Cheese - why so expensive?

ravip

36 minutes ago, champers said:

Anybody seen Dairylea triangles?

You get laughing cow brand here, it is made in France or Belgium it is just Dairylea with a different name, runs at about 140 to 150 Baht in most of the expat shops. Same brand does the processed cheese slices they are about 140 baht for 12 slice pack.

Yes, good cheese is expensive in Thailand. I'm from Switzerland, so obviously I grew up around good cheese. The last cheese I bought was from a specialiced company in BKK which is managed by a Swiss. I don't want to advertise something, but just tell the reader that I bought Swiss Raclette cheese, made in France about two months ago. It was 900 Baht/kilo then, but I don't see it currently available. I bought the cheese here

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

That's not cheese. It's processed crap. 

OMG, I didn't think adults ate that stuff. 

kraft1.jpg.dac39f3f8c486fda5d67ff764d352d09.jpg

They don't eat the Kraft contents, just the wrapper instead!

The so called "cheese" they use as insoles I believe!

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, LennyW said:

You get laughing cow brand here, it is made in France or Belgium it is just Dairylea with a different name, runs at about 140 to 150 Baht in most of the expat shops. Same brand does the processed cheese slices they are about 140 baht for 12 slice pack.

Siamburi do the Panda brand, a similar product from Egypt. Not quite as good as Laughing Cow but significantly cheaper at about 85 baht.

Flew into Bangkok on a cheap ticket with Lufthansa yesterday from Italy. Only 8kg baggage allowed as carry on. Sod's Law, Never weight the Bag. Could have bought more. Salami and Cheese just over 2 kg. Just over B1000.I know I'm a cheapskate but I can't tell the difference with Parmigiano Regginio.

IMG_1420.jpeg

They have cheese in the US?

Our local Tops has quite a variety of cheeses. Including Uk, French and Italian. Bought some nice Stilton recently, but as you say, not cheap.

Transport costs likely. 

Edited by phetphet

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

What I call cheese (Swiss, French, Italian) is indeed expensive.

How true. Swiss, French, Italian varieties and thats it. Waitrose sells as well a good Brie and a (for Thailand at least) good Parmesano Reggiano (18 months aged, better I have not seen here). But these come for sure not from Britain. The Parmegiano is even protected.

And Thailand sells a sort of cream cheese that is palatable ! I mix it with whipping cream and add Sour Cherries. Quite palatable. As far as British, New Zeeland, Australian, Danish etc. "cheese" is concerned, no way for me.

It is expensive, not a real market. Import and costs. Makro had cheddar cheese, but still it costs.

I found this one for you, but it is online , so they send from Thailand

https://dutchcheese4you.shop/cheeses/

Yup, weird adres, but checked it out, its there.

Thought there was another one, but couldnt find that one.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wildpuppet72 said:

Don't buy cheese from lazada everything is over priced that are imported special in lazada 

Depends where you live, and your access to cheese.   Unless lots of expats in the area, choice may be limited.  Can always find cheese 'products' (Kraft singles or version of) at 7-11, but most would prefer something better, if wanting real cheese.

16 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

It is expensive, not a real market. Import and costs. Makro had cheddar cheese, but still it costs.

I found this one for you, but it is online , so they send from Thailand

https://dutchcheese4you.shop/cheeses/

Yup, weird adres, but checked it out, its there.

Thought there was another one, but couldnt find that one.

I dont mind a bit of Old Amsterdam 

5 hours ago, wildpuppet72 said:

Don't buy cheese from lazada everything is over priced that are imported special in lazada 

The scam is that someone walks around Villa Market or Foodland taking photos of imported items that might cost about 100 baht and sells them on Lazada for 500 baht. When some idiot buys they just go to the supermarket, buy it and then send it.

On 6/2/2023 at 3:11 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

That's not cheese. It's processed crap. 

OMG, I didn't think adults ate that stuff. 

The Americans do and think that it is the real deal, as they are fast food orientated and that's mainly the only kind they see.

Over to the Americans to get upset.

From Nookies just outside of Nong Ki. Off the Route 24.. You won't find cheaper.

