The history of Thailand’s holy-day alcohol ban – and why it could soon be lifted

webfact

23 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Live and let live.

The medieval laws do absolutely nothing against alcoholism just hurt the business particularly in tourist areas.

Medieval is a useful word to describe Thailand's social order, laws, beliefs and customs. They want to keep it that way so let them.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

On these threads there are always a few geniuses who make such comments “If you can’t go without booze for a day you have a problem”.....   such responses are so ridiculously dim.

Thailand markets itself as a major tourist destination, as such the alcohol laws are ridiculously prohibitive and short sighted. 

Any tourist who fancies a beer or wine with their dinner is going to be disappointed at the ridiculous nature of this regulation - they’ll feel as if they are on a school trip !!!

There was recently a football tournament in Bangkok...  Teams from all over in various age groups (Open, 35+, 45+, 55+)... with numbers of teams arriving internationally for a fun two day tournament... Having spent the money to travel here many were disappointed to find they couldn’t have post game beers on Saturday....  

It’s an embarrassment for Thailand that acts with such hypocritical purity. 

That hypocritical purity is Thailand. Don't you understand? 

Protecting those bizarre religious customs is tantamount to protecting their national security. That is the conservative view at the bedrock of their whole social order and state system.

They won't risk the slow unravelling of their culture just to sell beers to make a few foreigners happy. And why should they?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, sezze said:

For somebody who lives over there i can imagine . However , Thailand is a holiday destination.Imagine doing a roundtrip in Thailand for 3 weeks ( it has happened to people before) and going to 1 of the typical holiday cities to end the vacation and finding out everything is closed .

A tourist can survive for a day without booze.

Would you go to Saudi Arabia and complain there's no beer? 

It's no different for a Buddhist country. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

5 hours ago, 2baht said:

My opinion, if you want to drink, up to you, bottoms up! You believe what YOU want! I really dont care what you do!

Ah ok..  You've changed your mind then... You don't want all alcohol consumption banned ???

I'm glad you've seen the error in your anochronistic judgement. 

On 6/6/2023 at 9:44 AM, 2baht said:

Ban it everyday! :jap:

On 6/6/2023 at 9:56 AM, 2baht said:

The lot! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

A tourist can survive for a day without booze.

You completely miss the point. The vast majority of tourists are not the alcoholics you and other puritans want to suggest they are either deliberately missing the point or through obtusity. 

It is the underlying thinking behind such laws that on one day alcohol is fine, but the next day it is illegal is just stupid and backward thinking. 

Then there is the understanding that tourists and people like to relax, such laws make an utter mockery of common sense. 

2 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Would you go to Saudi Arabia and complain there's no beer? 

It's no different for a Buddhist country. 

Erm....  You're suggesting Saudi and Thailand are somehow even remotely similar ???

Some of the arguments on this topic display an extreme detachment from reality, but your comment above takes the biscuit... 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, kwilco said:

Drinkers are a pretty predictable group as are most people dependant of drugs.

One needs to understand that addiction or dependency on alcohol is a very complex issue, and quitting can be challenging for some individuals. So confronting it is often beyond the ken of many drinkers whilst others remain in denial as they fear facing or miscalculate the consequences of a life without the drug.

"I can give up whenever I want" is a common phrase used by drinkers – but of course, they never do. It’s merely a form of self-assurance or a way to downplay their dependency on alcohol.

The reasons for this piece of self-deception can include

Denial, by stating that they can quit whenever they want, they may be trying to convince themselves or others that they have control over their drinking habits.

Justification. It’s used as an attempt to justify current drinking behaviour. By asserting control, they feel justified in continuing to drink because they have convinced themselves and they think others, that they can stop at any time.

Then there is social pressure. In many social circles or peer groups, excessive alcohol consumption is normalized or even encouraged. By claiming they can quit whenever they want, drinkers try to deflect concerns or judgments from others about their drinking habits, often by trying to claim the others drink too….they often don’t realise they are the only one intoxicated I the room.

Other drinkers use this statement to downplay the negative consequences of their drinking. By asserting that they could quit easily, they feel that they have avoided facing the reality of the harm alcohol may be causing to their health, relationships, or other aspects of their life.

Honest question Kwilco:

Do you believe anyone who enjoys an alcoholic drink has a problematic alcohol dependency issue ?

It seems your mindset is incapable of recognising that there is balanced middle ground on the spectrum between alcoholics and non-drinkers into which most people fit. 

And, before you again take the opportunity of accusing me of being so vociferous on this issue that I must have a dependency issue, its not alcohol that I am arguing for, but the obvious polarisation that your arguments present with your position refusing to recognise anything other than the extreme fringes of the spectrum.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It is the underlying thinking behind such laws that on one day alcohol is fine, but the next day it is illegal is just stupid and backward thinking. 

