The share saga that threatens to end Thai hopes for a liberal prime minister

webfact

4 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Are these shares traded? Can he actually sell them?

From the linked article...

The PM’s Secretariat Office had terminated iTV’s concession contract on May 7, 2007 and its frequency was taken over by the Thai Public Broadcasting Service (Thai PBS) in 2008.

After iTV’s frequency was blocked, its share value dropped to practically zero.

The intent of the law(s) mentioned is to insure that a candidate does not use their influence with a media outlet to enhance their election chances. Given that iTV is defunct this would seem to be a non-issue, but it is Thailand so...

I'm shocked that the EC has "accepted" a complaint. And I'll be shocked if it is referred to the Constitutional Court, and I'll be shocked if the Constitutional Court accepts the case.

Surely the Powers that Be can find some reasonable charges against Pita?

Private shares can be sold privately.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Thank you for that,correction, but excuse my ignorance in the terminology,  I am American and we have a different much supperior governing system :tongue:

But as appreciate the correction is , it does not answer my question 

Not sure what your question is. 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Can they though?

Who would set the price?  

The buyer. Private shares are bought and sold all the time. Pre IPO private shares are how most get rich. An IPO is Initial Public Offering ie stock market listing. He could have just transferred ownership into a trust.

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Not sure what your question is. 

If they deny him the premiership  wont it then go to the runner up ? and wouldn't that be worst for the establishment? I am sure Thaksin position would be exponentially increased if his daughter becomes PM, and as such Pita might be a better choice for the establishment.

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

If they deny him the premiership  wont it then go to the runner up ? and wouldn't that be worst for the establishment? I am sure Thaksin position would be exponentially increased if his daughter becomes PM, and as such Pita might be a better choice for the establishment.

What premiership? Runner up? You talking about soccer?

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

If they deny him the premiership  wont it then go to the runner up ?

Caretaker Deputy Prime Minister, and self-appointed "legal expert", Wissanu Krea-ngam is squawking about this share saga leading to a voiding of the entire election, and the need for a new election.

So there's that.

• Like 2