Are Carryboy covers illegal on 2 door 4x4s?

A member here posted this back in 2014:

"....Those "carryboy" covers are illegal on 2 door 4x4s....

Most trucks you have to have it noted in the blue book. 2 door 4x4, not allowed. 4 door 4x4s are ok."

Has anyone here installed a canopy/cap on a 2 door 4x4 and had it successfully checked and noted in the blue book?

Online images I've seen of 4x4s in Thailand with a canopy are all 4 door.

I had one on a 2 door NV pick up perfectly legal, and Then i took it off to move building stuff, I left it off, when I went to renew the road tax sticker at the LTO, this is where Thai laws go mental, they had to change the blue book to say it no longer had one :crazy: so in theory if i want to put it back on and after a few days put it back on the blue book would have to be changed again and again, as I said you can't cure stupid.

PS I don't use the government office anymore, and I don't think those testing stations with the yellow cog would give a flying fork. No they are not illegal. just fit one and wait till tax renewal, they will change the book simple. no fee that i can recall. on a side note has anyone been asked by cops to show their blue book, I never have.

Edited by brianthainess

31 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

No they are not illegal. just fit one and wait till tax renewal, they will change the book simple.

But do you know for a fact that they are not illegal for a 2 door 4x4?

2 wheel drive trucks are not a problem with installing the canopy. I think the issue is, if there even is an issue, 4 wheel drives are heavier but 4 door trucks are taxed differently than 2 door trucks. If it is illegal to have one on a 2 door 4x4 it would make it a target at the checkpoints I'd rather not risk that hassle.

31 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I had one on a 2 door NV pick up perfectly legal, and Then i took it off to move building stuff, I left it off, when I went to renew the road tax sticker at the LTO, this is where Thai laws go mental, they had to change the blue book to say it no longer had one :crazy: so in theory if i want to put it back on and after a few days put it back on the blue book would have to be changed again and again, as I said you can't cure stupid.

PS I don't use the government office anymore, and I don't think those testing stations with the yellow cog would give a flying fork. No they are not illegal. just fit one and wait till tax renewal, they will change the book simple. no fee that i can recall. on a side note has anyone been asked by cops to show their blue book, I never have.

Yes  have. 200 baht  because not listed in Bluebook. Only time ever ask or check .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ningnong said:

2 wheel drive trucks are not a problem with installing the canopy. I think the issue is, if there even is an issue, 4 wheel drives are heavier but 4 door trucks are taxed differently than 2 door trucks. If it is illegal to have one on a 2 door 4x4 it would make it a target at the checkpoints I'd rather not risk that hassle.

My truck is a smart cab maybe 2 door road tax is paid on it but it has 4 doors, I put 3 aftermarket seat belts in the rear cab section and recently the police didn't fine at any police stops, there were people in back too which I would of thought a fine would be given, but nowt, waved on.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ningnong said:

I guess then the only way to find out is to call your local office, get a Thai to ask if possible, but i still don't think they are illegal. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

My truck is a smart cab maybe 2 door road tax is paid on it but it has 4 doors, I put 3 aftermarket seat belts in the rear cab section and recently the police didn't fine at any police stops, there were people in back too which I would of thought a fine would be given, but nowt, waved on.

I was thinking the same 2 door tax same as 4 door green plates on both ? 

11 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I guess then the only way to find out is to call your local office, get a Thai to ask if possible, but i still don't think they are illegal.

That is on the list to do, not call but go visit. But....if someone there says off the top of their head no problem I still will not be certain until the day I show up with the canopy on the truck. It would be great to see the actual law in writing.

Looking at the Carryboy website I can not find any canopies for just plain 2 door trucks.  The only ones I see that they sell for 2 door trucks are meant for carrying passengers in the back.

• Like 1

Just a scenario that came to mind;

These covers are only held on with 4-6 small bolts, (and silicon seal) 

So say you went and brought one, and just used small ratchet straps to transport it as a 'load', not having it Fixed permanently  as such then that would be perfectly legal imo  just saying.. 

• Haha 1

You can use a carryboy on a 4 door cab but for be legal it need a registration at the LTO and a print in the blue book. Every car check station can do it for you, but it's cost more as if you doing it self.

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So say you went and brought one, and just used small ratchet straps to transport it as a 'load', not having it Fixed permanently  as such then that would be perfectly legal imo  just saying..

