Trump doesn’t like the term ‘woke’: ‘Half the people can’t even define it’

onthedarkside

2 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

It seems you've swallowed the DeSantis favourite term, the "woke mind virus"

The majority of us are immune to cheap name calling based on negative interpretations by a minority group of right wingers and take the traditional stance that we are awake to injustice and discrimination for all. Its really very simple. I get no personal gain from it, I've lived my life like that and that's how my children were brought up.

They can't say the quiet part out loud, that is they want to protect the rich and remove benefits for the poor. So they have to use unintelligible epithets like woke and cultural marxism to try to define what the dems are doing as bad without actually describing what they are doing. Otherwise their useful idiots would turn against them because most of the far right are deeply poor but buy into the scapegoat politics and racism rather than voting in their own interests.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

It's not an opinion.  It's simply how it is being used.

I'm delivering some information.  Helping those who are unsure of how the word is being used.

What you choose to do with that information (including getting irrationally worked up about it) is up to you.  ????‍♂️

It is your opinion.

In my view an incorrect one.

The word is so perverted now that is used for anything and everything right wingers don't like and there is a lot they don't like.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It is your opinion.

The word is so perverted now that is used for anything and everything right wingers don't like and there is a lot they don't like.

The same way they took politically correct and it became a pejorative way to say politeness or common courtesy.  Never liked that term myself, evoked thoughts of Germany 1933.

6 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm delivering some information.  Helping those who are unsure of how the word is being used.

What you choose to do with that information (including getting irrationally worked up about it) is up to you.  ????‍♂️

You edited my response and left out the link that disproves what you claim. I don't entertain dishonest debates. End of

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It is your opinion.

It's not an opinion.  It is a fact.

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's used how I said it is used.

You don't like it, so you're making things up about it.

1 hour ago, heybruce said:

The danger of what? 

The danger of people with male bodies, and even "men", being allowed in women's private spaces.

Are you afraid of people being honest about their sexuality?

This is about gender, not sexuality.

I know that people can not communicate unless they agree on the meaning of the words they use.

Which is probably exactly why people are denying the new meaning of the word "woke".  To attempt to prevent communication about something they do not like.

A good point to consider.

When I asked where your new definition came from, I meant give a source. 

I'm not sure I can give one single source, I'm afraid.

Do you expect us to believe that you are in charge of defining words?

What a silly thing to say.  As I said, I'm merely reporting how it is being used.

7 hours ago, bendejo said:

The same way they took politically correct and it became a pejorative way to say politeness or common courtesy.  Never liked that term myself, evoked thoughts of Germany 1933.

They didn't though.  Politically correct took on slightly negative connotations because of how it was used.  It never got to the same levels as "woke" has.  That's why we have the phrase "political correctness gone mad".

28 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

It's not an opinion.  It is a fact.

It's used how I said it is used.

You don't like it, so you're making things up about it.

Not a fact no matter if you say it's a fact a million times.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

They didn't though.  Politically correct took on slightly negative connotations because of how it was used.  It never got to the same levels as "woke" has.  That's why we have the phrase "political correctness gone mad".

I was wondering why we have that phrase. Mystery is finally solved. (Sarcasm.)

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

I'm not sure I can give one single source, I'm afraid.

What a silly thing to say.  As I said, I'm merely reporting how it is being used.

You gave a definition.  Either you invented that definition or you have a source.

The danger of people with male bodies, and even "men", being allowed in women's private spaces.

This is about gender, not sexuality.

You're afraid of "woke" because it might result in people with penises using woman's facilities?  I agree that is a concern but it is a minor one that can be dealt with in a reasonable manner if people get past their hysteria on the subject.

Identifying as a man, woman, or other is about sexuality.  Or will you invent definitions that somehow segregates sexuality from gender?

Which is probably exactly why people are denying the new meaning of the word "woke".  To attempt to prevent communication about something they do not like.

A good point to consider.

I'm still waiting for a commonly accepted "new meaning".  One from a credible source, not one that represents you opinion of what "woke" means.

11 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

Wow! Who needs the Oxford dictionary when we have the final arbiter on the English language as a member of aseannow.com  What an honour!  And if you have any doubts about the accuracy of his definitions, remember that it's because he says so and dictionaries be damned!  So keep your objections to yourself.

Edited by placeholder
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, heybruce said:

You're afraid of "woke" because it might result in people with penises using woman's facilities?

Not in the slightest.  I'm simply filling in the holes in your knowledge.

I agree that is a concern but it is a minor one that can be dealt with in a reasonable manner if people get past their hysteria on the subject.

I'm glad you are smart enough to at least acknowledge this.

Identifying as a man, woman, or other is about sexuality. 

No.  Not my idea or reasoning, but it's all about "gender".  "Gender" is apparently socially constructed, so you can change gender.

Or will you invent definitions that somehow segregates sexuality from gender?

"Sexuality" is about sexual attraction/orientation.

So the issue of who uses which toilet is one of gender, not sexuality.

Again, I'm not inventing anything.  You just don't know these things, so I am telling you.

Gender = what gender you are man/woman

Sexuality = who you find attractive men/women

Possibly you mean "biological sex"?  Which is more related to gender that sexuality is.  But most people would say that the two are sperate, hence a person with the biological sex male can use a women's bathroom, as their "gender identify" is a woman.  (Not my opinion.)

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Wow! Who needs the Oxford dictionary when we have the final arbiter on the English language as a member of aseannow.com  What an honour!  And if you have any doubts about the accuracy of his definitions, remember that it's because he says so and dictionaries be damned!  So keep your objections to yourself.

I'm simply sharing some information.  You don't need to believe it.  Feel free to do your own research and reach your own conclusions.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, heybruce said:

You gave a definition.  Either you invented that definition or you have a source.

I wouldn't know where to begin.  Perhaps it's a little too abstract or "zeitgeisty" for me to be able to produce any single source.  Such is the nature of "the internet".

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Has it ever occurred to you that asserting something is so is not the same thing as proving that it is so?

I don't need to prove anything.  I'm simply explaining how it is used.

Why would I need to "prove" that?

And what evidence is there that you've done any research since you refuse to cite your sources?

I didn't claim to do any "research".  I'm simply aware of how it is being used through experiencing it.

• Haha 2

Thanks for the permission. And with your permission or without your permission some of us going to go on questioning your assertions. Has it ever occurred to you that asserting something is so is not the same thing as proving that it is so? And what evidence is there that you've done any research since you refuse to cite your sources?

Random cut and pastes from God knows where presented as facts. The arrogance is extraordinary. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1