Doctor for on going Medication

Alphim

Good day, I need to find a doctor who will prescribe for me blood pressure medication.

I have some left over from my home country but the pharmacies I've don't stock anything life the stuff I have.

I think it best if I see a local doctor and he can prescribe what I need. I just have to find a doctor. I would appreciate if somebody please help.

I am in Khan Na Yao off Rachada-Ramintra Road.

Thank you.

Most prescription medicines here are based on what is cheapest for the government hospitals to give to Thai patients.

That does not necessarily mean they are inferior.

You can always go to a private hospital for initial assessment, although hospital pharmacies are more expensive. Generic blood pressure medications are usually available without prescription over the counter.

A doctor at a provincial hospital prescribed Losartan for me in place of the Co-Diovan I was taking in Australia.

A lot cheaper, and just as effective.

That was before I discovered I seldom needed BP medication at all, via diet and exercise.

You do not need a prescription for blood pressure medication in Thailand.  You can buy at a pharmacy over the counter.

But local brand names may differ from what you are used to. Please list the names of the medications so I can advise specifically.

Also you will need to go to a large Thai pharmacy. Not a Boots or Watsons or small pharmacy.

18 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You do not need a prescription for blood pressure medication in Thailand.  You can buy at a pharmacy over the counter.

But local brand names may differ from what you are used to. Please list the names of the medications so I can advise specifically.

Also you will need to go to a large Thai pharmacy. Not a Boots or Watsons or small pharmacy.

Thank you, any advice you can give will be appreciated. Medication is from South Africa

I had Losaar Plus 100/25. Then change of doctor put me on Pendine 5mg. I don't know why the change, both did the job.

If possible please let me know about large Thai pharmacies. Perhaps in the Min Buri area 

18 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

What meds are you on ?

If not available OTC a generic alternative will be.

Thank you. Medication is Losaar 100/25. A change of doctor, for some unexplained reason prescribed me Pendine 5mg. Both worked fine,

1 hour ago, Alphim said:

Pendine 5mg

Seems to be a South African(?) brand name.

What I find:

The active ingredient is amlodipine besilate. PENDINE 5: Each tablet contains amlodipine besilate equivalent to 5 mg amlodipine. PENDINE 10: Each tablet contains amlodipine besilate equivalent to 10 mg amlodipine.

And Amlodipine is about the most trivial stuff that every pharmacy that earns the name will have. I buy in boxes of 100 for my wife (Amlodipine 5 mg).

• Like 1

It's produced by Berlin Pharmaceutical.

Yes a surprising for a company in Bangkok.

It's available with 5 or 10 mg. Dirt cheap. 100 tablets for 350 Baht or so.

image.png.9920358b09dfc5d5018345c66a4e2c79.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 minute ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes it's a company in Bangkok.

It's available with 5 or 10 mg. Dirt cheap. 100 tablets for 350 or so.

Sounds great. Is this the equivalent of Pendine 5mg? Where d you buy yours, do most stock it?

9 minutes ago, Alphim said:

Sounds great. Is this the equivalent of Pendine 5mg? Where d you buy yours, do most stock it?

Yes I thoroughly checked with data available on the net. The "Pendine" name is not too widespread (South Africa?) but there is close to no margin for error.

I buy at a major pharmacy in our district town.

And as written it's very trivial and widely used stuff sold over the counter.

Show the picture to the pharmacist.

Do you still have a package or description sheet of your "Pendine".

Never wrong to take it with you.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes a surprising for a company in Bangkok.

It's available with 5 or 10 mg. Dirt cheap. 100 tablets for 350 Baht or so.

Bht 240 for 100 at my local pharmacy, Bht 200 at local govt hospital.

1. Losar Plus 100/25 is a mixture of:

• Losaratn 100 mg
  • Hydrochlorthiazide (HCTZ) 25 mg

You can get this in Thailand under brand name Fortzaar but it is an expensive import. You can save a lot of money by instead buying losartan and hydrochlorthiazide separately. There are a number of locally made brands of Losartan: Losartan GPO, Loranta, and Lanzaar being the most common local brands. careful on the dosage as it comes in both 50 and 100mg tabs.  It is nto at all hard to find, your problem was asking by foreign brand name.

Hydrochlorthiazide I think comes only as GPO brand and costs next to nothing but only large pharmacies carry it.

2. Pendine 5 as others said is Amlodopine.  There are too many local brands of this to even list. Just ask for "amlodopine 5 mg", Thai brand. Every pharmacy has it, even very small ones  (though Boots and Watsons may only have expensive imported brand).

You'll want either #1 or #2 not both.