Bless you ????  You haven't accepted yet that Thailand is stupid and backward thinking. There is no common sense. 

As for dumb religious laws... you'll find them the world over.

But why are you so arrogant to want to change what is sacred to the people, history and culture of a country for commercial interests?

Edited by RandolphGB
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, RandolphGB said:

Bless you ????  You haven't accepted yet that Thailand is stupid and backward thinking. There is no common sense. 

Quite the Thai-bash.... It is some of the laws I am suggesting are stupid, not all of its people. 

As for dumb religious laws... you'll find them the world over.

Agreed, and I find them 'stupid' and topics such as this present a forum to discuss such matters. 

But why are you so arrogant to want to change what is sacred to the people, history and culture of a country for commercial interests?

You clearly have no understanding of what started all these booze bans off... 

Its not culture, history or anything sacred... 

And... read the Op.. its the Move Forward Party who wish to change these regulations... Are they also arrogant ??

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/the-history-of-thailands-holy-day-alcohol-ban-and-why-it-could-soon-be-lifted/#:~:text=By 1972%2C an announcement of,to work due to hangovers.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

And... read the Op.. its the Move Forward Party who wish to change these regulations... Are they also arrogant ??

They are naive and politically inexperienced. It will be their downfall. 

A shrewd politician would have made vague promises and hidden all of their plans for change but pushed them through once in power.  

All this talk of changing alcohol laws, changing the constitution, marriage laws, sidelining the military etc etc will just be seen as a threat to national security by those who actually rule the country and they will prevent MFP from ever getting near to government. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, RandolphGB said:

They are naive and politically inexperienced. It will be their downfall. 

A shrewd politician would have made vague promises and hidden all of their plans for change but pushed them through once in power.  

All this talk of changing alcohol laws, changing the constitution, marriage laws, sidelining the military etc etc will just be seen as a threat to national security by those who actually rule the country and they will prevent MFP from ever getting near to government. 

I agree...  While I like this party and can see that they want to bring improvement their announcements are simply providing too much fuel for the old guard....  

One in particular was that Prayut would be held accountable - thats a dangerous bear to be poking.

Taksin coming back, instability, protests - I can see it all concluding in one thing... Another Military Coup and all the Military have to do is sit back and watch it all unfold. 

They (move forward) are simply giving up too much too early, they need to first consolidate their power.

Nevertheless, back on Topic - they [Move Forward Party] have identified some stupid laws and want to remove them. I also agree that the 'booze ban' days are stupid, as is the 2-5pm ban.... 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

Could I do without those two? Sure, but why should I? It would lessen my enjoyment of life and offer absolutely nothing in return.

Your healthy approach and sensible balance will surely be misinterpreted to fit Kwilco's rhetoric and you'll be accused of having dependency issues and being dishonest with yourself !!!  :whistling:

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Immerse themselves in the culture?  We clearly live on different planets.  Thailand is popular with Western males - for the same reason as it always has been.  Its popular with young people and backpackers who come to party.  If a few young girls buying and wearing 'Elephant pants' is immersing in the culture, then you could have a point.

People coming because of the ability to smoke weed?  Doubtful, the fact that weed is still illegal in many countries doesn't stop vast quantities of it being consumed every day.  You might also note that the weed that most people smoke is actually still illegal in Thailand and anyone checking out the talk of it being legal will soon find that out. THC content of 0.2% might just about get a gnat high and anything above that remains illegal. Some may feel a little free-er to smoke weed in Thailand but I doubt that affected their decision to choose the country for their holiday.

Thailand was becoming increasingly popular as a family holiday destination but with flight prices as they are currently, I suspect that market will have been sincerely curtailed.  I doubt many UK families for example, will be prepared to pay £6000 for flights (family of 4). 

Overall, whilst people may look at a few websites and read some reviews, I doubt many come to immerse themselves in the culture and I very much doubt that they will be aware of any alcohol bans. What they are most likely to have checked out is the best beaches and general sighseeing attractions.  I'm told that visits to the floating markets and places like the bridge in Kanchanaburi are still popular but I would hardly class that as ' culture immersion'.

I'll be honest, I haven't spoken to many on the subject but as a regular traveller, I do get involved in conversations with other passengers on flights and on the occasions when I've made someone aware that they are flying in to an alcohol ban, their reaction has been disbelief and disappointment.

People like a drink when they are away on holiday, whether that's getting ratted in a nightclub or a glass of wine with dinner.  I would guess that for many, its when they drink the most.

I see. You defend that tourists come here to treat Thailand as a kind of Disney park, an arena purely for their own fun. And because that is so, the Thais have to recind their own religious traditions and judicial system just to comfort ignorant mass tourists.

