Trump Calls On DeSantis To Stop 'Woke' Disney In Flip-Flop On Feud

onthedarkside

41 minutes ago, James105 said:

If I defended the bill you would no doubt complain that it is off topic.   So I didn't.    

However, if you insist.   The bill in question mentioned in the OP was designed to prevent teachers or 3rd parties talking about sexual orientation and gender identities to kindergarten through grade 3 kids (5-9 year olds) and defer this topic to a more age appropriate time.   I don't really think there is much to defend about that bill as most non pedophiliacs of rational mind would consider that safeguarding kids of that age from sexual literature or discussion is not really that controversial.  

A law to combat a crime that may potentially happen one day. Or perhaps not.

14 hours ago, James105 said:

Once again, I didn't use the word woke (I used political) but a visual representation of just how divisive they are nowadays can be easily seen by looking at the IMBD ratings for their latest remake of a classic property (Little Mermaid) that has been put through the diversity blender:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5971474/ratings/?ref_=tt_ov_rt

If I was a shareholder of Disney I would not be best pleased about this as it is so easily avoidable by simply steering clear of politics, sticking close to the source material (if remaking something people previously loved) and creating new stories that include diverse characters if they want to increase representation.   

image.png.5104586fb03ecd9337c7d84c953f775e.png

So, having a black character in a cartoon is “divisive” and “political”? People can still watch the old version if they prefer an all white cast.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, charmonman said:

So, having a black character in a cartoon is “divisive” and “political”? People can still watch the old version if they prefer an all white cast.

Me stupid! I thought it was because the main character was a kind of trans women/fish! ????

3 hours ago, candide said:

Me stupid! I thought it was because the main character was a kind of trans women/fish! ????

That part is ok.  But everybody knows that mythical half-human creatures must be half heterosexual caucasion humans.  Anything else is woke and therefore unacceptable.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BTB1977 said:

I hate Disney . Totally opposite from what it was 20 to 50 years ago. 

So you are the one that hates Disney.

If you hate it then don't watch it.

I stopped watching most films in the 1980s but I don' hate any of the film companies.

Most people's tastes change over the years.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2023 at 8:27 AM, James105 said:

What happened to the Disney that was universally loved and focused on creating entertaining stories rather than shoehorning "the message" into every bit of content they create?  They are now a political - and therefore divisive - company.   I fail to see how that will help their bottom line as they are alienating large portions of their potential customers and losing out in big markets such as China.  

Most people don't want to see DeSantis creating animated feature films in much the same way that most people don't want to see Disney creating overtly political movies.

On 5/30/2023 at 11:31 AM, James105 said:

Since I didn't actually say any of what you said let me give you the definition of a straw man argument:

"an intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument."

Irony much? Your accusation  that someone is employing a straw man argument is truly comical considering that's exactly what you've done. What people want to see or hear from Disney is utterly irrelevant to the fact that the Florida govt is going after Disney for exercising its right to free speech.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Irony much? Your accusation  that someone is employing a straw man argument is truly comical considering that's exactly what you've done. What people want to see or hear from Disney is utterly irrelevant to the fact that the Florida govt is going after Disney for exercising its right to free speech.

The right wing claim to be the defenders of free speech and corporations are people too is quite troubling. It's all good until it isn't. Now they want to restrict companies ability to engage in free speech and want to ban books. They can't keep their ducks in a row.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

IMHO Disney can and is damaging itself enough without any help. DeSantis should just let them be and watch the carnage unfold.  They destroyed Star Wars, Indy Jones, and now most of their animations with insipid live action remakes.   All that is left is the theme parks, and even there.... let's just say that little girls going shopping at Cinderella's Castle don't expect to be greeted by a burly bearded man in a frock. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

IMHO Disney can and is damaging itself enough without any help. DeSantis should just let them be and watch the carnage unfold.  They destroyed Star Wars, Indy Jones, and now most of their animations with insipid live action remakes.   All that is left is the theme parks, and even there.... let's just say that little girls going shopping at Cinderella's Castle don't expect to be greeted by a burly bearded man in a frock. 

