Pavement rage: Food delivery rider ‘delivers’ slap to pedestrian for blocking his path

snoop1130

10 hours ago, carlyai said:

No, they ride on the footpath in Aus too. 

I think not many people mind these very low paid workers making a living in this GIK economy.

No excuse for breaking the law…I give a rat’s ass if they are poor or not….

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Sad 1

On 6/1/2023 at 5:25 PM, brianthainess said:

Shame he didn't kick him hard enough. No number plate and probably no license. confiscate his M/C and pay the guy 10k in compensation, like the Ozzy guy had to.

agree but NO chance!!!!! of any compensation.....

23 hours ago, billd766 said:

Lucky for me I don't live in the city but in rural Thailand and most of the villages don't have proper pavements anyway.

Lucky for me I live in a smaller town in rural Thailand, and most of the sidewalks are unrideable -and unwalkable- due to locals building vending stands on the sidewalk, storing supplies, or setting up rows of potted plants to prevent pedestrians on the sidewalk.

I'm confident I won't be hit by a moto taxi on the sidewalk.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 4:56 PM, snoop1130 said:

A food delivery rider who violated the law by riding on a pavement slapped a pedestrian in the face because the victim blocked his path.

The thing is, you have laws and you have customs, and Thailand is governed more by custom than by law. 

In Thailand, custom dictates that motorcycles have right of way on pavements and pedestrians should give way to them, even if the law is quite different.

It would be good if this was to change, but where is that change going to come from?

4 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

The thing is, you have laws and you have customs, and Thailand is governed more by custom than by law. 

In Thailand, custom dictates that motorcycles have right of way on pavements and pedestrians should give way to them, even if the law is quite different.

It would be good if this was to change, but where is that change going to come from?

Australians who are prepared to pay 10,000 baht fines and 40,000 baht damages for standing up to ayholes who attempt to bully others in traffic (and motorcycles on pavements) !!!!!.... :whistling:

Edited by richard_smith237

On 6/1/2023 at 8:12 PM, richard_smith237 said:

And here in lies the issue....  the utter absence of enforcement, the utter apathy to deal with such issues empowers and enables those breaking the law with a sense of entitlement such that when their behaviour is called out, their response is one of ‘self-righteous anger’..... 

I don't disagree, but a complete lack of consequences is experienced by most Thai people pretty much from birth.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Australians who are prepared to pay 10,000 baht fines and 40,000 baht damages for standing up to ayholes who attempt to bully others in traffic (and motorcycles on pavements) !!!!!.... :whistling:

I wish I could say that I feel like that will make a difference.  Unfortunately, anyone who thinks that motorcyclists have right of way over pedestrians on pavements, and, should a pedestrian complain, they are allowed to assault them, is unlikely to be easily swayed on that position.

On 6/2/2023 at 9:14 PM, BangkokReady said:

I wish I could say that I feel like that will make a difference.  Unfortunately, anyone who thinks that motorcyclists have right of way over pedestrians on pavements, and, should a pedestrian complain, they are allowed to assault them, is unlikely to be easily swayed on that position.

The victim looks extremely ‘weedy’..  I’m sure the aggressor (Grab Rider) would not have considered such a response had the person complaining about their riding on the pavement been of a less puny build (i.e. a  183cm / 90kg guy).....

But, I agree... their behaviour has continued for so long its almost ‘enabled’ the consistent tolerance of motorcyclists on pavements has instilled an sense of entitlement, these offenders really believe they are doing nothing wrong and get upset when questioned. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1