this case John had already a history of unpleasant exchanges with that Imm Office lady and I can fully understand his anger and frustration with the 'service' they provide. 

32 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Thanks but I was looking for actual experience rather than a Google search. Asking for a friend who has a low tolerance for dealing with the Thai runaround. He contacted Thai Visa Centre earlier in the year but they couldn't help him.

I never used an Agent and am not living in the Bangkok area, so I cannot speak from experience, but hopefully AN-members reading this thread might provide the contact-details of bona-fide Visa Agents serving customers dealing with the Samut Prakan Imm office.

Edited by Red Phoenix

33 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I find it always helps to go to immigration offices without the attitude for a stress free and productive day.

I always find a stiff drink and a valium or tramadol helps a lot ????

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I've used them and very satisfied an the best price around ( if your not in Pattaya)
my extension is issued elsewhere
but no problem filing a tm 30 back in Phuket  ????

Edited by zzzzz
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, john donson said:

to end the story... she told me, next year you leave thailand...

That's tantamount to saying "I will f@#k you over this time next year."

The OP says he has a lawyer. Is he any good? I believe there was a hotline to complain about corruption but not sure if they consider cases of willful harassment.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, zzzzz said:

I've used them and very satisfied an the best price around ( if your not in Pattaya)

Except that they don't service the SP office and if you want the Full Monty they send your passport to Lord only knows where! ????

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

The reason Imm Offices often require that your wife is accompagning you when changing your Visa for reason of marriage to reason of retirement, is to ensure that your wife is aware of the change (as it might be the early forbode of you wanting to divorce her). 

Obviously one could always exit Thailand without a Re-Entry Permit, which would void the current Permit to stay, and then apply again for the reason of your choice.

So these Immigration Officers are fronting marriage advice bureaus?

Sounds like this Samut Prakan harridan hasn't been married.

• Confused 1