They are actually doing quite well with their live action remakes, including the little mermaid which made an impressive start.

https://screenrant.com/disney-live-action-remakes-movies-box-office/#the-little-mermaid-2023

1 minute ago, candide said:

They are actually doing quite well with their live action remakes, including the little mermaid which made an impressive start.

https://screenrant.com/disney-live-action-remakes-movies-box-office/#the-little-mermaid-2023

Little Mermaid is so bad that IMDB is putting its thumb on the scales to make the reviews seem more positive than they actually are. 

“Although we accept and consider all votes received by users, not all votes have the same impact (or ‘weight’) on the final rating. When unusual voting activity is detected, an alternate weighting calculation may be applied in order to preserve the reliability of our system,”

https://deadline.com/2023/05/the-little-mermaid-global-opening-review-bombing-international-box-office-1235381992/

3 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Little Mermaid is so bad that IMDB is putting its thumb on the scales to make the reviews seem more positive than they actually are. 

“Although we accept and consider all votes received by users, not all votes have the same impact (or ‘weight’) on the final rating. When unusual voting activity is detected, an alternate weighting calculation may be applied in order to preserve the reliability of our system,”

https://deadline.com/2023/05/the-little-mermaid-global-opening-review-bombing-international-box-office-1235381992/

Translation: Right wing activist internet trolls bombed the site with negative ratings.

"In some pockets of the world, there has sadly been racially-tinged commentary."

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought DeSantis was being silly picking a fight with Disney. Until I saw a vid of a bearded lady with hairy arms welcoming children to a toy shop in Disneyland.

I understand letting people be what they want to be, but rubbing 3-4 year olds faces in it is a bit much. I hope Disney gets Budlighted.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Translation: Right wing activist internet trolls bombed the site with negative ratings.

"In some pockets of the world, there has sadly been racially-tinged commentary."

Translation: "we don't want to make the great Disney angry, so...."

Of course there is some crap commentary, happens all the time. But that cannot be justification for fudging the numbers unless there is proof of large scale bufoonery. 

28 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

In a rating with honest participants you would see something along the lines of a bell curve in the distribution of ratings. When there are massive amounts of statistical outliers like it happened with the IMDB user ratings for this movie with a huge amount of 1 star ratings while there are very few 2 or 3 star ratings then you know these 1 star ratings are not honestly rating the quality of the movie but are just trying to influence the overall rating to one extreme. The movie might not be great but even without having seen it I can guarantee you that a big production like that has about a zero chance of being an honest 1 (all around terrible movie in every way). The motives of these bad faith voters don't really matter though it's pretty clear that in this case that they dislike the main protagonist being black now.

So, as you suggested IMDB is manipulating the rating the actual truth is that a group of users with an agenda manipulated the rating in a dishonest manner in the first place. The only way to counter that is by manipulating the system to try and exclude the dishonest votes.

For what it's worth I personally think it was a bad idea to change the race of Ariel and don't plan on seeing the movie but Disney is free to do whatever they want.

3 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

In a rating with honest participants you would see something along the lines of a bell curve in the distribution of ratings. When there are massive amounts of statistical outliers like it happened with the IMDB user ratings for this movie with a huge amount of 1 star ratings while there are very few 2 or 3 star ratings then you know these 1 star ratings are not honestly rating the quality of the movie but are just trying to influence the overall rating to one extreme. The movie might not be great but even without having seen it I can guarantee you that a big production like that has about a zero chance of being an honest 1 (all around terrible movie in every way). The motives of these bad faith voters don't really matter though it's pretty clear that in this case that they dislike the main protagonist being black now.

So, as you suggested IMDB is manipulating the rating the actual truth is that a group of users with an agenda manipulated the rating in a dishonest manner in the first place. The only way to counter that is by manipulating the system to try and exclude the dishonest votes.

For what it's worth I personally think it was a bad idea to change the race of Ariel and don't plan on seeing the movie but Disney is free to do whatever they want.

Or perhaps it is simply a crap movie? Perhaps viewers are not happy with the 'modifications' made to a beloved classic. I don't mean just the obvious of casting a cafe latte actress in the lead role, but the entire tenor of the original story was altered.

8 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Translation: "we don't want to make the great Disney angry, so...."

