Florida’s ban on gender-affirming care for minors also limits access for trans adults

onthedarkside

image.png.b2b99a44da8410a56793fe4f0d8ebfdc.png

Debate surrounding Florida’s new restrictions on gender-affirming care focused largely on transgender children. But a new law that Republican presidential candidate and Gov. Ron DeSantis signed last month also made it difficult – even impossible – for many transgender adults to get treatment.

Eli and Lucas, trans men who are a couple, followed the discussions in the Legislature, where Democrats warned that trans children would be more prone to suicide under a ban on gender-affirming care for minors and Republicans responded with misplaced tales of mutilated kids.

READ MORE

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/floridas-ban-on-gender-affirming-care-for-minors-also-limits-access-for-trans-adults

image.png.279ce076fe85726d776b4ebb277c1fbf.png

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Waa!  There's nothing in the bill that restricts treatment for adults... a private company changed its course and quit providing treatment... it remains the company's right to make that decision either way.  

I suggest you read the article in full, its not just one provider that is changing its procedures due to this bill.

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

I suggest you read the article in full, its not just one provider that is changing its procedures due to this bill.

Reading the article, not restricted, just better regulated for adults, and probably equals more expensive.  Many may not want to spend that much, hence why some 'companies' without docs, or better profit margin, if complying, decide to stop providing services.

Supply, demand & profitability would be more of the issue, not restricted by law.

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Reading the article, not restricted, just better regulated for adults, and probably equals more expensive.  Many may not want to spend that much, hence why some 'companies' without docs, or better profit margin, if complying, decide to stop providing services.

Supply, demand & profitability would be more of the issue, not restricted by law.

Stricter regulations = more ristricted. The same as any bill intended to reduce an outcome. Unfortunely not the most important bill on ristrictions needed in Florida

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Stricter regulations = more ristricted. The same as any bill intended to reduce an outcome. Unfortunely not the most important bill on ristrictions needed in Florida

Stricter regulation = proper medical care by professionals, same with all medical services and distribution of pharmaceuticals and health care.

Nothing being restricted to adults.  

Regulations work, usually and in theory.  Building, motor vehicles, firearms and yes, healthcare.

Minors shouldn't have unregulated healthcare, till mature enough to make those decisions ... IMHO, and apparently those people, parents, who vote for the representatives the make that laws.  Not to be dictated by special interest groups.

It's called democracy ... what Floridians wants, they get.  End of ....

Don't like it, vote or move elsewhere.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Stricter regulation = proper medical care by professionals, same with all medical services and distribution of pharmaceuticals and health care.

Regulations work, usually and in theory.  Building, motor vehicles, firearms and yes, healthcare.

Minors shouldn't have unregulated healthcare, till mature enough to make those decisions ... IMHO, and apparently those people, parents, who vote for the representatives the make that laws.  Not to be dictated by special interest groups.

Agreed, stricter regulations work and also agreed, they can move else where just as DeSantis wish. "Florida is where woke dies"

More than half of LGBTQ parents in Florida say they are considering leaving the state

More than half of LGBTQ parents in Florida are considering moving their families to another state over concerns that a new Florida education law – known to its critics as the “Don’t Say Gay” law – stigmatizes LGBTQ identities and creates a hostile learning environment for LGBTQ children or students with LGBTQ family members.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/3828490-more-than-half-of-lgbtq-parents-in-florida-say-they-are-considering-leaving-the-state/

Pity those regulations that work weren't also applied to more serious problems in gun control but that's a different topic and not considered woke by DeSantis

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Agreed, stricter regulations work and also agreed, they can move else where just as DeSantis wish. "Florida is where woke dies"

More than half of LGBTQ parents in Florida say they are considering leaving the state

More than half of LGBTQ parents in Florida are considering moving their families to another state over concerns that a new Florida education law – known to its critics as the “Don’t Say Gay” law – stigmatizes LGBTQ identities and creates a hostile learning environment for LGBTQ children or students with LGBTQ family members.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/3828490-more-than-half-of-lgbtq-parents-in-florida-say-they-are-considering-leaving-the-state/

Pity those regulations that work weren't also applied to more serious problems in gun control but that's a different topic and not considered woke by DeSantis

FL being the 2nd largest 'gay favored state' by population (not per capita) it seems most of the silent 'majority' are quite happy there.

