Roadway tragedy: Foreign motorcyclist’s fatal collision with street sign shakes Pattaya

snoop1130

20 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Early hours of the morning, powerful motorcycle, high speed. It all adds up doesn't it. 'And another one bites the dust'.

It used to be a regular occurrence on London's North Circular Road as well. I don't know whether it still happens there.

Not since the early 70s. Nowadays the Ace Cafe is a very fancy mecca for expensive car/bike meets and not really for the teenage bikers and the North Circular has been very sanitised.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Early hours of the morning, powerful motorcycle, high speed. It all adds up doesn't it. 'And another one bites the dust'.

It used to be a regular occurrence on London's North Circular Road as well. I don't know whether it still happens there.

IN Canada we call them crotch rockets.  Guys get their licence and instead of buying a mid-size bike and learning how to ride it they go out and buy these rockets strap them on the drive as fast as they can.

It is a shame.  Then add in the bar scene and early morning when there is no one else on the road along with possibly lax drinking laws and this is what you get.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I've read several times on this forum that us old folk shouldn't be riding motorcycles at our age because our reflexes are too slow!

I think that is nonsense. On the contrary I believe that riding a motorcycle regularly actually helps to keep one reflexes sharp. It's the well known principle of 'use them or loose them'. 

I'm 77 and still ride my Aerox regularly and my sharp reflexes have bailed me a few times on these sometimes crazy roads. That includes, by the way @Harsh Jones, using counter steering to get myself out of trouble.

The issue is not reflexes what you get old, it's how much harder it is to get up when you go down, 

I have had a good friend that dumped his bike at about 65 and never really recovered and was dead a few years later. It was something he/we would have jumped up from and laughed off when we were forty. 

14 hours ago, Moonlover said:

It's an interesting video but it is not about steering through a bend, it's about hazard avoidance. Something that every motorcyclist needs to know of course.

I stand by what I said, a motorcyclist would not steer the wrong way when going into a bend. He wouldn't have got round the very first bend he encountered if he did not intuitively know how to counter steer. In fact the commentor says that in so many words. Quote: If you ride a motorcycle, you already know this'.

You must not have finished the video. It clearly shows him steering the wrong way in slow motion, then double slow motion. 

I posted 3 news clippings showing motorcycles crashing by themselves in curves. Not in intersections, not in corners. Curves. So you think all 3 of these riders, most likely had a good grasp of the concept of counter steering ?

Edited by Harsh Jones

On 6/12/2023 at 5:23 PM, snoop1130 said:

man driving at high speed before losing control of his motorcycle on a curve

I'm not sure what all the hoo-ha is about.

What surprises me is that there are not more foreigner deaths on Pattaya roads.

Daily I see middle aged and elderly guys riding their motorbikes at speed, no helmet. It's a joke, these people have never grown up, it's surprising how they've made it to the age that they are now. 

These guys look weathered, they are not young anymore, wearing a helmet would disguise these aging features, it's probably the bar girls frequently yelling out 'sexy man' has allowed these guys to lose focus, they've lost touch with their obese, aged bodies. 

Over the last few months I see a guy, in his 40's, full of tattoos, no helmet, shirtless riding his Aerox around south Pattaya. Yesterday I noticed he's fitted a noisy exhaust on his little scooter, bahahaha ????

I reckon this guy should have spent some of his tattoo money on a gym membership, the smallish guy needs to build him self up if he's going to ride shirtless. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I think it's nonsense to think that a rider would steer the wrong way in a curve because he didn't know how to 'counter steer'.

I don't, it makes sense to me. If on a left bend, going quite fast, leaning left,  and getting too close to the right side kerb, an inexperienced rider will likely try to steer left, away from the edge. And this causes the bike to sit up and straighten up too. 

23 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I'd say it's more an issue regarding Incompetence mixed with alcohol. 

INCOMPETENCE

I was riding along 3rd road yesterday morning, the traffic was stopped for the red light, I wanted to turn left so I crossed the two lanes, maneuvering between the two cars, I stopped before entering the next lane, then at speed this silly old fool riding a PCX breaks heavily, stopping in front of me (he looked terrified, he panicked, unskilled, going to fast), I yelled out 'hurry up, get out of my way', he moved on and stopped further on yelling at me 'where did you get your <deleted> license from', I yelled back '<deleted> off you stupid <deleted>', then rode off around the corner.