As for pharmacies, I can't say for Minburi area but some  good ones for local generics further into the city are:

• Por Bor Pesat pharmacy on Sukhumvit 71, Klong Tan, at the intersection with Petchabury/Pattanahkhan Rd's, even soi side..the very last storefront before the intersection.Their prices are so low there is usually a line and they have a queue numbering system.  Worth the trip is you have a large quantity to buy. 
  •  Roong Rote Pharmacy (รุ่งโรจน์เภสัช).Soi On-Nut (Sukhumvit Soi 77), away from Sukhumvit Road, about 40m into the soi coming from Sukhumvit on right side. Large stock of reasonably priced generics. Theer are also 2-3 other pharmacies right near it. Accessible from BTS OnNut station.
  • Sukhumvit near Soi 2, large pharmacy sort of across from the expressway entrance.
  • Rama 4, north side between Lumphini and Klong Toey MRT stations, near the footbridge.
  • Wholesale pharmacy on Pradiprat Road, just a short distance from Huay Kwang BTS, and on the Pradiprat portion opposite of Big C.  Walking from the main intersection, the pharmacy is located about 60 meters on the left.
  • S.C. Drug Store on Rama IV between Surawong and Silom

There are also a number of pharmacies on Ratchawithi near Victory Monument (east of the Monument, opposite the hospital).

You might also just try inputting your address in Google maps and then looking for nearby pharmacies but as mentioned avoid Boots and Watsons. They usually won't have HTZ and their brands of amlodopine and losartan will be more costly.

Or if you prefer just order online from one of these:

1. https://medtide.com/

They have all the above drugs. You have to create an account first then searcjh.

2. https://medisafepharma.com/

probably has all of it but you have to use the Messenger chat to ask them. Online search doesn't work

3. https://bangkokdrugstore.com/?s=amlodipine

https://bangkokdrugstore.com/?s=losartan

they do not have HTZ but do have the Fortzaaz combo pill if you don't mind the added cost

All 3 of these places are reliable and prompt.

For future reference never ask for a foreign brand name in a different country. Ask by the chemical (generic) name. It will show ion the package right below the brand name.

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

• Losaratn 100 mg

You can get this in Thailand under brand name Fortzaar but it is an expensive import. You can save a lot of money by instead buying losartan and hydrochlorthiazide separately. There are a number of locally made brands of Losartan: Losartan GPO, Loranta, and Lanzaar being the most common local brands. careful on the dosage as it comes in both 50 and 100mg tabs.  It is nto at all hard to find, your problem was asking by foreign brand name.

Hydrochlorthiazide I think comes only as GPO brand and costs next to nothing but only large pharmacies carry it.

2. Pendine 5 as others said is Amlodopine.  There are too many local brands of this to even list. Just ask for "amlodopine 5 mg", Thai brand. Every pharmacy has it, even very small ones  (though Boots and Watsons may only have expensive imported brand).

As for pharmacies, I can't say for Minburi area but some  good ones for local generics further into the city are:

• Por Bor Pesat pharmacy on Sukhumvit 71, Klong Tan, at the intersection with Petchabury/Pattanahkhan Rd's, even soi side..the very last storefront before the intersection.Their prices are so low there is usually a line and they have a queue numbering system.  Worth the trip is you have a large quantity to buy. 
  •  Roong Rote Pharmacy (รุ่งโรจน์เภสัช).Soi On-Nut (Sukhumvit Soi 77), away from Sukhumvit Road, about 40m into the soi coming from Sukhumvit on right side. Large stock of reasonably priced generics. Theer are also 2-3 other pharmacies right near it. Accessible from BTS OnNut station.
  • Sukhumvit near Soi 2, large pharmacy sort of across from the expressway entrance.
  • Rama 4, north side between Lumphini and Klong Toey MRT stations, near the footbridge.
  • Wholesale pharmacy on Pradiprat Road, just a short distance from Huay Kwang BTS, and on the Pradiprat portion opposite of Big C.  Walking from the main intersection, the pharmacy is located about 60 meters on the left.

There are also a number of pharmacies on Ratchawithi near Victory Monument (east of the Monument, opposite the hospital).

You might also just try inputting your address in Google maps and then looking for nearby pharmacies but as mentioned avoid Boots and Watsons. They usually won't have HTZ and their brands of amlodopine and losartan will be more costly.

They have all the above drugs. You have to create an account first then searcjh.

probably has all of it but you have to use the Messenger chat to ask them. Online search doesn't work

they do not have HTZ but do have the Fortzaaz combo pill if you don't mind the added cost

For future reference never ask for a foreign brand name in a different country. Ask by the chemical (generic) name. It will show ion the package right below the brand name.

Thank you very much Sheryl

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

• Losaratn 100 mg

Thank you very much Sheryl. I will try for the Amlodopine as Pendine 5 was the last one prescribed for me. Again, many thanks,

Losaar Plus combines losartan and hydrochlorothiazide in a single pill. Both losartan and hydrochlorothiazide are commonly available and sold over the counter in Thailand, although they may not be found together in the same pill for your convenience.

On 6/1/2023 at 10:16 AM, PPMMUU said:

Losaar Plus combines losartan and hydrochlorothiazide in a single pill. Both losartan and hydrochlorothiazide are commonly available and sold over the counter in Thailand, although they may not be found together in the same pill for your convenience.

Thank you. I contacted my doctor in S.A with the information from other people. 

He has advised going for Amlodipine 5mg.