Trump doesn’t like the term ‘woke’: ‘Half the people can’t even define it’

onthedarkside

These six proposals are more unpopular than not:

And these two proposals attract plurality — but not majority — backing (in large part because of overwhelming support from Republicans):

https://news.yahoo.com/poll-no-bump-for-desantis-from-2024-launch-as-trump-continues-to-climb-215316347.html

• Like 2

Interesting article:

GOP attacks on woke America are ‘hypocrisy of the highest order’

When pressed, Republicans have a hard time defining “woke,” so the folks at USA Today did it for them. Most Americans thought the word “woke” meant “to be informed, educated on and aware of social injustice.” Only one-third of the public thought it meant “to be overtly politically correct and police others’ thoughts.” Republicans like to rail against drag queens — but woke really means respect for all Americans regardless of race and sexual preference.

The GOP’s affinity for cultural warfare and its apparent hostility to social justice is the trigger to a demographic time bomb that could damage the Republican Party for a generation.

https://thehill.com/opinion/campaign/3904322-gop-attacks-on-woke-america-are-hypocrisy-of-the-highest-order/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

"Anything I don't like isn’t a real thing."

Good luck with that. ????

Not anything snookums.

Interesting but unsurprising that fascist DeSantis refers to cultural Marxism in his vile kill woke political crusade.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_Marxism_conspiracy_theory

The term "Cultural Marxism" refers to a far-right antisemitic conspiracy theory which misrepresents the Frankfurt School as being responsible for modern progressive movements, identity politics, and political correctness. The conspiracy theory posits that there is an ongoing and intentional academic and intellectual effort to subvert Western society via a planned culture war that undermines the Christian values of traditionalist conservatism and seeks to replace them with culturally liberal values.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Words are not so fluid that we can just step outside the dictionary definition and expect to be understood.

Words can take on a new meaning, if enough people use them as such.

It's not even really an entirely new meaning, it's more like a negative variation.

You can call it a colloquialism if you like, but the meaning I gave is how it is now being used.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not anything snookums.

Interesting but unsurprising that fascist DeSantis refers to cultural Marxism in his vile kill woke political crusade.

The term "Cultural Marxism" refers to a far-right antisemitic conspiracy theory which misrepresents the Frankfurt School as being responsible for modern progressive movements, identity politics, and political correctness. The conspiracy theory posits that there is an ongoing and intentional academic and intellectual effort to subvert Western society via a planned culture war that undermines the Christian values of traditionalist conservatism and seeks to replace them with culturally liberal values.

"Everything I don't like is a Nazi conspiracy theory."

You've got a lively set tonight kiddo. Some real side-splitters. ????

Just now, BangkokReady said:

Words can take on a new meaning, if enough people use them as such.

It's not even really an entirely new meaning, it's more like a negative variation.

You can call it a colloquialism if you like, but the meaning I gave is how it is now being used.

but the meaning I gave is how it is now being used.

According to you and a minority of other people.

So your definition:

New definition (negative): Trying to pander and virtue signal, making it appear that someone is trying to help the groups from the old definition but are actually doing so purely for personal gain.  (E.g. "Go woke, go broke.")

What makes you think the woke group is doing it purely for personal gain and what is that gain? Have you ever thought they are doing it through empathy for peoples rights?

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

According to you and a minority of other people.

Sure. That's what you're going to get on a forum. That's how it's now used and what it now means, in my experience.

10 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

What makes you think the woke group is doing it purely for personal gain and what is that gain? Have you ever thought they are doing it through empathy for peoples rights?

Becuase it's done in a way that makes it clear. Mostly it's something like film or media, marketing, celebrities on social media. It's simply very obvious.

It seems they want to virtue signal, push their own agenda, maybe take revenge on a rival group for some reason.

No, because they don't appear to be doing that. If they were, it would be obvious.

The thing you're possibly missing, is to fit under this new meaning to "woke", it has to be fairly obvious what is going on. Pandering, virtue signally, it's all very clear.

It's also associated with making the thing in question look very bad.

Edited by BangkokReady
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Have you ever thought they are doing it through empathy for peoples rights?

The thing is, even of they were doing something with the intention to help a group, if they're making things worse, just to tick a box, then it isn't a positive thing, in my opinion.

Woke is often used in describing some sort of artistic endeavour, where people just stick a minority into a story where it makes it considerably worse. That might be done with good intentions (although probably not), but it's still overall a bad thing.

The thing is, even of they were doing something with the intention to help a group, if they're making things worse, just to tick a box, then it isn't a positive thing, in my opinion.

Woke is often used in describing some sort of artistic endeavour, where people just stick a minority into a story where it makes it considerably worse. That might be done with good intentions (although probably not), but it's still overall a bad thing.

It seems you've swallowed the DeSantis favourite term, the "woke mind virus"

The majority of us are immune to cheap name calling based on negative interpretations by a minority group of right wingers and take the traditional stance that we are awake to injustice and discrimination for all. Its really very simple. I get no personal gain from it, I've lived my life like that and that's how my children were brought up.

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

It seems you've swallowed the DeSantis favourite term, the "woke mind virus"

Not in the slightest. It's simply a word being used to describe a phenomenon.

You can deny it all you want, but i disagree.

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The majority of us are immune to cheap name calling based on negative interpretations by a minority group of right wingers and take the traditional stance that we are awake to injustice and discrimination for all. Its really very simple. I get no personal gain from it, I've lived my life like that and that's how my children were brought up.

