Trump doesn’t like the term ‘woke’: ‘Half the people can’t even define it’

onthedarkside

2 minutes ago, 2baht said:

The definition was never in doubt, the word has been around as long as there's been English, why morons need to recycle used words, I don't know! 

The definition of woke in it's original etymology bears no resemblance to the misuse to which the intolerant indulge in lately.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

The definition of woke in it's original etymology bears no resemblance to the misuse to which the intolerant indulge in lately.

I woke up at 5.00am this morning!

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Yes but the word has been perverted so much by the right wing grifters that it's really not used any more in the original meaning.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, 2baht said:

I woke up at 5.00am this morning!

Oh, you found an English word which has two meanings. Well done! The one is common recent use by the bigots isn't one of them.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Boys dressed as girls. Please try to control your ignorance of gay issues and hate speech. It's disgusting.

The non binary nature of gender has been explained here many times. You have no excuse to continually remain ignorant and troll readers of this thread.

Rape cover ups is disgusting.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2022/12/05/loudoun-school-sexual-assaults-report/

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Paywall. You haven't read the article.

I don't have a paywall, and yes I've read it and remember all the coverage leading up to the gov. race. I'm surprised you don't remember.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

So let's erase, demonize, and outlaw cisgender males because after all almost all the rapes ever done in the world have been done by cisgender males.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

What has a rape crime got to do with all the LBGT hate? Straight men rape women but it doesn't elicit this sort of knee jerk.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

What has a rape crime got to do with all the LBGT hate? Straight men rape women but it doesn't elicit this sort of knee jerk.

I'll ignore your deflection.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

The guy was wearing a skirt which apparently gave him the right to use girl's bathroom. Just one instance of what happens when we allow insanity into our schools.

It's a very rare incident that should have zero impact on policies.

Someone ran their car into a building. Let's outlaw cars.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

The guy was wearing a skirt which apparently gave him the right to use girl's bathroom. Just one instance of what happens when we allow insanity into our schools.

From your link

at the time of the first assault, Loudoun determined bathroom access by biological sex

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

I looked on Google and there are several of occurrences of girls raped in 'normal' toilets in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

It's quite simple.

Old definition (positive): Being aware of certain social/political/economic issues affecting certain marginalised and disadvantaged groups.  (E.g. "He's cool, he's woke to the things that affect us.")

New definition (negative): Trying to pander and virtue signal, making it appear that someone is trying to help the groups from the old definition but are actually doing so purely for personal gain.  (E.g. "Go woke, go broke.")

I think the negative has really replaced the positive version, which is pretty old-fashioned anyway.

People will try to pretend they don't know the meaning, or that "only Nazi White Supremacists use the new meaning", because they know that words represent ideas and ideas have power.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It's quite simple.

Old definition (positive): Being aware of certain social/political/economic issues affecting certain marginalised and disadvantaged groups.  (E.g. "He's cool, he's woke to the things that affect us.")

New definition (negative): Trying to pander and virtue signal, making it appear that someone is trying to help the groups from the old definition but are actually doing so purely for personal gain.  (E.g. "Go woke, go broke.")

I think the negative has really replaced the positive version, which is pretty old-fashioned anyway.

People will try to pretend they don't know the meaning, or that "only Nazi White Supremacists use the new meaning", because they know that words represent ideas and ideas have power.

No, it's labeling. Repeatedly using the term woke does not elucidate any ideas at all. It's straight nazi era demonisation.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

No, it's labeling. Repeatedly using the term woke does not elucidate any ideas at all. It's straight nazi era demonisation.

No, it's used do describe a noticeable pattern of behaviour.  It's clearly an idea.  It has nothing to do with Nazis.  ????

38 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It's quite simple.

Uh....where did that new definition come from?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

From the way the word is now used.  ????‍♂️

You know?  Can you give us a generally accepted definition? If not, can you please tell us how the word is consistently used now? 

Consistency is key.  We can't have two different definitions of a commonly used word, can we?

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

It's quite simple.

Funny.

Your definition of woke is completely different than the definition given by DeSantis the world's leading kill woke politician.

Face it dude.

Woke is just a generic political attack word now.

Where he uses the loaded phrase cultural Marxism another BS generic attack phrase of the right that most can't even define.

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/ron-desantis-asked-to-define-woke-for-reporter-after-trump-claims-half-the-people-cant-define-it/

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Funny.

Your definition of woke is completely different than the definition given by DeSantis the world's leading kill woke politician.

Face it dude.

Woke is just a generic political attack word now.

Where he uses the loaded phrase cultural Marxism another BS generic attack phrase of the right that most can't even define.

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/ron-desantis-asked-to-define-woke-for-reporter-after-trump-claims-half-the-people-cant-define-it/

I don't expect much more from DeSantis and he will fade away. Word salad is the best description of his campaign. 

• Like 1