Most folks that think FL isn't gay friendly, have never been to Ft. Lauderdale area, Miami area or the Keys.   Along with all the other areas of FL I've been to, east & west coast.

Ignorance is Bliss

Edited by KhunLA

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

FL being the 2nd largest 'gay favored state' by population (not per capita) it seems most of the silent 'majority' are quite happy there.

Most folks that think FL isn't gay friendly, have never been to Ft. Lauderdale area, Miami area or the Keys.   Along with all the other areas of FL I've been to, east & west coast.

Ignorance is Bliss

You missed the link, it was at one time, times are changing with all the draconian anti woke mind virus rhetoric and bills put into place by DeSantis

24 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

You missed the link, it was at one time, times are changing with all the draconian anti woke mind virus rhetoric and bills put into place by DeSantis

Put in place by the representatives of the voters, not DeSantis.  He simply didn't veto them.

I doubt very much if there will be a mass exodus of the gay community, as they are accepted and live normally like everyone else. 

Just more of the vocal minority wanting attention.   If they don't agree, shut up, and just file a lawsuit, and let the courts sort it out.

They do themselves a disservice with their constant, 'we're oppressed' routine.  'Look at us, we have rights also'

Same rights of everyone else.  Don't like it, do something within the system, that's your right also, but please, shut up already ... it's annoying.

Edited by KhunLA

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Put in place by the representatives of the voters, not DeSantis.  He simply didn't veto them.

I doubt very much if there will be a mass exodus of the gay community, as they are accepted and live normally like everyone else. 

Just more of the vocal minority wanting attention.   If they don't agree, shut up, and just file a lawsuit, and let the courts sort it out.

They do themselves a disservice with their constant, 'we're oppressed' routine.  'Look at us, we have rights also'

Same rights of everyone else.  Don't like it, do something within the system, that's your right also, but please, shut up already ... it's annoying.

Steered at the helm by DeSantis:

DeSantis rallies Republicans with attack on left’s ‘woke mind virus’

The Republicans don't want anyone to have gov sponsored health care. Remember "repeal then replace" lie head of the party spouted? He had nothing to replace.

Republicans will chip away anywhere and everywhere they can to cut health services in Florida. Woke up and smell the coffee

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Steered at the helm by DeSantis:

DeSantis rallies Republicans with attack on left’s ‘woke mind virus’

Didn't and not going to watch it, but the title is enough for me to agree.

I'm tired of the 'woke mindset', 'cancel culture', 'me too', 'believe every woman' agenda.  Left/right/rep/dem, labels of this & that.

Special interest groups, don't interest me, they aren't special.  Stop with the labels, and division, and people might actually start having conversations, get along, and sort their differences out, and be more accepting to new, different ideas.

Shouting 'my way is the only way' simply never worked.  If someone says I represent this group. I stop listening.

Have a nice day.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, KhunLA said:

Didn't and not going to watch it, but the title is enough for me to agree.

I'm tired of the 'woke mindset', 'cancel culture', 'me too', 'believe every woman' agenda.  Left/right, labels or this & that.

Special interest groups, don't interest me, they are special.  Stop with the labels, and division, and people might actually start having conversations, get along, and sort their differences out, and be more accepting to new, different ideas.

Shouting 'my way is the only way' simply never worked.  If someone says I represent this group. I stop listening.

Have a nice day.

Well you responded to me and now you decide not to even watch the direct speech that confirms my claims.

Indeed, have a nice day

• Thanks 1

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

Well you responded to me and now you decide not to even watch the direct speech that confirms my claims.

Indeed, have a nice day

TBH, I don't live in FL, if I did, since not having kids, wouldn't affect me.  Since I agree with what I've read about it (very little, just on AN), then I really don't care who proposed it, or signed into law.

Guessing a speech of DeSantis, agreeing with or pushing the same.  Don't need to hear him say what you and others tell me he is saying.   Wasted enough time on this topic/thread. 

It's a lovely day outside, and the dog is staring at me.   Must be time to go to the park, as coffee is finished anyway.  Hopefully another day of rain, and prep for another O&A ... back to Phuket tomorrow.   

My priorities, not goy healthcare in FL ... ????

THANKS, have a good one also.

At the heart of the article, finally, is the actual legal change that is being done:

The new law that bans gender-affirming care for minors also mandates that adult patients seeking trans health care sign an informed consent form. It also requires a physician to oversee any health care related to transitioning, and for people to see that doctor in person.

