Top 99 Reasons Why Being Over Age 70 Rules!

I don't get it. Should I read something between the lines? There is not a single thing good about being over 70, over 60, over 50 or over 40. I am about to turn 50 and I feel like my body is slowly but surely giving up on me. 

Yes, I have days when I feel great and the first thing I want to do it put a great essay on AseanNow, how my life is great, how well I am doing with this and that, but it is all a big lie to cover the inevitable Farang aging process. 

Surely enough, there will be a few of you about to post to speak for myself ????

3 hours ago, bignok said:

Give me 1 good hard cover book over a tablet. Give me real face to face culture over facebook fakes anyday.

The internet is great for banking or booking a flight or hotel but it has destroyed culture.

That nice new shiny hard cover book is probably emitting chemicals such as formaldehyde for you to breathe. And costing you a bundle compared to the digital version.

As for the internet, it is obvious you have not looked. I can go on YouTube and watch Miah Persson singing Mozart's Kyrie Eleison, or listen to Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor. Or see Mikhail Baryshnikov dancing in his prime. There are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of excellent interpretations of the classics.

Destroyed culture? IMO the internet has put culture within the reach of everyone.

Edited by Lacessit

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

That nice new shiny hard cover book is probably emitting chemicals such as formaldehyde for you to breathe. And costing you a bundle compared to the digital version.

As for the internet, it is obvious you have not looked. I can go on YouTube and watch Miah Persson singing Mozart's Kyrie Eleison, or listen to Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor. Or see Mikhail Baryshnikov dancing in his prime. There are thousands if not hundreds of thousands of excellent interpretations of the classics.

Destroyed culture? IMO the internet has put culture within the reach of everyone.

Again, with the Toccata. 

You have taste. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Three 

Tree 

It just sounds better. 

In the trees opposite our house lives a family of Tree Shrews . Whatever they are called in Thai must be easier to say than Tree Shrews after a couple of drinks.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Vinyl sounds better than any speaker on your phone. There is a book called The Paradox of Choice. So many choices but it is a computer version of it. Vinyl or a live performance is miles ahead of youtube. Yes culture is now a phone. 99% of people looking at phones all day long. Depression rates galore despite all the tech and meds.

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

I don't get it. Should I read something between the lines? There is not a single thing good about being over 70, over 60, over 50 or over 40. I am about to turn 50 and I feel like my body is slowly but surely giving up on me. 

Yes, I have days when I feel great and the first thing I want to do it put a great essay on AseanNow, how my life is great, how well I am doing with this and that, but it is all a big lie to cover the inevitable Farang aging process. 

Surely enough, there will be a few of you about to post to speak for myself ????

The only age you control is your current age. There are people in their 70s who are fitter than 35yos. So look into supplements, meditation, exercise and diet. I'm fitter now than 10 years ago. It is possible to rip it up until you are 85yo.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Somehow, I cannot imagine you ever being bored if you pursue some of the topics you have mentioned. Maxwell, and his freeze-dried coffee, for example. 

Funny.

I know you're well read enough to know James Clerk Maxwell.

Do you know he used just mathematics to determine the structure of the rings of Saturn?

When we have a quiet Saturday afternoon we might reread The Power and the Glory, or watch Peaky Blinders. Maxwell took quill and paper and figured out what makes the rings.

Yes, there is no reason in this modern world to ever be bored, unless by choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, bignok said:

Vinyl sounds better than any speaker on your phone. There is a book called The Paradox of Choice. So many choices but it is a computer version of it. Vinyl or a live performance is miles ahead of youtube. Yes culture is now a phone. 99% of people looking at phones all day long. Depression rates galore despite all the tech and meds.

As old as you are, do you even know the highest audio frequency detectable by your old ears? 

My guess is that you top out at about 8k.

30 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Funny.

I know you're well read enough to know James Clerk Maxwell.

Do you know he used just mathematics to determine the structure of the rings of Saturn?

When we have a quiet Saturday afternoon we might reread The Power and the Glory, or watch Peaky Blinders. Maxwell took quill and paper and figured out what makes the rings.

