Which English Pub Has The Best Meals

tropo

I love to hear other members' reports on various restaurants around Pattaya. There are so many, that I am usually hesitant to try a new restaurant without a first getting a recommendation or hearing some good reports.

We've covered Japanese, but how about English Pubs. Which are the best?

I really like a good roast dinner and other meals found in English Pubs and Irish Pubs.

I've only tried 2 so far: "The Butcher's Arms" on Soi Buakhao and the "Pig and Whistle" on Soi 7.

"Rosie O'Gradys", also on Soi 7 is the only Irish Pub I've tried.

My favourite so far is the "Pig and Whistle". I've enjoyed quite a few good meal there, but consider their roasts as average (I enjoy the roast potatoes more than the meat). The sheppard's pie and beef stews are quite good. All I can say about the fish n' chip meal is that it is BIG. I like this pub for its ambience - the non-smoking section at the back.

I'm keen to hear about other English Pubs around Pattaya. How is that Irish Pub at the southern end of Walking Street? Has anyone tried that?

I'm looking forward to hearing your reports.

Don't know about the best ones...but..

The Queen Vic on Soi 6 (some interesting views if you get a window seat) is not bad and does a good Sunday Roast,

And my personal favourite is the Caddy Shack in Jomtien (opposite Harley Bar), which does excellent home made pies amongst other good food, and is a real nice, clean quiet-ish pub.

The Queen Vic on Soi 6 (some interesting views if you get a window seat) is not bad and does a good Sunday Roast,

And my personal favourite is the Caddy Shack in Jomtien (opposite Harley Bar), which does excellent home made pies amongst other good food, and is a real nice, clean quiet-ish pub.

Mentioning the Harley Bar we love the Sunday lunch carvery which opens at about 3pm every Sunday. The meat is freshly roasted and carved and the veg and potatoes excellent and you can eat as much as you want (and return to get more) if you do not mind the rather seedy surroundings (and obvious working girls) the food is great.

Pig & Whistle (Soi 7), Caddy Shack (Soi 17), Queen Vic (Soi 6), Simple Simon's (Jomtien Soi 5), Palmer's Bar (Pattayaland), The Ritz (Soi Yamato) & Drunk & Dare-a-licks (Friday nights, Jomtien Beach Road Soi 9) are all worth a visit. For breakfast in Pattaya, the Pig & Whistle or the Ritz are my favourites.

Mentioning the Harley Bar we love the Sunday lunch carvery which opens at about 3pm every Sunday. The meat is freshly roasted and carved and the veg and potatoes excellent and you can eat as much as you want (and return to get more) if you do not mind the rather seedy surroundings (and obvious working girls) the food is great.

Keep em coming guys. I'll be giving them all a try.

Caddy Shack has a good website with many photos and a very good map on how to get there:

Caddy Shack

Always 2 answers to this type of question, are you looking for best quality food or best value for money??

IMO Crazy Daves wins on both accounts.

You have a good point.

Normally I expect to pay around the 200 to 250 baht mark for a roast dinner, and a bit more for lamb and good cuts of steak.

I just cruised past Crazy Daves an hour ago and noticed he has a comprehensive Indian curry menu on a big sign outside. He even has a lamb curry on offer for 120 baht, has anyone tried it?

Always 2 answers to this type of question, are you looking for best quality food or best value for money??

You have a good point.

Normally I expect to pay around the 200 to 250 baht mark for a roast dinner, and a bit more for lamb and good cuts of steak.

I just cruised past Crazy Daves an hour ago and noticed he has a comprehensive Indian curry menu on a big sign outside. He even has a lamb curry on offer for 120 baht, has anyone tried it?

I was jesting about Crazy Daves, although really i shouldn't seeing as i have never had the courage to eat there, anyway just got back from the Caddy Shack, excellent roast beef dinner and at 175 baht, pretty hard to beat.

If you are in that Soi, do yourself a favour and go to Seaside 2, just up from CD's. Better food than CD and better prices, plus you don't have to contend with a pissed up owner (so I have heard).

The fish & chips with mushy peas and home made tartar sauce at the Pig & Whistle are very hard to beat, and the no smoking section is a huge vote winner for me.

If you are in that Soi, do yourself a favour and go to Seaside 2, just up from CD's. Better food than CD and better prices, plus you don't have to contend with a pissed up owner (so I have heard).

The fish & chips with mushy peas and home made tartar sauce at the Pig & Whistle are very hard to beat, and the no smoking section is a huge vote winner for me.

again i was joking about CD's , but the OP was looking for pubs/bars and seaside 2 would not really fall into that catergory, anyway i much prefer Neeroys fish and chips and they are only 99 baht but again you couldn't really call Neeroys a pub.

Sportsman on soi 13 does good food, Shenanigans on 2nd road is also very good.

again i was joking about CD's , but the OP was looking for pubs/bars and seaside 2 would not really fall into that catergory, anyway i much prefer Neeroys fish and chips and they are only 99 baht but again you couldn't really call Neeroys a pub.

Sportsman on soi 13 does good food, Shenanigans on 2nd road is also very good.

Darkside, could you please give the exact location of Shenanigans and also Neeroys as I do enjoy fish and chips.

Jamesons is worth a look. (The Christmas decorations are something my kids still talk about now.)

Daily sets good value,

Location please?

Head north on Second Road and turn right at the corner of Bangkok Bank. Follow this road passing a T-junction on your left...keep on the original road and you'll see Jamesons on the left hand side. There is a huge barrel built into the outside wall. The large car park is another 50 metres on the same side.

Yes. Caddy Shack. Very good food.

