The history of Thailand’s holy-day alcohol ban – and why it could soon be lifted

webfact

6 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Anyone who 'agonizes' over bars not legally being able to serve alcohol for 24 hours should probably see a doctor. 

Ridiculous statement. Strawman much

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

The 11 to 5  sales ban is very very very very annoying when your grocery shopping and needs to go 100%......

A few days of no sales for religion.....Is ZERO problem and is good because all the bar workers are free to vist the Temples.......It shoud be kept......

where in some temples the monks secretly drink beer as we could read yesterday or today,  are gambling, having sex, keep a lot of money etc etc... but the alcohol is the problem for lay people on these days

Edited by ikke1959

19 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

And even more ???????? crazy is the 3 hour ban 2-5 every afternoon. Hopefully ditching that nonsense too. 

Most of this government implemented policy stuff is a shambles...ill-though out..flip-flops on anything brought in...moronfest at the top government level.

Am sure it can't be that bad in Viet Nam or Malaysia.....they are like low IQ grifters the lot of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, kwilco said:

Difficult to know which is more dangerous, religion or alcohol...

When the  local vicar has been on the communion wine is when you need to worry!

36 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Agonized? Nah, mildly inconvenienced that I forgot to stock up and now have to pay an extra 10 baht/bottle.

Also annoying when you want a few cans of Heineken zero, but you're not allowed to buy it as they still consider it alcohol. Ended up going to a friend's place in another province. All my Thai friends were drinking wine and I'm sat there supping water as I had to drive. ???? No mom and pop shop to help me out on that one. 

This issue was already hotly debated as I came to Thailand the first time shortly before the turn of the century. Nothing has ever changed since then.

My personal feeling: I would prefer that Buddhist holidays are a time of contemplation, and alcohol simply hinders this. On the other hand, Thais are prone to party, also on those days, so this ban was mostly ineffective anyaways.

However, the thing that irks me most is the messenger; is Move Forward not exactly the party who wants to recriminalize ganja? I smell some real hypocrisy here, and in Thailand this only means one thing: business interests and shady money must be involved.

Edited by jts-khorat

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Why ?

Sounds like it's coming from someone who has no self-control and unable to keep their vices in check. No control, so now want to impose their weakness on everyone to make themselves feel better.

Sad lot, those. ????

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

Anyone who 'agonizes' over bars not legally being able to serve alcohol for 24 hours should probably see a doctor. 

So bar owners who have to lose a days business several times a year needs to see a Doctor??? ???? Ok then!

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Abstaining from intoxicants such as alcohol is one of the Five Precepts that all Buddhists are encouraged to follow.

But only for five days a year, the five religious holidays. On all the other days, no problem, despite abstaining being one of the Five Precepts. Anyone able to explain the logic of that hypocrisy? Religious nonsense.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, RandolphGB said:

...drinkers who have long agonized over the alcohol ban

Just nonsense that the author made up, based on no facts at all.

11 hours ago, shackleton said:

Yes do away with the 1100hrs -1400hrs where you can buy alcohol products

I have to organise the wife's shopping around this time

Plus could be confusing to first time tourists as well ???? 

Shop at mom and pop stores... they give no <deleted> for the 11am to 2pm law !!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Every article keeps stating this as fact, but it's totally false. The "Revolutionary Decree" was revived around 20 years ago under the puritanical Interior Minister Purachai duringThaksin's administration, and the 2015 regulation just re-codified the same policy.

The same minister who wanted bars to close at 10 and nightclubs at midnight.