Thai interest rates raised to 2% by BoT amid core inflation worries

snoop1130

bot.jpg

The Monetary Policy Committee of the Bank of Thailand (BoT) anticipates ongoing economic growth with some potential risks, as evidenced by their decision to increase the key Thai interest rates for the sixth consecutive meeting, according to the minutes released recently.

On May 31, the committee unanimously agreed to increase the one-day repurchase rate by a quarter point to 2%, attributing the decision to rising core inflation. The minutes highlighted that policy rate normalisation would continue gradually, with the aim of maintaining positive real interest rates.

Thai interest rates are still low as a result of reductions implemented during the Covid-19 pandemic. The Central Bank has committed to a gradual return to normal levels that align with long-term economic growth prospects.

The minutes also noted that the potential for increased minimum wages could lead to the pass-through of labour costs. The BoT is set to review its policy on August 2, with some economists predicting a pause in rate hikes due to decreasing inflation.

By Alex Morgan

Caption: Photo Courtesy of Bank of Thailand, Facebook

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/business/bot-raises-interest-rate-to-2-amid-core-inflation-concerns

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-14

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

15 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Decreasing Inflation ? , not for anything I buy

I notice in Makro for the past 2 weeks that some products I frequently buy, and are from third party companies, have had significant price decreases. Some even 20%.

The very same articles, branded Aro or Savepak, are still at an all time high though. :whistling:

A little extreme perhaps but raises the point imo that while Pita may seem to be our best hope for an escape from the headlock of the establishment, there are probably things about him and his clan that will seem highly problematic if he ever arrives at his goal.

And while a 2% central bank rate is obviously low, at least anecdotally I don't see inflation taking off here the same as some other places.

Edited by Pink Mist
quoted post removed

I never visit bars or other entertainment venues and therefore have no idea about the prices. And I also don't know people going there (yes, life without this is possible even in Pattaya). But how does inflation change the price of their services? The drinks, the lady drinks, the bar fines, entertainment costs. Has that gotten more expensive?