Maybe I am naive when I expect people in the 21st century to have self-reflection and behave responsibly towards themselves and others. But frankly, if people do not fulfill this simple standard, should I myself really care about their feelings?

To clarify: I am not against people having fun. But I argue that this need for enjoyment does not trump the right of locals to decide on how they want to live their life.

So I call yours a very weak argument.

Your misunderstanding of my point about smoking weed is glaring. I did not say that people come here because they want to smoke, but it was an example that there are widely differing attitudes to a wide range of drugs in this world -- alcohol being simply one of many (and to some, one of the more dangerous and destructive ones).

So my point still stands: if you are dependent on daily drug use, inform yourself, if it is legal and available during your stay. If you do not and this really ruins your holiday, the joke is on you.

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

There's the exaggerated projection...  these rules are not 'ruining' anyones holiday... 

BUT, the reasons for such rules are flawed, and the impact the enjoyment of tourists and others who are relaxing....

That was exactly the argument brought forward by some here, that holidays worth thousands of pounds were ruined because people could not have a "glass of red wine with their meal" during a very limited number of special days.

If people are not dependent on consumption, not having a glass of wine and drinking a glass of coconut juice instead would not impact their holiday at all.

That those rules might not make sense to many, was a cental part of my previous post, so we are not in total disagreement there. But if tourists do not inform themselves before flying half around the planet, my sympathy for them is really limited.

20 minutes ago, jts-khorat said:

So I call yours a very weak argument.

Whether you call it weak or not - I'd suggest your views are very much in the minority.

Thai people are of course, entitled to do as they wish but how many of them would actually refrain from drinking if it was not banned on so called Holy Days? Why should that apply to visitors?  There is no reason why those who wish to have a drink should not be able to - those who see not drinking as a religious obligation can simply not drink.

How, for example, would me having a bottle of Chang cause any problem at all for a native? Abstention from drinking should be a choice, not something that is imposed. 

If its so important to Thai's, they would do it voluntarily, not have to be told to by a heavily authoritarian, patriarchal government.

Disney park?  Of course that's how tourists treat it - they are on holiday and spending their money in Thailand.  That is what Thailand wants is it not?

10 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

The fact that the Party who gained a plurality in the election stated their goal of rescinding the alcohol ban suggests what the Thai people want. Move Forward Party is Thai, so it isn't foreigners asking the Thais to rescind their own religious traditions to 'comfort ignorant mass tourists'.

An excellent point.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Why should that apply to visitors?

For the same reason, why tourists in New York better also put a paper bag around their spirits if they want to consume them, even though some might see it as senseless.

But when in Rome...

Or are you that exceptionalist, that you believe that the laws of a country should not be valid for westerners who want to amuse themselves? That is a pretty parochial and colonialist attitude.

15 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Anecdotally, I have been visiting Thai friends in rural areas on Buddha days and everyone got drunk at dinner, just like they do on non-Buddha days.

I am not sure that your circle of friends, being drunk daily, is as good an argument for daily alcohol use by everybody else, as you seem to think.

44 minutes ago, jts-khorat said:

Your misunderstanding of my point about smoking weed is glaring. I did not say that people come here because they want to smoke, but it was an example that there are widely differing attitudes to a wide range of drugs in this world -- alcohol being simply one of many (and to some, one of the more dangerous and destructive ones).

The question of whether anything that people choose to consume is dangerous or not is irrelevant to this discussion - other than to say, if it is dangerous - I don't see how banning it for a few days each year is going to help.

Further, your underlying assertion appears to be that everyone who drinks, does so to excess and can't do without it.  The vast majority of people don't get drunk but do enjoy a drink.  When people are on holiday they don't want to be restricted by stupid, pointless laws.  Again you rattle on about people doing some form or research before they travel - I doubt many would be searching for what days alcohol is banned in Thailand.  Its a little known point - unlike those middle eastern countries where alcohol is totally banned.

Think about this - the Thai government bans achohol on a few days each year, presumably because they think its good for the people.  Why then, do they not pay attention to the real effects of drinking too much alcohol - drink driving for example?  Hundreds, if not thousands of people are killed or seriously injured every year in Thailand by drunk drivers yet there is little enforcement.  Apart from Songkran and New Year, you will rarely see the police after 5pm in many areas.  Even the new points system allows drunk drivers to be caught 3 times before they are banned.  Contrast that with the enforcement of alcohol bans on holy days - whilst it is different from area to area, the alcohol bans are the most widely enforced rules I've ever seen in the country.  In Bangkok the police tour around visiting alcohol selling establishments to check them out - many venues close altogether.