I'm not sure how this is all relevant. I haven't suggested that you do anything.

I understand you don't like the term, but if you're not doing what it describes, then it isn't being aimed at you.

Not in the slightest. It's simply a word being used to describe a phenomenon.

You can deny it all you want, but i disagree.

I'm not sure how this is all relevant. I haven't suggested that you do anything.

I understand you don't like the term, but if you're not doing what it describes, then it isn't being aimed at you.

I said the majority of us are immune to cheap name calling. No virus here and your interpretation is just that, your opinion not factually based.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I said the majority of us are immune to cheap name calling.

Who said anything about cheap name calling? That's your interpretation of it, not the reality.

No virus here

Who said anything about you having any kind of virus? Quite an odd response.

You seem to be talking as though someone is attacking you, which I don't believe anyone is doing.

and your interpretation is just that, your opinion not factually based.

No. It's not my opinion. I'm explaining how the word is being used. That isn't an opinion.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BangkokReady said:

Who said anything about cheap name calling? That's your interpretation of it, not the reality.

Who said anything about you having any kind of virus? Quite an odd response.

You seem to be talking as though someone is attacking you, which I don't believe anyone is doing.

No. It's not my opinion. I'm explaining how the word is being used. That isn't an opinion.

What are you talking about. DeSantis splutters out woke in just about every sentence calls it the "woke mind virus". Of course its cheap name calling. Ron DeSantis Mocks Liberal “Woke Mind Virus”

You are only explaining how the word is being used from your perspective not the majority of other people as in the links I've already provided in this thread.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

What are you talking about. DeSantis splutters out woke in just about every sentence calls it the "woke mind virus". Of course its cheap name calling. Ron DeSantis Mocks Liberal “Woke Mind Virus”

Who said I was describing specifically how DeSantis is using it?

You appear to be adding things yourself and then getting mad at them. Or perhaps attacking them? As though they were a man made of straw...? 

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You are only explaining how the word is being used from your perspective not the majority of other people as in the links I've already provided in this thread.

No. I'm explaining, objectively, how the word is being used now, in terms of the new negative meaning.

You don't like that, but you can't talk it into not being what is happening.

You appear to be adding things yourself and then getting mad at them. Or perhaps attacking them? As though they were a man made of straw...? 

No. I'm explaining, objectively, how the word is being used now, in terms of the new negative meaning.

I never claimed you were bringing in DeSantis but you may want to look at the topic OP and see why its brought in. Nothing to do with me creating a strawman.

Like I said you claim that's how the word is being used now. That's only your opinion and not that of the majority of people.

A new USA TODAY/Ipsos Poll found a that majority of Americans, including 78% of Democrats and 37% of Republicans, see “woke” in a positive light, and define the term as “to be informed, educated on and aware of social injustices.” 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/columnist/2023/03/10/what-does-woke-mean-republicans/11427923002/

• Like 2

I don't understand why so many of these right-wingers get all worked up about who is using whose toilet.  It makes me wonder just what they are doing in there that gives them such an odd fascination with what everybody else is doing.  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Credo said:

I don't understand why so many of these right-wingers get all worked up about who is using whose toilet.  It makes me wonder just what they are doing in there that gives them such an odd fascination with what everybody else is doing.  

If we are talking about male "open" urinals then yes I do not want "wrong/woke etc" sexed, they/them/it/me etc people in there. Only males should be having a p!ss in a MALE urinal!

Closed cubicle toilets I don't give a sh!t about!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

If we are talking about male "open" urinals then yes I do not want "wrong/woke etc" sex people in there.

Closed cubicle toilets I don't give a s!!t about!

You mean you don't want those perverse cleaning ladies we see in Thai public toilets?

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Credo said:

You mean you don't want those perverse cleaning ladies we see in Thai public toilets?

What a crass statement!

What is perverse about someone who has to take such low paid job which I, and I bet, no one on this forum would want to undertake!

PS;  These jobs are undertaken in countries outside of just Thailand!

Edited by scottiejohn
PS Added

1 hour ago, BangkokReady said:

"Everything I don't like is a Nazi conspiracy theory."

You've got a lively set tonight kiddo. Some real side-splitters. ????

I'm not the fascist major presidential candidate focusing on an antisemitic conspiracy theory, eh?

• Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Credo said:

Minds in the gutter?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, BangkokReady said:

That's rich 

You have the objective definition. 

Wonders never cease.

37 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's rich 

You have the objective definition. 

Wonders never cease.

I'm not sure what you mean.  I'm explaining how it's being used; what it means now.  If you don't like it, I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it.  There's little point in arguing with me about how people use the word.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Like I said you claim that's how the word is being used now. That's only your opinion and not that of the majority of people.

It's not an opinion.  It's simply how it is being used.

I'm delivering some information.  Helping those who are unsure of how the word is being used.

What you choose to do with that information (including getting irrationally worked up about it) is up to you.  ????‍♂️

1 hour ago, Credo said:

I don't understand why so many of these right-wingers get all worked up about who is using whose toilet.

It isn't a right-wing/left-wing issue.  People try to claim that, but that is simply an effort to discredit people.

It's quite a mainstream issue and a lot of people have an issue with penises and people that resemble men in women's private spaces.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Not anything snookums.

I really hope they succeed.

• Confused 1