Nice try. That'll be 400 baht please.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, snowgard said:

You can use a carryboy on a 4 door cab but for be legal it need a registration at the LTO and a print in the blue book.

True but I want to know if it is legal to put a Carryboy on a 2 door 4 wheel drive truck.

A member posted in the past that it is illegal to put a Carryboy on a 2 door 4 wheel drive truck. He was very specific about it in his post.

7 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Trust me, never ever seen having a problem. As long as it is registered on one of the back pages of the car registration book (blue); 2x4, 4x4 on 2-, resp. 4-door vehicles. 

I would like to trust you but that's hard to do since another member once posted that it is illegal to put a cap on a 2 door 4x4. Who to believe? I was hoping for someone who has firsthand experience with putting a cap on their 2 door 4x4 and getting it noted in the blue book.

8 hours ago, rwill said:

Looking at the Carryboy website I can not find any canopies for just plain 2 door trucks.  The only ones I see that they sell for 2 door trucks are meant for carrying passengers in the back.

There's a lot of examples of Carryboy caps on plain 2 door trucks, extra cab and 4 door trucks. But I've yet to see an image of one on a 2 door 4x4.

You can search for images of Carryboy using Thai so it will just show trucks in Thailand:

หลังคาไฟเบอร์ แครี่บอย

18 minutes ago, ningnong said:

There's a lot of examples of Carryboy caps on plain 2 door trucks, extra cab and 4 door trucks. But I've yet to see an image of one on a 2 door 4x4.

You can search for images of Carryboy using Thai so it will just show trucks in Thailand:

หลังคาไฟเบอร์ แครี่บอย

https://images.app.goo.gl/jWL8UD7vWb57GSyg8

16 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Can you please explain what you intend to use it for? 

To protect stuff, tools, toys etc from the elements and casual theft.

I came across a Thai government site where you can submit a query and they then apparently reach out to the appropriate government agency or database and reply back (we hope). I gave it a shot not really expecting anything back but within 24 hours they emailed a reply. The site is in Thai and queries need to be in Thai I suppose which I did. I could tell an actual human read my message because they slightly rephrased my question to clarify what I was asking. The reply was very complete with details of how to proceed, necessary documents and fees.

Here is the translated portion answering my main question.

>Subject: Application for permission to install a fiberglass canopy for pickup trucks

Installing a fiberglass roof, a 4x4 (4wd) 2-door pickup truck, will the Department of Land Transport accept it or not?

The Transport Office staff will consider granting permission. A vehicle with a fiberglass roof must be brought in for inspection and assessment in terms of strength and safety.<

Not a definite yes but more importantly not a definite no either.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ningnong said:

To protect stuff, tools, toys etc from the elements and casual theft.

I came across a Thai government site where you can submit a query and they then apparently reach out to the appropriate government agency or database and reply back (we hope). I gave it a shot not really expecting anything back but within 24 hours they emailed a reply. The site is in Thai and queries need to be in Thai I suppose which I did. I could tell an actual human read my message because they slightly rephrased my question to clarify what I was asking. The reply was very complete with details of how to proceed, necessary documents and fees.

Here is the translated portion answering my main question.

>Subject: Application for permission to install a fiberglass canopy for pickup trucks

Installing a fiberglass roof, a 4x4 (4wd) 2-door pickup truck, will the Department of Land Transport accept it or not?

The Transport Office staff will consider granting permission. A vehicle with a fiberglass roof must be brought in for inspection and assessment in terms of strength and safety.<

Not a definite yes but more importantly not a definite no either.

Sorry I had to give a laugh emoji, so up to whoever is on the counter at that time, init. but their answer has no logic (how unusual:smile:) You buy a cover, have it fitted, go to LTO and they could refuse you, as soon as you leave the building you are illegal :cheesy:. I'm sure one of the reputable makers like Carboy would be OK though. you could always get a canvas cover, I like those canvas ones that hinge up, like a pram hood, (only way i can describe them). i haven't seen one of those for ages.   Good luck 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/2/2023 at 1:59 PM, ningnong said:

I would like to trust you but that's hard to do since another member once posted that it is illegal to put a cap on a 2 door 4x4. Who to believe? I was hoping for someone who has firsthand experience with putting a cap on their 2 door 4x4 and getting it noted in the blue book.

Get it from the horse's mouth then and show up at your local DLT office for details ???? 

• Thumbs Up 1