Trump doesn’t like the term ‘woke’: ‘Half the people can’t even define it’

onthedarkside

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

The word is misused, not used. MAGA people are illiterate, simple as that. The MAGA usage is not in the dictionary. How hard can it be to use the word in accordance with the dictionary definition unless the intention is to use it as a pejorative which is absolutely the intention of MAGA.

What on Earth makes you think that it is only used by "MAGA people"?  This simply isn't true.

Words can change meanings.

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

What on Earth makes you think that it is only used by "MAGA people"?  This simply isn't true.

Ask Merriam Webster or Cambridge whether the meaning has changed.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

No!

You lied!

You accused me of denying the existence of a term.

I never did.

This is the straw that broke the camel's back.

Waste of time engaging further.

GOODBYE

Oh yes, I remember now.  Once you have exhausted all other avenues of denial and are proven wrong, out come the accusations.  ????

2 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

PC is the old woke. PC was 1990s. Woke is 2020s. 

It is just leftists complaining about minor things.

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Ask Merriam Webster or Cambridge whether the meaning has changed.

Why?  Dictionaries don't have a monopoly on word meanings.  Where do you think they get their words from in the first place?  That's right, from people.

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

What? Am I supposed to say? "That word you used but that I can't repeat is not in accordance with the dictionary definition? Did I get that right?

You could simply be intellectually honest.  "MAGA" people are not the only people that use the new meaning of "woke".  But you appear to not want to acknowledge that, likely because you then lose the power of being able to discredit them through labelling them as "MAGA".

9 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

You could simply be intellectually honest.  "MAGA" people are not the only people that use the new meaning of "woke".  But you appear to not want to acknowledge that, likely because you then lose the power of being able to discredit them through labelling them as "MAGA".

Absolutely no. Nobody goes around saying the equivalent of "I'm woke". Nobody.

The reason is that they know the MAGA fascists use it as a pejorative.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

General suggestion.

Don't feed the

Now you're trying to pretend I'm a troll?!!  I've patiently and reasonably explained my point and I've provided evidence to support it.

This stinks of an ad-hom.  Possibly hoping to get my comments considered to be trolling and removed.

Very sad to see.

1 minute ago, ozimoron said:

Not that I'm aware of. Could you give me an example please?

You haven't been following the thread?  You've replied to me multiple times and this is the point I am discussing.

I gave a detailed explanation and posted evidence.

I'm not sure how you could miss it.

Just now, BangkokReady said:

You haven't been following the thread?  You've replied to me multiple times and this is the point I am discussing.

I gave a detailed explanation and posted evidence.

I'm not sure how you could miss it.

Pretty sure what I was asking is an example of usage of "woke" by non maga people in a context other than complaining about the misuse and general insulting nature it is used.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Pretty sure what I was asking is an example of usage of "woke" by non maga people in a context other than complaining about the misuse and general insulting nature it is used.

Ah, you seem to be expanding your claim a little based on what I have said.

Based on what you originally said, yes, that is what I was talking about.

19 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

Ah, you seem to be expanding your claim a little based on what I have said.

Based on what you originally said, yes, that is what I was talking about.

No, it is precisely what I asked for the first time.

Here is the chain.

"Absolutely no. Nobody goes around saying the equivalent of "I'm woke". Nobody."

"The reason is that they know the MAGA fascists use it as a pejorative."

45 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

No.  They (non-"MAGA" people) call other things "woke" as a criticism.

"Not that I'm aware of. Could you give me an example please?"

"Pretty sure what I was asking is an example of usage of "woke" by non maga people in a context other than complaining about the misuse and general insulting nature it is used."

Edited by ozimoron
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

A smaller point, MAGA doesn't have a clear meaning except that (in my understanding) it means middle class blue collar workers (who are entitled to respect, like all human beings) who still believe that trump will being all their jobs back to the US, which is of course totally not logical / not realistic.

So many Americans want democracy and capitalism, and capitalism means reducing costs to gain the highest possible margins. Many US (and other) companies see that they can produce their goods at much reduced cost in China, in Malaysia, In Bangladesh, in Indonesia and more places so they dismiss their US employees and manufacture offshore. 