NEW CHEESES CALVELEY MILL STILTON…………………………………….500 GM………….500 BAHT CATHEDRAL CHEDDAR: MILD………………………………………………………….200 GM………….215 BAHT MATURE…………………………………………………….200 GM………….225 BAHT MATURE…………………………………………………….350 GM………….350 BAHT EXTRA MATURE…………………………………………200 GM………….240 BAHT VINTAGE……………………………………………………200 GM………….250 BAHT

CHEDDAR………………………………………………….…………….……………………400 BAHT/KILO MATURE CHEDDAR……………………………………………………………………….460 BAHT/KILO GOUDA……………………………………………………………………………………………460 BAHT/KILO EMMENTALER…………………………………………………………………………………520 BAHT/KILO DOUBLE GLOUCESTER……………………………………………………………………500 BAHT/KILO MONTEREY JACK……………………………………………………………………………..500 BAHT/KILO

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2023 at 3:35 PM, anchadian said:

This is real cheese currently on offer at Lotus's not the processed garbage.

https://www.lotuss.com/en/search/mainland?sort=relevance:DESC

I do like cheese and my favourite at the moment is Mainland Vintage Cheddar Cheese, however at times it is in short supply.

A short while ago I saw some blocks of Californian (vintage?) Cheddar on sale in Big C, which had some sort of writing on the label which denoted it was a strong flavoured cheese, so I thought I'd give it a try, and it was bloody awful (not strong, but tasted a little sweet?), so much so that I gave it away to a poor Thai guy who caretakes an empty building near me, as I often make too much food for myself and give him some for his dinner – – no idea what he thought of it.

TBH food is something quite personal, and one person's delicacy might be disgusting to another. Hence, no one should think 'their' taste is superior...

For instance, that very expensive, strong smelling blue cheese (I cant remember the name) is something I wouldn't touch with a barge pole! But for some, it's out of this world!

20 hours ago, ravip said:

TBH food is something quite personal, and one person's delicacy might be disgusting to another. Hence, no one should think 'their' taste is superior...

For instance, that very expensive, strong smelling blue cheese (I cant remember the name) is something I wouldn't touch with a barge pole! But for some, it's out of this world!

roquefort, made already since 79 ac, they say

On 6/2/2023 at 4:55 PM, norfolkandchance said:

Flew into Bangkok on a cheap ticket with Lufthansa yesterday from Italy. Only 8kg baggage allowed as carry on. Sod's Law, Never weight the Bag. Could have bought more. Salami and Cheese just over 2 kg. Just over B1000.I know I'm a cheapskate but I can't tell the difference with Parmigiano Regginio.

IMG_1420.jpeg

Pork products are now prohibited item, 200k baht fine and up to 2 years in prison. This was valid last year, not sure what's the situation now.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3639027

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Pork products are now prohibited item, 200k baht fine and up to 2 years in prison. This was valid last year, not sure what's the situation now.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3639027

I was in a wheelchair with  a white stick and dark glasses. 
Thanks for you input though.

On 6/3/2023 at 4:05 PM, IvorBiggun2 said:

From Nookies just outside of Nong Ki. Off the Route 24.. You won't find cheaper.

NEW CHEESES CALVELEY MILL STILTON…………………………………….500 GM………….500 BAHT CATHEDRAL CHEDDAR: MILD………………………………………………………….200 GM………….215 BAHT MATURE…………………………………………………….200 GM………….225 BAHT MATURE…………………………………………………….350 GM………….350 BAHT EXTRA MATURE…………………………………………200 GM………….240 BAHT VINTAGE……………………………………………………200 GM………….250 BAHT

CHEDDAR………………………………………………….…………….……………………400 BAHT/KILO MATURE CHEDDAR……………………………………………………………………….460 BAHT/KILO GOUDA……………………………………………………………………………………………460 BAHT/KILO EMMENTALER…………………………………………………………………………………520 BAHT/KILO DOUBLE GLOUCESTER……………………………………………………………………500 BAHT/KILO MONTEREY JACK……………………………………………………………………………..500 BAHT/KILO

And he delivers.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

And he delivers.

I go in person so you need to ask him. He does deliveries but it's a question of where and when. Look up his full stock https://www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net/docs/Nookies Price List.pdf

https://www.nookiesdelights.3baht.net/   

Edited by IvorBiggun2