Alcohol Control Laws in Thailand to be a Divisive Issue in the Post Election Period

webfact

2 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

" Fifty Years "

That is a clear and concise reason why the confusion exist nearly every problem that exist here is self inflicted.

The problem is that there are tens of thousands other nonsense laws that are just ignored, but can be pulled out of the hat if wanted. There should be a reform commission that goes thru all the old laws....
Or just cancel every law that is older than 20 years, if it is not reconfirmed.

1 hour ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

The sales hour laws had been conveniently forgotten until Mr Thaksin revived it. Religious festival bans are tolerable but can disappoint tourists. And clarification of laws for police should be a priority. Will we have weed free days instead?

Yes typical Taksin, UN agency noted alcoholism  a problem in rural Thailand, recommended pricing based on Alcohol %, a real vote loser if imposed on lao cow (white whisky) so the old law on selling times re introduced and tax on beer (farang drink) upped. Problem solved? Of course not but no up country votes lost.

5 minutes ago, kennw said:

Yes typical Taksin, UN agency noted alcoholism  a problem in rural Thailand, recommended pricing based on Alcohol %, a real vote loser if imposed on lao cow (white whisky) so the old law on selling times re introduced and tax on beer (farang drink) upped. Problem solved? Of course not but no up country votes lost.

And not only Thaksin...Prayut also increased the same nonsense tax...also massive increasing smuggling

1 hour ago, h90 said:

The alcohol sales law might be 50 years old, but it was dead law till Thaksin reactivated it....

True. And what about the morning ban? You can't do your grocery shopping in the morning and pick up a bottle of beer or wine to enjoy later on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

True. And what about the morning ban? You can't do your grocery shopping in the morning and pick up a bottle of beer or wine to enjoy later on.

That is an irritation as I also shop  early in town, but there are more choices than the 7-11 or Big-C. I have a couple of distributors near me that sell at any time. Individual cans and bottles too....one even has the beers chilled to go. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If they're going to relax the liquor laws, I hope they increase enforcement and penalties for drunk driving. 

Too often farangs that are too drunk to walk, get on their bike and drive away. That needs to be stopped.

• Confused 2

The beer brewing industry was deregulated 2 Nov 2022 by ministerial edict. 

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thailands-new-liquor-regulation-small-brewers-delight-or-business-as-usual/

Since then the market has exploded, more than the cannabis market amazingly.

The distilled spirits market is, like most things here in Thailand, still a bit loosey-goosey, and not as unregulated as the craft beer industry. Distilled white spirits (rice, sugar cane) are actually legal, and are MASSIVE. But they are limited to small distillers with 'traditional' history, and support of OTOP. Phrae and Chaiyaphum are the centers of this industry.

Even PM Pita has been extolling the virtues of this market, perhaps as a result of his rejuvenation of the family's rice bran oil business?

“At night, I love to drink local Sangvein Spirits, which are made from sugarcane from the central province of Suphan Buri,” he said. He also suggested Kilo, from the southern province of Krabi, saying we should add value to local sugarcane and his government has the intention to promote local liquors abroad.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/is-pita-a-real-influencer/

The alcohol control freaks might have to have a bone or two tossed their way, so the day sales hour thing may stay. But the midnight rule will not be granted.

Online ad-hoc advertising is already off the hook. No way to reel that back in.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Marco51 said:

.....and he also introduced an energy savings bill, gas stations would have to be closed at 22hundred until I think it was 5 in the morning. The result was an incredible amount of energy spent by truck drivers and others queuing up at all gas stations from 2100 to get their gas tanks filled before the hour of doom. Seeing that he made a booboo he quickly revised the law, so that highway gas stations were exempt so every pick up or sedan anywhere near a highway started queing up at highway gas stations after 2200. Seeing that he made a booboo , probably pointed out by a journalist when he forgot to hold up his Stop sign to them, he revised the complete law. As almost all laws here they are of the "do something quick version, think about function later type" with the following amendments "queuing " up or simply made to be so wishy washy as to be interpreted by anyone and his dog differently while the judiciary goes by the letter and never by the sense of the law because some of those senses are a bit difficult to understand....... lest one be military or have some other agenda in the back of the head. Many of these laws indeed exist , sprouting from the military and a time when paper&pen were the ultimate technology, foreigners were the exception and the belief in whole buildings for documents and copies of documents and copies of the latter were a guarantor for national security and the establishment's well being. So the 90 days revival by the military after one of the previous coups and the TM30 revival making it mandatory even for long term visa holders to report in and out if driving for a game of golf from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai and staying, goddess forbid, overnight and paying with Credit Card.

This law by the way is from 1972 written and installed by: surprise, the military.