And the MAGA folks still believe trump will reverse all of this. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

A smaller point, MAGA doesn't have a clear meaning except that (in my understanding) it means middle class blue collar workers (who are entitled to respect, like all human beings) who still believe that trump will being all their jobs back to the US, which is of course totally not logical / not realistic.

So many Americans want democracy and capitalism, and capitalism means reducing costs to gain the highest possible margins. Many US (and other) companies see that they can produce their goods at much reduced cost in China, in Malaysia, In Bangladesh, in Indonesia and more places so they dismiss their US employees and manufacture offshore. 

In fact, automation and AI will accelerate the process of blue collar job loss. White collar too. Corporations are bound by their constitutions to maximise shareholder profit every way quasi legal.

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Maga now means

Anti democracy 

Pro authoritarianism

Isolationism

Anti press freedom

Pro criminalization of opposition journalists 

Pro right wing loyalty oaths for government employees 

Anti intellectual 

Demonizing expertise and experience 

Racism

Anti abortion rights

Homophobia 

Transphobia

Putin adjacent 

Anti Ukraine 

Pro big lie

Pro insurrectionist 

Sympathy for right wing domestic terrorism

Support for boycotting companies allying with LGBT

Pro revisionist history to erase black and LGBT history

Book banning

Constant antisemitic dog whistles 

A messianic cult

Learn from history.

It can't happen here?

It is happening here.

It started January 6.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, scorecard said:

However, the term blue collar may be misleading, in relation to your explanation. A TV repairman is not in competition with foreign workers, although he's classified as blue collar. 

There are only 11 million people employed in manufacturing (incl. Non -blue collars).

So it is only a partial explanation for the MAGA phenomenon.

I think It's about power. Trump gave dome people, who have no power and influence in their lives, the feeling that they had some power. Even if often, this power is only negative (constraining others).

28 minutes ago, scorecard said:

And I have my doubts whether trump understands the word / what it means.

I'm convinced we could get DeSantis to enforce stricter regulations on gun rights if we tell him the gun nuts have gone all woke.....lol

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

No, it is precisely what I asked for the first time.

Here is the chain.

"Absolutely no. Nobody goes around saying the equivalent of "I'm woke". Nobody."

"The reason is that they know the MAGA fascists use it as a pejorative."

"Not that I'm aware of. Could you give me an example please?"

"Pretty sure what I was asking is an example of usage of "woke" by non maga people in a context other than complaining about the misuse and general insulting nature it is used."

No. You switched from only "MAGA" types using it to it being "MAGA" plus people who use the word as an insult.

I think you've pretty much shown your hand.

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Maga now means

Anti democracy 

Pro authorianism

Isolationism

Anti press freedom

Pro criminalization of opposition journalists 

Racism

Anti abortion rights

Homophobia 

Transphobia

Putin adjacent 

Anti Ukraine 

Pro big lie

Pro insurrectionist 

Sympathy for right wing domestic terrorism

Support for boycotting companies allyung with LGBT

Pro revisionist history to erase black and LGBT history

Book banning

Constant antisemitic dog whistles 

A messianic cult

Learn from history 

Whoa now! You can't just go changing the meaning of a word just like that! ????

10 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

The danger of people with male bodies, and even "men", being allowed in women's private spaces.

This is about gender, not sexuality.

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

What are you talking about?  The above literally supports what I told you and goes against what you said when it comes to sexuality, and the gender thing is not how it is being applied today.

The whole toilet thing is about what you "identify as".  Not my terminology or opinion.

Do some research before you embarrass yourself further.

Again, not true.  I was responding to you.

Again, you're completely wrong here.  You think that people choose their bathrooms based on whether they're gay or straight?  This is simply not true and is ridiculous.

You're making no sense, again.

Please go back and read what you have written previously.  I'd rather not waste time on you posting evidence that supports what I said thinking it supports what you said, or crazy talk about toilets being chosen based on being gay or straight.

This side-bar nonsense began because you apparently think the greatest danger of "woke" is transgender men using women's restrooms.  You have never been clear as to why that is such a big deal for you, and your follow-on posts have been getting vaguer but much more insistent that you are right about something, though I'm not sure what.

I see no point in pursuing your obsession any further.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1