Banning alcohol on holy days is not done for the good of the people, its simply a matter of control, reminding the people that they are not actually free - despite the meaning of the name Thai - land.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jts-khorat said:

Or are you that exceptionalist, that you believe that the laws of a country should not be valid for westerners who want to amuse themselves? That is a pretty parochial and colonialist attitude.

I believe in freedom of choice - for both Thai's and tourists.  I wonder how many governement officials will refrain from having a beer or a glass of wine with their evening meal on holy days?

You have a right to your views but I think you'd have to admit that like the Thai government, your views are in the minority.  Another reason why Thailand is not a true democracy.

Can you come up with one legitimate reason why banning alcohol for 5 or so days per year will be of benefit to Thai people?

15 hours ago, kwilco said:

Drinkers are a pretty predictable group as are most people dependant of drugs.

One needs to understand that addiction or dependency on alcohol is a very complex issue, and quitting can be challenging for some individuals. So confronting it is often beyond the ken of many drinkers whilst others remain in denial as they fear facing or miscalculate the consequences of a life without the drug.

"I can give up whenever I want" is a common phrase used by drinkers – but of course, they never do. It’s merely a form of self-assurance or a way to downplay their dependency on alcohol.

The reasons for this piece of self-deception can include

Denial, by stating that they can quit whenever they want, they may be trying to convince themselves or others that they have control over their drinking habits.

Justification. It’s used as an attempt to justify current drinking behaviour. By asserting control, they feel justified in continuing to drink because they have convinced themselves and they think others, that they can stop at any time.

Then there is social pressure. In many social circles or peer groups, excessive alcohol consumption is normalized or even encouraged. By claiming they can quit whenever they want, drinkers try to deflect concerns or judgments from others about their drinking habits, often by trying to claim the others drink too….they often don’t realise they are the only one intoxicated I the room.

Other drinkers use this statement to downplay the negative consequences of their drinking. By asserting that they could quit easily, they feel that they have avoided facing the reality of the harm alcohol may be causing to their health, relationships, or other aspects of their life.

"Drinkers are a pretty predictable group as are most people dependant of drugs."

I think that most people don't stop drinking because they don't WANT to! Most people I know would never say "I can give up whenever I want", because they don't NEED to!

(And I presume you mean "dependant ON drugs - not dependant OF drugs?)

Edited by sambum
Duplicate text
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jts-khorat said:

So my point still stands: if you are dependent on daily drug use, inform yourself, if it is legal and available during your stay. If you do not and this really ruins your holiday, the joke is on you

Again you imply that people who drink are dependent - where do you get that from? What people don't want, and from the election results, I'd say this includes most Thai's, is to have ridiculous, pointless laws, imposed on them.

And again, you retain the viewpoint that people should check before they travel - they don't because this, if you are not aware, is the 21st century and although in many ways its not, Thailand is perceived as being a liberal country.

If I was travelling to Thailand for the first time, and travelling for a holiday, I might search for what injections I need and what the entry requirements are - not whether alcohol is banned on some of my travel dates.  I'd suggest most people do the same.  Word of mouth is a strong seller - and most people who have visited Thailand report having a great time - which is what most of us want when on holiday. Freedom without ridiculous, pointless restriction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Again you imply that people who drink are dependent - where do you get that from? What people don't want, and from the election results, I'd say this includes most Thai's, is to have ridiculous, pointless laws, imposed on them.

And again, you retain the viewpoint that people should check before they travel - they don't because this, if you are not aware, is the 21st century and although in many ways its not, Thailand is perceived as being a liberal country.

If I was travelling to Thailand for the first time, and travelling for a holiday, I might search for what injections I need and what the entry requirements are - not whether alcohol is banned on some of my travel dates.  I'd suggest most people do the same.  Word of mouth is a strong seller - and most people who have visited Thailand report having a great time - which is what most of us want when on holiday. Freedom without ridiculous, pointless restriction.

And although it is slightly off topic, these "holy days" are often poorly advertised, and Immigration Offices are closed! (OK if you are an ex pat you should know these things, but a normal tourist looking for an extension?) I was subject to a ridiculous scenario a few months ago when my 90 day report date was due on a Saturday - when AFAIK ALL Immigration Offices are closed!!! 

6 minutes ago, sambum said:

And although it is slightly off topic, these "holy days" are often poorly advertised, and Immigration Offices are closed! (OK if you are an ex pat you should know these things, but a normal tourist looking for an extension?) I was subject to a ridiculous scenario a few months ago when my 90 day report date was due on a Saturday - when AFAIK ALL Immigration Offices are closed!!! 

What do you mean "advertised"? My home country doesn't "advertise" holidays either...

Just buy a Thai calendar. Or the free extension for your calendar app. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, sambum said:

They are all closed on Saturday and Sunday. These bad offices... ????

Didn't use the confused emoji at you posting ????

• Haha 2