That seems like common sense to me. These are literally life altering decisions and cannot be reversed with any degree of success. What is so terrible about getting direct care from a doctor before allowing a person to mutilate themself or take chemical castration medicine? 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Good to see you're defending strict regulations by government. Long overdue.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

At the heart of the article, finally, is the actual legal change that is being done:

The new law that bans gender-affirming care for minors also mandates that adult patients seeking trans health care sign an informed consent form. It also requires a physician to oversee any health care related to transitioning, and for people to see that doctor in person.

That seems like common sense to me. These are literally life altering decisions and cannot be reversed with any degree of success. What is so terrible about getting direct care from a doctor before allowing a person to mutilate themself or take chemical castration medicine? 

In fact, chemical castration is not permanent. So unless you believe, as you apparently do, that physical castration can be performed via the internet, what's your point?

What's more, Florida has extended the statute of limitations for this procedure to 20 years. Why is it being singled out? 

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

In fact, chemical castration is not permanent. So unless you believe, as you apparently do, that physical castration can be performed via the internet, what's your point?

What's more, Florida has extended the statute of limitations for this procedure to 20 years. Why is it being singled out? 

I am trying to figure out what the objections are to this law.  Doctors are needed to prescribe powerful, potential life altering drugs.  The article seems like the usual fear-mongering that accompanies any issue related to Florida these days. 

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

I am trying to figure out what the objections are to this law.  Doctors are needed to prescribe powerful, potential life altering drugs.  The article seems like the usual fear-mongering that accompanies any issue related to Florida these days. 

Doctors prescribe all sorts of powerful medications via telehealth systems. It's obviously disingenuous to be singling out transgender care.  And what does it mean to say "potential life altering drugs". Isn't insulin a "potential life altering drug" too? Has the state of Florida sngled out diabetics for special attention? Has it extended the statute of limitations for treatment of diabetes to 20 years? 

17 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Doctors prescribe all sorts of powerful medications via telehealth systems. It's obviously disingenuous to be singling out transgender care.  And what does it mean to say "potential life altering drugs". Isn't insulin a "potential life altering drug" too? Has the state of Florida sngled out diabetics for special attention? Has it extended the statute of limitations for treatment of diabetes to 20 years? 

Actually, the bill has an exception for prescription renewals. Only the signing of the consent form has to be done in person. After that it is not necessary. 

16 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Actually, the bill has an exception for prescription renewals. Only the signing of the consent form has to be done in person. After that it is not necessary. 

So not about  prescribing "powerful, potential powerful life altering drug"?

It also requires that doctors oversee the treatment, not nurse practitioners. So nurse practitioners can oversee treatment for diabetes but not these treatments? Any evidence that these treatments are more dangerous than treatments that nurse practitioners routinely oversee? What is that case is that doctors' fees are higher than those of nurse practitioners.

And why the extension of the statute of limitations for this particular procedure? Not intended to discourage medical practitioners from treating would-be patients?

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, placeholder said:

So not about  prescribing "powerful, potential powerful life altering drug"?

It also requires that doctors oversee the treatment, not nurse practitioners. So nurse practitioners can oversee treatment for diabetes but not these treatments? Any evidence that these treatments are more dangerous than treatments that nurse practitioners routinely oversee? What is that case is that doctors' fees are higher than those of nurse practitioners.

And why the extension of the statute of limitations for this particular procedure? Not intended to discourage medical practitioners from treating would-be patients?

Yes, only doctors can prescribe these drugs. Is there a problem with that? These drugs alter and destroy your body.

7 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Yes, only doctors can prescribe these drugs. Is there a problem with that? These drugs alter and destroy your body.

No, they do not destroy one's body except insofar as all medications carry some degree of risk. But the effect of these drugs is reversible. Nurse practitioners have routinely been prescribing these drugs, just as they routinely prescribe others. Is there any evidence that their supervision of cases has resulted in an inordinate amount of harm?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Good to see you're defending strict regulations by government. Long overdue.

Not a fan of nanny states, but when administering meds & procedures, to kids or adults, then some oversight is needed.

Sadly, with some things, people need protection from themselves.

On 6/5/2023 at 6:13 AM, Bkk Brian said:

So what if all the companies change their course... it their right to do so... it not mandated in the law as the article implies.

• Confused 1