Did I mention that around the time of the last coup someone introduced the requirement for foreigners AND Thais alike to show and have registered an ID, passport or in this case possible: a Thai drivers' licence when sending out a letter, package or anything else by mail. Probably because finally the P. can now trace all the Ya Baa pills being sent by letter. Don't ever even think of any other motivation, on y soit qui mal y pense.

Lately the banks are of a similar persuasion, albeit probably to convince the non-believers of the advantage to the banks and governments for a cashless society, that as a foreigner I cannot cash in my own cheques without a passport (Thai drivers licence is not enough) , a copy and another signature like that the computer has already approved of and being personally known at the branch for 20 plus years. A new regulation I came across last week was that additionally to this passport copy there is a print out to be signed stating that the signed passport copy is indeed a passport copy of my passport. Extremely useful especially for my account and the national security. Lying awake at night I sometimes fantasise that someone somewhere in government or affiliated tails has a paper company and a large construction company building all,  the required spaces to keep these records. Then again I read that applicants of visas and other neccessary paperwork had to use the backs of other applicants' older copies of bank statements, passport copies or similar. Aaaah, I thought, here we go, they do recycling too now, congratulations. I will recommend this idea in Europe next time I go.......with an application form for a Re-Entry stamp on my long term visa. It all falls into place now, doesn't it?!......................Michael Ende, sorry, no, moi..............

I think it is not a Military or Thaksin (or civilian) question....they are all very similar. The only good thing is that they are inefficient....If they would be efficient like Germans following every detail of the law the country would stand still. But we have the same tendencies in Europe. When I grew up the post things were secret, bank accounts were secret, you could have anonymous saving accounts where you not even needed to tell your name. That was your right for privacy. It was normal to send the the 7-8 year old to buy cigarettes and beer for the father. No one checked the age and there was no problem with kids drinking or smoking and there was less crime so all the laws didn't help.

• Thanks 1

"........ the prohibition on sales of alcoholic beverages between 2 PM and 5 PM"

Absolutely RIDICULOUS law! What was even more ridiculous in some stores,  was having a girl at the checkout at the entrance to the "liquor" department watching the unwary  stock up, only to tell them "no can have"!!!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, loong said:

Not only is the ban on alcohol sales before 11 AM and between 2 - 5 PM totally ridiculous, it makes absolutely no sense.

At those times my local 7-11 cannot sell alcohol but I can go into the bar next door and buy a beer at twice the price!

If alcohol sales are banned why are bars allowed to sell it at these times?

My guess for why the ban.

The actual ban does make sense if you consider this.

The normal work was 9-5 

Lunch is usually on a staggered time between 11 and 2

Growing up it was and probably still is not that uncommon to see people take a late or long lunch.  

Also remember that in Thailand people cared about government employees and not others.

Therefore the last thing you would want is an employee drinking in the morning or not coming back after lunch or leaving early at the end of the day.

As we have discussed on an almost daily basis here you can not teach stupidity.  People will drink and will push the rules.

However, you can regulate stupidity to stop it or make it more difficult.

As to bars that are open during the time period they are usually in heavy tourist locations and I have never seen Thai drinking in the ones that I go to.

One of the things we at times forget is that the laws here are not our laws they are not to punish us.  They are Thai laws set out to "protect" the Thai people and businesses.

AGAIN I am sure that while you can not buy a beer at 3 there is no reason that if you are going to want a cool brew in the afternoon you can not buy them when the store is allowed to sell and put it in this strange new invention called the refrigerator unless, of course, you are one of those weird people that like warm beer.

Edited by kingstonkid

2 hours ago, Trippy said:

If they're going to relax the liquor laws, I hope they increase enforcement and penalties for drunk driving. 

Too often farangs that are too drunk to walk, get on their bike and drive away. That needs to be stopped.

Why single out white people, that's rascist!

7 hours ago, loong said:

Not only is the ban on alcohol sales before 11 AM and between 2 - 5 PM totally ridiculous, it makes absolutely no sense.

At those times my local 7-11 cannot sell alcohol but I can go into the bar next door and buy a beer at twice the price!

If alcohol sales are banned why are bars allowed to sell it at these times?

why are drinks warehouses allowed to SELL??? DURING THESE times ???

2 hours ago, sambum said:

"........ the prohibition on sales of alcoholic beverages between 2 PM and 5 PM"

Absolutely RIDICULOUS law! What was even more ridiculous in some stores,  was having a girl at the checkout at the entrance to the "liquor" department watching the unwary  stock up, only to tell them "no can have"!!!

I think if you are a restaurant owner you can buy outside the time...so the girl is waiting for that 1 per week restaurant owner.

• Thumbs Up 1