Yes, there is no reason in this modern world to ever be bored, unless by choice.

Would you care to derive his equazions, here, for all to behold? 

Do it freehand, without reference, and from memory, if Ye shall be so bold. 

30 minutes ago, bignok said:

It only takes a couple of scratches on vinyl to convert any music to garbage. It happens every time the needle is lowered. As for live performances in a concert hall, they are expensive even when sitting in the back rows. I can do just as well for free, with my desktop for visuals, and smartphone combined with Bluetooth earbuds for audio.

If you enjoy spending good money on traditional systems, your choice. It's a bit like those people who prefer driving 1960's death-trap sports cars over modern vehicles that are safer, quicker, more reliable and more comfortable.

I stopped taking anti-depressant meds more than 10 years ago, and I find advances in technology exhilarating.

Duc, sequi, aut ad via decede.

Reason No. 9:

When you get old, it matters less what headphones you use.

Your ears are so old, you cannot really hear the sound of escalators, either.

I have two pair of these:

image.thumb.jpeg.5d2382d3b7c6992bdbfb1f07b26a5dee.jpeg

But would it matter if I had far less?

These are only middle of the road in price.

Yet, guys over 70 still waste money buying stuff they truly cannot hear.

It's a JOKE, Man!

It's like some old dodger buying a sports car....LAUGHABLE, really.

When I was 55 years younger, I could have used just one pair of these.

Now, I just use them to keep the roosters from disturbing me.

Someday, hopefully soon, even the roosters I will not be able to hear, which will be REASON No. 10, why  being over 70 has its advantages.

Edited by GammaGlobulin

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Joking aside, however, the older I get, and the more I become acquainted with Mankind, the less worry I am about seeing the end of Organized Human Civilization. 

I'm looking forward to 60, when I can stop working and all kids educated.

Yes, the older I get, the nearer death, so less worry about it. 

It's all an illusion anyway, that's becoming clearer to me.

Speaking of the high frequency escalator sound that you might recall hearing when you were young:

Fortunately, when we go to the mall, we no longer need to be bothered by this.

The high-frequency escalator sound used to freak me out when I was young.

Nobody else could hear this high frequency, except, maybe, for the dogs standing outside the mall.

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Speaking of the high frequency escalator sound that you might recall hearing when you were young:

Fortunately, when we go to the mall, we no longer need to be bothered by this.

The high-frequency escalator sound used to freak me out when I was young.

Nobody else could hear this high frequency, except, maybe, for the dogs standing outside the mall.

Can't hear it. 

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Nobody of importance will see your passport photo. 

Have you ever tried to date the immigration girl who checks your passport? 

If you really want to date an immigration officer, the girls in Hong Kong are stunning with their pale green shirts and dark epaulets. All those girls are tri-lingual! 

It's not about other people seeing it, I don't care what they think as I don't date. It's the shock I get when I see it.

Two of my favorite quotes about aging. 

Older people are perceived as cynics and misanthropes. But, they are simply people who have at last heard the still, sad music of humanity, played by a mediocre rock band howling for fame. 

The young gal asked what are you most afraid of? 
That because the last thing in the world I want to do is tweet or update my Facebook status the soul of youth will vomit me into the cesspool of the old and the worthless.

I've been there, turning seventy, taking solace in my lost libido, relishing relaxation without angst.  Those were the days.  Then she appeared and bid me into her life.  I couldn't turn away for days, then weeks and months.  Now ten years later I am enjoying my eighties more than any other time.  Lost weight, look younger, returned to need, and great satisfaction.

10 minutes ago, habuspasha said:

I've been there, turning seventy, taking solace in my lost libido, relishing relaxation without angst.  Those were the days.  Then she appeared and bid me into her life.  I couldn't turn away for days, then weeks and months.  Now ten years later I am enjoying my eighties more than any other time.  Lost weight, look younger, returned to need, and great satisfaction.

Hunger is a state of mind, obviously.