Of course there is some crap commentary, happens all the time. But that cannot be justification for fudging the numbers unless there is proof of large scale bufoonery. 

There is a right-wing review bombing campaign which is exactly that: artificially influence the ratings in a negative ways.

Rating should be written by people who have actually watched the movie, not by trolls.

Every board, forum or website is applying measures to avoid being massively trolled.

Meanwhile, the movie started quite well at the box-office, so it means people like it.

1 minute ago, candide said:

There is a right-wing review bombing campaign which is exactly that: artificially influence the ratings in a negative ways.

Rating should be written by people who have actually watched the movie, not by trolls.

Every board, forum or website is applying measures to avoid being massively trolled.

Meanwhile, the movie started quite well at the box-office, so it means people like it.

Even left wing outlets were saying the movie is not good.   e.g:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/may/27/the-little-mermaid-review-bland-but-good-natured-disney-remake-halle-bailey

I presume they watched it.   

In any case, the point is that Disney is in a downward spiral based on a series of terrible decisions at the management level.  So IMHO there is no need for DeSantis to get too involved.  I think some famous person whose name escaped me said something like, "if your opponent is making a mistake, don't interrupt them".

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

Or perhaps it is simply a crap movie? Perhaps viewers are not happy with the 'modifications' made to a beloved classic. I don't mean just the obvious of casting a cafe latte actress in the lead role, but the entire tenor of the original story was altered.

Like I said, if the ratings were honest you'd see something like a bell curve that gravitates to the lower end. Let's assume it's a crap, truly terrible movie. A movie where a majority of people would honestly say it's a 1. You'd see a ton of 1s, then a lot of 2s but less so than 1s. Then again fewer 3s. And even fewer 4s and so on. You don't see a lot of users voting in the range of say 5 to 7 and then suddenly a jump to all 1s.

The ratings here are a very obvious example of manipulated and dishonest voting to push an agenda. Also known as review bombing.

It's fine if people are unhappy with alterations to a classic. They can voice their opinions and deduct a bunch of points from the rating if they want to. But it doesn't justify an honest objective rating of 1 which would mean terrible acting, terrible writing, terrible direction, terrible visuals etc. all together.

BTW the same goes for the jump to 10s. There seems to be numerous dishonest ratings giving it a full score while there are a lot less 9s compared to 8s or 7s. But the manipulation with 1s is much higher.

6 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

In any case, the point is that Disney is in a downward spiral based on a series of terrible decisions at the management level.  So IMHO there is no need for DeSantis to get too involved.  I think some famous person whose name escaped me said something like, "if your opponent is making a mistake, don't interrupt them".

By that logic shouldn't Trump leave DeSantis alone then?

8 minutes ago, James105 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/may/27/the-little-mermaid-review-bland-but-good-natured-disney-remake-halle-bailey

Not true. Guardian gave it 3 stars out of 5. Anyway, most reviewers agree it's bland. Not the kind of movie that would excite such an overwhelming number of savage ratings.Unless there was some extraneous motivation.

13 minutes ago, James105 said:

Some critics may not like it, but the public (you know, the people who actually pay to see a movie) seem to like it.

More precisely:

- it remains that the website has been massively trolled by right-wing racists,

- a claim was made that live action remakes are not good for Dysney's business, and in particular the little mermaid. Fact is that the box office numbers are quite good for these movies, including the little mermaid. It shows it was a lame claim.

30 minutes ago, James105 said:

I wouldn't stop making movies based on these numbers. Anyone would think it lost money from reading your posts.

https://www.polygon.com/23742316/little-mermaid-box-office-opening-disney

1 hour ago, Chicksaw said:

I thought DeSantis was being silly picking a fight with Disney. Until I saw a vid of a bearded lady with hairy arms welcoming children to a toy shop in Disneyland.

I understand letting people be what they want to be, but rubbing 3-4 year olds faces in it is a bit much. I hope Disney gets Budlighted.

That Bud light thing was the epitome of lame. I thought they must have had some huge promotion around a trans person but, tell me if I’m wrong, it was one trans person among many spokespeople advocating the beer on social media. So what. How soft are right wingers to care. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy