Trump doesn’t like the term ‘woke’: ‘Half the people can’t even define it’

onthedarkside

7 minutes ago, RanongCat said:

Is possible Trump  not like  because he also not understand an so not able to  explain  his tribal members?

Trump doesn't like it because DeSantis is using it effectively to slander the left by labeling them as "woke".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

This side-bar nonsense began because you apparently think the greatest danger of "woke" is transgender men using women's restrooms.  You have never been clear as to why that is such a big deal for you, and your follow-on posts have been getting vaguer but much more insistent that you are right about something, though I'm not sure what.

I see no point in pursuing your obsession any further.

So you're just going to ignore all the incorrect things you have said?

You choose your bathroom based on your sexuality? Seriously? You're completely wrong, based on your quoted definition of sexuality, but you're just going to ignore that?

How do you expect to have any sort of meaningful discussion with someone if you ignore what they say, pretend you haven't made many mistakes and slander them?

I have stayed perfectly on the point I originally raised with you and have been more specific, not vague.

Your comment, sadly, suggests trolling.

1 hour ago, BenStark said:

Not surprised that the usual suspects on this forum claim not to know the meaning

Woke

• Umbrella term for individuals who are engrossed by social justice and thinks of themselves as saviors with a moral high ground, but remain willfully ignorant to the irrationality of their claims and the problems they create.

That's just a random "definition" written by an obvious right wing type on a site any bozo can suggest a definition. 

Note that it mocks social justice in typical maga fascist style as if there.is something evil about people fighting for social justice.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's just a random "definition" written by an obvious right wing type on a site any bozo can suggest a definition. 

Note that it mocks social justice in typical maga fascist style as if there.is something evil about people fighting for social justice.

That's exactly what they believe because social justice is all about benefiting non white or non straight people aka minorities.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Stop trolling. I have changed nothing. I've said all along that non MAGA people never use the word except to complain about it.

Ah, I realise what I have done.  I misunderstood this slightly unclear sentence: "Pretty sure what I was asking is an example of usage of "woke" by non maga people in a context other than complaining about the misuse and general insulting nature it is used." as there being a third group, that is "people who use it as an insult.  (A mistake, not a trolling.)

Apologies for that.

But back to the original question.

Non-MAGA people do use "woke" in the newer negative meaning.  I have explained here how it is now used and posted several links to support it.

The word is used by very much non-MAGA types to critique those that fall under the new meaning.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Trolls using a word incorrectly doesn't change it's meaning.

I didn't say anything about trolls using the word.  I'm talking about regular people using it in a legitimate way.

30 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Popular parlance coins new words but it doesn't change them.

Absurd.  Of course words can change meaning through use over time.

Edited by BangkokReady

3 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Ah, I realise what I have done.  I misunderstood this slightly unclear sentence: "Pretty sure what I was asking is an example of usage of "woke" by non maga people in a context other than complaining about the misuse and general insulting nature it is used." as there being a third group, that is "people who use it as an insult.  (A mistake, not a trolling.)

Apologies for that.

But back to the original question.

Non-MAGA people do use "woke" in the newer negative meaning.  I have explained here how it is now used and posted several links to support it.

The word is used by very much non-MAGA types to critique those that fall under the new meaning.

Thanks for clearing up your misunderstanding, I was getting frustrated. From the Atlantic link which underscores my point that left wing use of the word is to complain about it's use.

Going further, you should acknowledge that as with cancel culture, critical race theory, and even structural racism, the contested nature of the term imposes a preemptive barrier to productive disagreement.

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

I didn't say anything about trolls using the word.  I'm talking about regular people using it in a legitimate way.

Absurd.  Of course words can change meaning through use over time.

Some examples, please.

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Thanks for clearing up your misunderstanding, I was getting frustrated. From the Atlantic link which underscores my point that left wing use of the word is to complain about it's use.