Some people just shouldn't be on our roads . 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I don't, it makes sense to me. If on a left bend, going quite fast, leaning left,  and getting too close to the right side kerb, an inexperienced rider will likely try to steer left, away from the edge. And this causes the bike to sit up and straighten up too. 

Totally agree with you, I've done it! Slowing down in a bend will also induce the wrong counter steer and many inexperienced riders have done that to their cost. Even worse they might even brake when they realize they're going too fast and that is the worst thing of all to do. 

I'm not arguing against 'counter steering', I was simply challenging an earlier comment that the rider didn't know how to do it. All riders know how to counter steer, whether they've heard the term or not.

39 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Totally agree with you, I've done it! Slowing down in a bend will also induce the wrong counter steer and many inexperienced riders have done that to their cost. Even worse they might even brake when they realize they're going too fast and that is the worst thing of all to do. 

I'm not arguing against 'counter steering', I was simply challenging an earlier comment that the rider didn't know how to do it. All riders know how to counter steer, whether they've heard the term or not.

Yes, good point that not only might a person push the steering the wrong way, but also go for the brakes, which isn't going to get you out of trouble. Now don't assume I know how to ride a bike, I passed my test in UK when it was trivial easy.... couple of years on  a Honda Dream 250 then onto cars.. then bikes became something to use on vacations... and of course when I moved here it was nearly always on one, but just a little scooter. All this stuff I perhaps do without thinking... shifting my weight and leaning to steer. 

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

All this stuff I perhaps do without thinking... shifting my weight and leaning to steer. 

Correct, it's simply a more commonly used way of saying 'counter steering'. We do it instinctively just as we did on a push bike when we were young.

This is what is happening with most of these tourists on motorcycles in curves. They just don't get it.

This guy cant even begin to get the bike to turn. He just rides it almost straight into the rail.

WastefulCostlyBushbaby.webp

This guy almost does the same thing. Speed is not relevant to these accidents. He is fighting the lean and can't get the bike to turn.

ThoseHeartyFieldmouse-max-1mb.gif

13 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

You must not have finished the video. It clearly shows him steering the wrong way in slow motion, then double slow motion. 

I posted 3 news clippings showing motorcycles crashing by themselves in curves. Not in intersections, not in corners. Curves. So you think all 3 of these riders, most likely had a good grasp of the concept of counter steering ?

Sorry but you're wrong there. I watched the whole video several times, looking for the real reason for this accident, because I do not believe it is solely down to 'counter steering'. And I finally spotted it.

Take a look at my screen shot. When the rider spotted the truck he took his hand off the throttle! Closing the throttle whilst cornering is very unwise. It can destabilase the bike which in turn alarms the rider coursing him to panic and overreact.

I don't think he was counter steering the wrong way at all, he was fighting to regain control of his motorcycle. IMO If he'd kept the throttle open and held his line he'd have been quite safe.

303235398_Screenshot(18).png.7fc231fc2c1e776a7cfb7cdc11e2d2f9.png

14 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Sorry but you're wrong there. I watched the whole video several times, looking for the real reason for this accident, because I do not believe it is solely down to 'counter steering'. And I finally spotted it.

Take a look at my screen shot. When the rider spotted the truck he took his hand off the throttle! Closing the throttle whilst cornering is very unwise. It can destabilase the bike which in turn alarms the rider coursing him to panic and overreact.

I don't think he was counter steering the wrong way at all, he was fighting to regain control of his motorcycle. IMO If he'd kept the throttle open and held his line he'd have been quite safe.

It is the most obvious case of failed counter steering on the internet. And is being used by riding schools across the planet as a case study. 

2 hours ago, Harsh Jones said:

It is the most obvious case of failed counter steering on the internet. And is being used by riding schools across the planet as a case study. 

It may well be used for that purpose and I'm sure that it will impress the newbie riders in the classroom Neither would I object to its use for that purpose even though I know that it's not what it seems.

Those newbie in class wouldn't know any different, neither would they analyze the video in any detail. But I've been around and riding for much longer.

To me that's an inexperienced rider who panicked when he saw the truck approaching around the bend. He closed the throttle (whilst in a curve, naughty naughty) and induced a minor speed wobble. He then panicked some more and tried to correct it, but he had no hope of doing so. He was just lucky in that he collided with a firetruck.

I don't think we need discuss this any further, I'm sure we will simply stand our ground.

Take care and safe riding. (I presume you still do)