Republican red meat: Ron DeSantis bids to outflank Trump on the right

onthedarkside

image.png.be4ab113115f848eec8dbcf6117b3a59.png

Donald Trump is not the most rightwing candidate running for the White House. That is a statement few would have thought possible after the former president’s brand of nativist-populism reshaped the Republican party’

But as the Republican primary election for 2024 gathers pace, Trump finds himself eclipsed on the right by Ron DeSantis, the governor of Florida, who is betting that the party’s voters are spoiling for an even more extreme agenda.

From Covid to crime, from immigration to cultural issues, DeSantis is staking out territory that leaves the 76-year-old frontrunner fending off a once unthinkable criticism: he might be a bit too liberal.

READ MORE

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jun/11/ron-desantis-trump-republican-2024

image.png.995d7776062630f396828424edb5e932.png

Is bobble head Ronnie going full gestapo now?I doubt he’s electable with his views on guns ,abortion,immigration,voting rights,education,ect ect the majority of Americans don’t share his views.he does bear keeping an eye on he’s definitely a danger to democracy lmo

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tug said:

Is bobble head Ronnie going full gestapo now?I doubt he’s electable with his views on guns ,abortion,immigration,voting rights,education,ect ect the majority of Americans don’t share his views.he does bear keeping an eye on he’s definitely a danger to democracy lmo

He might get nominated if Trump gets sent to prison, but I think his EXTERMIST actions on abortion in Florida will probably be his undoing against Biden. Also polls show Americans don't care as much about his anti woke HYSTERIA as much as he thinks they do. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

He might get nominated if Trump gets sent to prison, but I think his EXTERMIST actions on abortion in Florida will probably be his undoing against Biden. Also polls show Americans don't care as much about his anti woke HYSTERIA as much as he thinks they do. 

Yeah my guess is he'll win the nomination but lose the election, his positions are too extreme for far too many swing voters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Quite possible another case of faux protesters. Remember the ones who tried to derail Glen Younkin in the Virginia governor's race? 

Perhaps another sign of the fear DeSantis brings to the hearts of Biden supporters. The last thing they would want to see is Biden get on a debate stage with a younger, sharper, more mentally agile opponent.  I am not a huge DeSantis fan (he would be my 4th or 5th pick for the nomination), but he would crush Biden. 

Naa no fear as you would like to think,I think it’s more like revulsion nausea vomiting that sorta thing every one sees him for what he is a wanna be authoritarian a little hitler or something similar he’s sure working their play book hard.

• Like 1

A day before the deadline Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis gave to the College Board to comply with his law restricting classroom discussions of sexual orientation and gender identity by amending its Advanced Placement class curricula, the company told the Republican governor's administration that it will not be making the demanded changes.

https://www.rawstory.com/desantis-ap-college-board/

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

He sent another busload of 40 migrants, including women and children, to California the other day. 23 hours on a bus, no food provided.

One of them was about to travel to New York for an immigration interview.

They got off the bus, after 23 hours, hungry, confused and afraid.

Not to offer any solution to the migrant problem, not in any way to help the people concerned - just to be mean and " own the libs"!

The man is an utter bastard!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, herfiehandbag said:

He sent another busload of 40 migrants, including women and children, to California the other day. 23 hours on a bus, no food provided.

Not to offer any solution to the migrant problem, not in any way to help the people concerned - just to be mean and " own the libs"!

He's definitely a fascist. It says a lot that the second major party in the US has two fascists leading their nomination fight. That party deserves to die.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
45 minutes ago, quake said:

The man is a coming back.

trump 4.JPG

Rather early to celebrate that.

A signficant percentage of Haley supporters are saying they will either not vote or vote for President Biden if it's Trump vs. Biden. That means Trump loses.

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2023 at 11:23 PM, onthedarkside said:

Donald Trump is not the most rightwing candidate running for the White House.

It's a zombie thread, but whatever.

Trump is not extreme right wing, despite the lefty desire to taint him with that accusation.

IMO he's on the slightly right side of the divide.

On 6/18/2023 at 4:27 PM, herfiehandbag said:

If he's a "bastard", America needs more "bastards", IMO.

I see no need to be nice to people that invade a country ( not just the US ) without being invited, and expect to be looked after.

They should stay home and fix their own problems.

California and NY deserve to have them all, IMO, though a few thousand more could be sent to Martha's Vineyard.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If he's a "bastard", America needs more "bastards", IMO.

I see no need to be nice to people that invade a country ( not just the US ) without being invited, and expect to be looked after.

They should stay home and fix their own problems.

California and NY deserve to have them all, IMO, though a few thousand more could be sent to Martha's Vineyard.

A curious mix of extreme domestic political bigotry (California, New York and Martha's Vineyard) and good old fashioned racism (oh my God, they're not white!)

Add a strong splash of irony, America's record of invading other countries uninvited, and then a taster, in the sense that many of the countries which they have come from are in a mess because of a) political destabilisation by American policies over the last century and more recently your total unwillingness to control your huge domestic and internationally criminal "recreational drugs" market.

MAGA distilled and encapsulated!

Edited by herfiehandbag