Going further, you should acknowledge that as with cancel culture, critical race theory, and even structural racism, the contested nature of the term imposes a preemptive barrier to productive disagreement.

If you view all of the links, you will see that the word is used by non-MAGA types who are not trolling.  That is my point.

The original and noble definition of woke has not been changed per se.

It's been completely perverted by maga zealots to the point that it's only a very vague attack weapon. If someone accuses you of woke any meaningful and productive debate is instantly finished. Another reason American democracy is on the edge of doom.

2 hours ago, BenStark said:

Not surprised that the usual suspects on this forum claim not to know the meaning

Woke

• Umbrella term for individuals who are engrossed by social justice and thinks of themselves as saviors with a moral high ground, but remain willfully ignorant to the irrationality of their claims and the problems they create.

You really did pick an extremely biased definition from your link, pretending that to be the definition.

How about this one from your link.

""Woke" is most commonly used as an insult aimed towards people with progressive ideals, and depending on who you ask it could range from describing someone who pretends to be open-minded, to describing any person who disagrees with conservative values, to anyone who attempts positive depictions of women and minorities in media."

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/61876/11-words-meanings-have-changed-drastically-over-time

You can also search for "words that have changed meaning over time" and see many results.

OK, but not in 2 or 3 years and promulgated by a handful of far right extremists who deliberately misused the work to insult their political opponents. The far right distortion of the word has no validity.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You really did pick an extremely biased definition from your link, pretending that to be the definition.

How about this one from your link.

""Woke" is most commonly used as an insult aimed towards people with progressive ideals, and depending on who you ask it could range from describing someone who pretends to be open-minded, to describing any person who disagrees with conservative values, to anyone who attempts positive depictions of women and minorities in media."

That's the point. The various meanings of this kitchen sink epithet has no definition. It can be applied at will as an insult for any reason or no reason.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Nope, I just didn't pick the definition you had liked.

I was actually waiting for you to reply

37 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Magas trying to define woke can be entertaining. 

Didn't watch them all but I did this one. Classic, a must watch in my view. DeSantis staffers were asked to define woke in a court hearing, sounds about right!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Didn't watch them all but I did this one. Classic, a must watch in my view. DeSantis staffers were asked to define woke in a court hearing, sounds about right!

Their campaign definitions are entirely different, referring to cultural Marxism..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Yes but they had to tell the truth in court. Rather than the pack of lies they tell on campaigns

Yes exactly. 

Very revealing. 

In the unlikely event DeSantis is nominated using that hypocrisy would be good for democratic campaign ads.

11 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Nope, I just didn't pick the definition you had liked.

I was actually waiting for you to reply

Your definition definitely is based.

But good to hear you value my opinion, hope you put my wise words to good use.

7 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

So you're just going to ignore all the incorrect things you have said?

You choose your bathroom based on your sexuality? Seriously? You're completely wrong, based on your quoted definition of sexuality, but you're just going to ignore that?

How do you expect to have any sort of meaningful discussion with someone if you ignore what they say, pretend you haven't made many mistakes and slander them?

I have stayed perfectly on the point I originally raised with you and have been more specific, not vague.

Your comment, sadly, suggests trolling.

If a man identifies as a woman that is an expression of sexuality, not a gender issue.  If such a trans-woman wants to use the women's bathroom, that is a sexuality issue. 

How can you expect to have any sort of meaningful discussion with someone when you insist that your definitions of terms, not the dictionary definitions, are the definitions that must be used?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/5/2023 at 11:03 AM, BangkokReady said:

Why are you asking me to provide evidence of something you claim that everybody knows?

I wrote that everyone has experienced the use of the word "woke". It doesn't mean that some mischievous parties might offer a false definition on purpose. That's why there's such a thing as lexicographers. These are scholars who study the meanings of words. These are the people we should trust, not some anonymous party on aseannow with a politcal axe to grind. As the landing page of this forum clearly states:

"Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1