But it's not a pub and it only does mash or chips, not roast potatoes.

Kilkenny in Walking Street is pricy, but no better than P&W.

All this was discussed in great detail in a thread six months or more ago - on dining out in Pattaya.

Darkside, could you please give the exact location of Shenanigans and also Neeroys as I do enjoy fish and chips.

Shennigan's is a part of the Royal Garden Plaza / Marriott complex - past the car park entrance on Second Road.

Neeroy's is just inside Soi Chaiyaphum, on the right, off Soi Buakheow - SC is about half way along SB.

For Jamesons you can also turn left off Nua at the sign for the rear entry into the Big C.

Keep going past the Thai night clubs on your left, Big C on your right. Head in a straight line along this road until you reach the T junction at the end, where the pub is clearly marked after a left at the T junction.

I have had the carvery at Jamiesons twice and would not return - absolutely awful

Had the Roast Beef at Caddy Shack Yesterday for the 2nd week running - lovely :o , AND for 175 THB - good VFM.

I have also on occasion had the Carvery next door in Harley Bar, no complaints, nice fodder, the roasties are done to perfection but no Yorkshire Pud

I get good reports about the Sportsmans carvery - I think its about 350 THB though - but I have not tried it myself

All this was discussed in great detail in a thread six months or more ago - on dining out in Pattaya.

:o

OK I give up ......... <deleted> is it then?

:D

OK I give up ......... <deleted> is it then?

If the Caddy Shack is not a pub, then I've clearly been away from England for too long :o

I have had the carvery at Jamiesons twice and would not return - absolutely awful

Had the Roast Beef at Caddy Shack Yesterday for the 2nd week running - lovely :o , AND for 175 THB - good VFM.

I have also on occasion had the Carvery next door in Harley Bar, no complaints, nice fodder, the roasties are done to perfection but no Yorkshire Pud

I get good reports about the Sportsmans carvery - I think its about 350 THB though - but I have not tried it myself

totally agree about jamesons, about a year ago was very difficult to beat, the serving staff changed and all down hill since!

if you ask for a yorkshire pud, face hits floor followed by tongs with "go sit down well bring it" and to be fair they do bring it, when youve finished eating!

nice bar, nice waiting serving staff all let down by the servery guy really!

but go things might be ok now, staff come and go!

sunday carvery, best in the big p, gotta be sportsman soi 13, food great, staff great, portions massive, never had or heard a complaint! bit pricy last time was 425 bhat i think! but worth it!

Now Tropical berts, opposite bankok bank on your way to big c on 2nd road, good food all round, never had a carvery (not sure if they do) but his portions and quality seconed to none. thats as english as ya can get!

and if ya little tummys full they even do a doggy bag for ya!

prices good too cos you eat at jamesons and a hieniken will cost about 100 bhat, tropical berts about 75, same as bars! well worth a visit, and if yave got a mum, ya can buy her a t set as a pressie like i did!

shenanigans was good last time i was there but the wait was a long one!

killkenny walking street very good when i was last there, but not been for a while, def worth a visit!

If you live in East Pattaya or fancy a trip out to the finer part of the area, try Sunday roast at Sure Park.

I am nothing to do with the management at this establishment but I do eat Sunday lunch here often.

To find this restaurant, start at the Wat at the bottom of Soi Nung Plabwan and head towards Sukhumvit. After approx. 1 kilometer ( 3rd. soi on left ) is Soi 24. Turn left and follow soi for about 1 - 1 1/2 klms. Sure Park is on right. They have a large car park at front and an overflow at rear. They have been working on the road at Soi N Plabwan for a long time so you may have to approach Sure Park from soi 26. You can also get there from Soi Khao Noi. Leave Sukhumvit and follow Khao Noi, cross railway line and after approx. 1 klm. at 7/11 store turn left. Follow this soi for about 1 1/2 klms. and after a sharp left-hand bend Sure Park is on the left. As I said, I have been eating Sunday lunch here for quite some time and I personally think it the best in the area! The restaurant is open 7 days and have live music at w/ends. The steaks are also very good, as is the Thai food.

It's not a pub but it is a very pleasant setting for a meal and Sunny ( the owner ) can cater for large parties.

PS. The prices are very reasonable!

If you live in East Pattaya or fancy a trip out to the finer part of the area, try Sunday roast at Sure Park.

I am nothing to do with the management at this establishment but I do eat Sunday lunch here often.

To find this restaurant, start at the Wat at the bottom of Soi Nung Plabwan and head towards Sukhumvit. After approx. 1 kilometer ( 3rd. soi on left ) is Soi 24. Turn left and follow soi for about 1 - 1 1/2 klms. Sure Park is on right. They have a large car park at front and an overflow at rear. They have been working on the road at Soi N Plabwan for a long time so you may have to approach Sure Park from soi 26. You can also get there from Soi Khao Noi. Leave Sukhumvit and follow Khao Noi, cross railway line and after approx. 1 klm. at 7/11 store turn left. Follow this soi for about 1 1/2 klms. and after a sharp left-hand bend Sure Park is on the left. As I said, I have been eating Sunday lunch here for quite some time and I personally think it the best in the area! The restaurant is open 7 days and have live music at w/ends. The steaks are also very good, as is the Thai food.

It's not a pub but it is a very pleasant setting for a meal and Sunny ( the owner ) can cater for large parties.

i have eaten there myself and my opinion is the exact opposite of yours.

i have eaten there myself and my opinion is the exact opposite of yours.

Seeing your opinion about Crazy Daves, I don't thinks your opinion counts for much!!